8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Just starting out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just starting out
Michael Lamb
Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 10:37 PM      Profile for Michael Lamb   Email Michael Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Per the title, I am wanting to get into this hobby and have been trying to learn where to start. I have been a vintage audio guy for a while and don't mind working on older equipment. Here's what I think I'm after, any input would be awesome:

I am looking for suggestions on a good starter super 8 with sound. I believe I read that duals with sound were only made by Eumig but there may have been others noted later in the postings. I'm not sure I need a dual but I wouldn't shy away from one recommended on here either if it showed up locally.

I have fond memories of watching my grandparents home movies and remember well the sound of the old projectors. I was even the AV kid in school and loved it when a film broke and I got to splice it back together. The movie would start up again and the class would either cheer or groan depending on what we were watching.

Anyway, I can be patient watching for something local but don't know yet what to watch for or what questions to ask a seller.

It would be awesome if there was a sticky here and there might be that I haven't found yet, to help us new folks just starting out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 05, 2019 09:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Mike!

The Eumig 800s are a might funky, but in some respects, the one I have is one of my best projectors. It's deadly reliable, I've had it 17 years now and I've taken it apart so little that I honestly can't say I really know the thing inside and out.

Dual 8 sound really comes into its own when you encounter R8 sound films. While they aren't exactly rare, they are unusual.

My personal favorites are what I call the "Lesser Elmos": ST-180, ST-600 and ST-800. They are capable of of good image and sound (-especially through amp) and I believe the smaller reel capacity keeps them from showing up with as much guide wear as the 1200 Foot capacity Elmo machines. (These are all Super-8 only.)

Close second (to me) are the Eumig 800s. Mine puts up a really nice picture. Other than the greater hum, the sound is pretty decent through an amp. Drawbacks are the fact that if you don't pay close attention when you clean the gate you can damage the claw and I'm not too keen on rewind being bent over a roller on the machine's body. What else is funky is the lamp has a warm-up mode for longer service life. This means the fan is running whenever the machine is plugged in so it doesn't go quiet when it's idle and the lamp may throw a dim light on the screen and partially wash out some other projector's picture! . Yes: quirky, but I'm glad I have mine. (These come either dual 8 or Super 8 only.)

These are all plentiful: it's good to be able to find spare parts.

Whatever you choose, look for common machines with an easy to replace lamp. A sound projector you can't get a lamp for is just a really awkward reel to reel tape player!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 05, 2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite of the Eumig 800 series is the 824. With this later model Eumig incorporated many new features.
I can thoroughly recommend this model.
https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_eumig/eumig_824sonomatic.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Michael Lamb
Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2019 12:03 PM      Profile for Michael Lamb   Email Michael Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the suggestions and tips. I'm sure I'll also be asking lots of questions about maintaining and repairing as time goes on. Along with trying my hand at modifications at some point.

Any thoughts on the Sankyo Sound 500?

Truly grateful,
Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC