8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Dr Phibes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr Phibes
Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
was 'The Abomnible Dr Phibes' and/or 'Dr Phibes rises again' ever released on Super 8? [Confused]
I think I may have seen mention of a 400ft version?

Thanx,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

|  IP: Logged

Edouard Dubertret
Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Edouard Dubertret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

'The Abomnible Dr Phibes' was released on super 8 in germany:
2x400 UFA (N°257 and N°258)
In germany the title is: 'Das Schreckenskabinett des Dr Phibes'
I don't know if it was released somewhere else...
But actually you can buy it on ebay in germany
The link is:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Das-Schreckenskabinett-des-Dr-Phibes-240-m-SW-Ton_W0QQitemZ160155029067QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edouard

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2007 02:30 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I've only ever seen the trailers to these films in English (I've had them on my lists in the past, always sell quick though), the prints have come from used masters, but are acceptable for trailers, you've just got to find them.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave and Edouard,

be careful with this version on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Das-S chreckenskabinett-des-Dr-Phibes-240-m-SW-Ton_W0QQitemZ160155029067QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a black and white version. Ufa released early many of their titels as colour and black and white versions. I for myself prefer colour versions of colour films.

I have the 2 x 120m (UFA)version in my collection and it is very nice edited but the colours have a pink touch (not red). I think it is hard to find a print in good colour. All prints I have seen are on the pinkish side, but if you have luck you find a print on AGFA filmstock with perfect colours.

Barry I' ve the trailer to the first Dr. Phibes film in my collection too. You are right the masters were used, but the print is good (only some light scratches) the colours on my print are very well.

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

[ September 15, 2007, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Ralf Hoff ]

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 15, 2007 01:17 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ralf, there's a 2x240 version? from which company?
I only have the 2x120 (ie - 2x400) from UFA...
It is indeed on the pinkish side.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2007 06:08 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

sorry it was a mistake from me. I mean the 2x120m version of course from UFA. [Wink]

I was too fast with my fingers.

By the way have you ever seen a print with good colour on AGFA filmstock???

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 15, 2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh.. OK.

I don't recall seeing any good colour print but then again, I'm not the expert.
For instance, I thought all "Empire strikes back" reel 1 had a tendency to fade until I found a beautiful print with deep rich blues and yellows.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc I also have the two parter (2x120m/2x400ft) of Im Todesgriff der roten Maske (Oblong box) with Chris Lee and Vincent Price. Also a UFA release. The colours of this film are very good with fantastic blue, yellow, green. It is a print on AGFA filmstock. So I hope to find a good colour version of Dr. Phibes on this filmstock because the Oblong box was released by UFA in the same time like Dr. Phibes.

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2007 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold a copy of PHIBES a few months back but it was very badly faded,the boxes were very nice though.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies, chaps.
I think both of these films would be a great as a new release by Derann or Classic; I suspect they would appeal to several other members of the forum. They are fantastic camp/horror at it's best and are very frunny at times.
As both are only about 90 minutes they would fit on 5 x 400ft reels or 3 x 600ft reels and would, presumably, be much more affordable to members than, say, Master and Commander.
What do others think? [Razz]

Dave

[ September 16, 2007, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Dave Cragg ]

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Dave,

I agree with you. Dr. Phibes would be a great new release for a full feature film from Derann. The make many films from Hammer with Chris Lee but only one with Vincent Price (Masque of the red death 4x600 ft). So I would by Dr. Phibes as a full feature. [Wink] [Smile]

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

"Dr. Phibes" 2 x120 m from UFA was printed at "Bavaria Studios Lab" in Munich, where the most piccolo films came from. Same leaders.
They used most times Kodak Eastman. All prints I have had were more or less reddish. Never seen one on AGFA-filmstock.

"The Oblong Box" 2x120m was also a UFA-release in 1976 but the prints were made in the same lab (Eclair?), where all the french Film Office prints came from. They used always AGFA-filmstock. Stunning color prints.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2007 02:27 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

UFA also released a two parter of "Die toten Augen des Dr. Dracula (Mario Bava)". Some of this prints are on AGFA Filmstock with fantastic colours and some on EASTMAN with fading colours.

Do you think there is a real chance to get a Dr. Phibes also on AGFA Stock with good colours????

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ralf,

they, "Bavaria Studios Geiselgasteig" used sometimes AGFA, so I am sure there exists prints on AGFA.

Don´t know from which lab Mario Bavas "Operazione paura (1966)" (Kill ... Baby .... Kill) is, but I have had years ago prints on AGFA.... but there exist also prints on Eastman AND 3M !!!!
The 3M prints are terrible.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC