8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » First roll of 8mm film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First roll of 8mm film
Chris Smart
Junior

- posted October 21, 2019 08:55 PM      Profile for Chris Smart   Email Chris Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my first roll of film back and I'm trying to understand what I did wrong. The film isn't viewable. I think I saw 1 or 2 frames that looked normal for a split second. It's mostly exposed correctly but the frames are distorted and sometimes look double exposed. It's hard to explain. It's as if the film didn't feed correctly or theres something wrong with my cameras film gate.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Is there a way to diagnose if it's a film loading issue or a shutter gate/camera issue?

I'm shooting with a Bolex P3 Zoom Reflex

--------------------
csmart

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2019 09:19 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pic (or two) of your actual film, clearly showing that "defect" would be very helpful. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Leonard Goss
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2019 11:02 AM      Profile for Leonard Goss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a camera problem to me. Had a similar thing with a Sankyo camera many years ago, the claw wasn't engaging the film properly.

--------------------
A fan of 8mm movies since the mid 1960s and still as keen as ever!

Chris Smart
Junior

- posted October 22, 2019 01:18 PM      Profile for Chris Smart   Email Chris Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for the replies! I will try to upload a video if i can because a single frame doesnt look like much. I examined the film on a viewer where I can slow it down and look at it frame by frame. The start of the film has a couple perfectly aligned images but then it goes chaotic after about 10 images or so. Hardly ever aligning with the frame and the images looking stretched and distorted. There are a few rare frames where It worked fine but most of the time you can see the black bar between images sitting around the centre of the frame.

Leonard, were you able to get the claw fixed?

--------------------
csmart

Leonard Goss
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2019 02:39 PM      Profile for Leonard Goss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Chris I didn't get it fixed, it was a used item which I returned to the store and exchanged for a new Quarz 5 with cash adjustment. Hope you manage t get yours fixed though. Best wishes.

--------------------

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2019 07:47 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then that sounds much like the claw didn't engage the film properly, or bad takeup mech. That's why the film bunched up after a few frames&causing that blurry mess.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 22, 2019 08:17 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought of a loop problem but if it was that, you would only have had a faulty result on half of the film then, if we except a very bad luck, it should have been fixed when you ran the spool the second time in the camera for the other side. If it's a claw problem, it may be not worth even trying to fix it. Sadly.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 02:40 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle had a camera where the pull down and exposure didn't fit right, it started the exposure before the film was stationary so all but the first frame were blurred. There can be many mechanical problems that cause picture defects.

Chris Smart
Junior

- posted October 23, 2019 06:26 AM      Profile for Chris Smart   Email Chris Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all so much for the replies. I was hoping it was user error but I think Dominique made a very good point. One side of the double 8 should of been ok.

I'm going to take it back to where I got the CLA and see if they can fix it. I've already spent so much money on this camera I would hate to give up on it.

--------------------
csmart

Leonard Goss
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 08:41 AM      Profile for Leonard Goss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with it Chris, hope you can get it fixed ok.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC