8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tough questions concerning a recent acquisition with VS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tough questions concerning a recent acquisition with VS
Nate Lockhart
Junior

- posted November 17, 2019 12:05 AM      Profile for Nate Lockhart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a question related to my issue on the Facebook film collecting groups, but I figure it's worth posting here too:
I recently got an 8mm print of Tol'able David from eBay for a great price. When it arrived, I took a look at it and gave it a whiff - it smells like vinegar.
Now my question is this: do I take the time and money to go through with cleaning it with Film Guard, and storing it with molecular sieves, or should I just give up on it? I was hoping to be able to show it at my Silent Film Night series at my local library.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 17, 2019 04:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's got VS you won't get rid of it with FilmGuard, or any other way.
You can probably slow down its demise, by storing well ventilated in a cool place and nowhere near any other films which might be affected.
You can still show at the moment unless it's warped.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 17, 2019 04:49 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nate, I would ask for ask for a refund myself, if you feel like doing that.

Re the print if you run it through a projector I would go super nuts cleaning the projector afterwards before any non VS films go through.

My own route to be honest would be straight to the bin and look out for another print.

Try to buy prints kept in cardboard rather than plastic or metal tins which sadly a lot of std 8 seem to be in.

Though its no guarantee, just improves the odds.

My son quite fancies getting in to super 8 silents but to be honest VS worries me even in the UK, as although not as prevelant it is about now.

Sadly although sometimes people don`t know what it is when selling films left by family or found in a loft etc, there are lots of sellers who will still sell films they know have VS and hope they don`t come back etc.

When I`ve run the very odd VS print its really irritated my eyes, so have the 100% bin policy now.

About 18 odd years ago in the UK I was offered a 4 x 400 Blackhawk super 8 of the gold rush the chap actually told me had pretty bad VS and he wanted £50 for it !!!

He obviously suffered badly from the " I own its so its worth money " syndrome. Though that condition only tends to work in one direction.

Anyway sorry to hear of the bad luck, you can buy molecular sieves that do slow things by absorbing the acetic acid. And Filmguard would make it run better if you do try.

But I`d look for another or show the DVD/BR for now if it was me.

Best Mark.

PS, after posting, just posted after Maurice had so some things said twicish.

Nate Lockhart
Junior

- posted November 17, 2019 11:39 AM      Profile for Nate Lockhart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess what my question comes down to is this - is an 8mm or Super 8mm print of Tol'able David rare enough that it's worth the $70 that it's ultimately going to cost me to try and preserve it?

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m interested in views here. I’ve had an odd print in the past that had a slight acetic odour but some 10 years on the smell hasn’t changed and tgevprint is fine. I don’t think it has VS but some other explanation. Anybthoughts

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2019 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Derann feature I bought used that showed up reeking of vinegar, even though it is polyester. As nearly as I can figure the boxes had absorbed the smell from other films it was kept with. 15 years later it's still fine.

I have one Blackhawk feature that's a little stinky. (It's Steamboat Bill Jr., a really great film.) I'm kind of surprised since I'd assumed Blackhawks also aren't acetate.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 18, 2019 01:51 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tol'able David doesn't seem to be rare, I own a (standard/regular 8) print.

--------------------
Dominique

Nate Lockhart
Junior

- posted November 19, 2019 01:11 PM      Profile for Nate Lockhart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may just junk it then if it isn't that rare. The inside of the plastic reel it's on looks like it's been acid washed. I'd get you guys some pictures, but I've got my sweet 4-month old daughter sleeping on my lap.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC