8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking For Super 8mm Leader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking For Super 8mm Leader
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 17, 2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is a good place to find a roll of super 8mm film leader? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2005 12:55 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Firstly I should complement you on the quality of your header, I am sure Brad will give you a gold star (esp if you are the last one on the forum LOL! [Mad]

Ah, but then again, perhaps your title is misleading? Do you mean the kind of Leader that will take super 8 as a hobby forward of the kind you stuff in the front of the projector? [Confused]

Assuming it is the latter, in the UK I use LGP Cine, Lelant House, Royston Grove, Hatch End, Pinner, Middlesex HA5 4HD
Tel: 44 (0)20 8421 3666

He has a very wide selection of leaders and if he can't post to you then I would be happy to arrange to do so. If you can't find it in the US then let me know. I bought 400ft of clear sound striped leader for $18 last year-good stuff!.

Tony

[ January 18, 2005, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Tony Milman ]

--------------------
Tony

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2005 06:43 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan there is a place here in Minneapolis called film and video where I get my leader a 200ft roll was less than $20. If interested let me know I can get you a roll or you can get order it yourself through the mail, Jim

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using solid white leader check it for static cling. If it has it, then do not use it as even after film renew or filmguard it will still produce static in the projector and jams will occur during autoload.

I have found the best leader to use is an old faded print that is not watchable due to color fade. Just pick up an old digest print on Ebay or through the film vendors and cut it up as needed. I know this sounds awfully sad to film collectors to do this, but I have found this is the best trouble free leader.

I had so much trouble with the Neumade Feista leader that I finally dumped it and will never use it again.

Chip Gelmini

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2005 10:28 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this leader is the kind you can use for cement or tape has worked well for me going through my ST1200HD Elmo [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I have yet to encounter a problem with any leader except perhaps a kind that is very very thin and fragile

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do quite a lot of filming on super 8 and the 50ft reels always come back from Kodak with about 3ft of white leader on the start, I save this when I edit my films up and use it as leader for my package movies.

It seems to make threading easier, particularly on the Elmos.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 18, 2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys really think outside the donut. Very cool info! [Smile]

Tony, take me to your leader. [Big Grin]

Thanx [Cool]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan

Just spotted this; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4790&item=3868771032&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V Any good?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 20, 2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, how coincidental! This ebay seller is in Athens Georgia which is about 20 miles from my house. About a year ago I drove out to see some projectors he had on ebay. Really strange place. [Eek!] He was in an old run down trashed out buiding. When I entered I had to wade through the odds and ends of worn out junk. Key word here is strange. [Eek!] Everything was over priced garbage. I left empty handed. [Confused]
Looks like a good price on the leader, but I found another deal at Larry Urbanski's website:
web page

Thanks Mike. [Wink] Dan

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 20, 2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The best deal I am aware of is at Pro 8mm. They have white Super 8mm leader at only $5 a roll.

If you want bulk, use the Urbanski link above, as it's only $70 for 1000 feet!

Tip - stay away from the Neumade "Fiesta" leader. It is very brittle, autoload machines don't like it too much and it warps pretty badly over time.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 20, 2005 11:32 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad. I'm strickly auto load at the present. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC