8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Super 8 Features RARE on Ebay! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Super 8 Features RARE on Ebay!
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2008 10:35 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary - It sounds like your Rosemary's Baby print is very similiar to mine. Does the aspect ratio chnage every so often - when it switches from outdoor to indoor scenes and reel to reel? I find myself adjusting the framing control a lot. Who cares. It's still one of the best film's ever made so some minor quality issues really is no big deal.

|  IP: Logged

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine have arrived this afternoon, just cleaned "The Selznick Years" with filmguard (it was well dirty) and am watching it tonight [Smile] , I will report on it tomorrow and the others, as and when watched, Del.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Your issue with adjusting the framing often is common human error, but in the mastering of the said print. No matter what projector you run the print on, it will happen, although some machines might be less flexible than others.

In the years I was a projectionist, I often found the film claw movement on projectors off center. Rather than have a built in film claw typical of super 8 or 16mm, the 35mm has an intermittemnt movement assembly located just above the bottom film gate loop. And rather than be just a film claw, this is a true sprocket wheel that is built in to a cam shaft and star wheel.

To adjust the frame, the frame knob slides this assembly up and down much like you do the claw on your machine.

There is a point where this assembly should always be set: on the center position. Equal to up and down maximum.

When the print goes out of frame, the quick adjust and less distraction is gained when the assembly has been centered.

Common error in the theaters is the operators do NOT reset this to the center between reels or shows. And the very next time there is a frame adjustment, they run out of room. Example: You're in the cinema the picture is out of frame. They try to go up but can't so then they go all the way down. Had this assembly been on center position, they could have gone either direction one time only.

With this said and assuming you understand this, I believe the same problem to be in the optical printers from which the 35mm positive print is run to make the negative, then the negative is struck to your super 8 print.

If the intermittent assembly on the 35mm projectors, positive or negative are adjusted to the center and the film is threaded properly in frame, I think your problem should not be an issue.

I am not experienced with optical printers, but based on in the cinema, just taking a guess.

While writing this and reading through this topic, I saw Joe Taffis comment on his Star Is Born print. It's not the version he wanted. This is my point with this seller, or any seller who doesn't know that much about the item being sold. The buyer can and should ask qwuestions....but what good is that when the seller doesn't answer or answers the question by avoiding the issue. In my opinion, any seller who doesn't have film to test a projector, or who doesn't have a projector to check the print, can not be trusted.

I'm pleased most of you are happy with your purchases. But had I bid and won, I know I'd be disappointed on a few of those titles in that said auction.

Chip

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 06, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of those releases were rare and having them in some form is a great thing. Especially when they are in the wrong section and do not go for much money. [Smile]
Doesn't everyone here have a less than optimum print that you are keeping just because its the only way to see it on Super 8? I have "Once Upon a Time in the West" 3 x 400 cut down. It is a little warm but still ...I love seeing it and it was very cheap!
Glad that for once the majority of the films purchased was from this group! [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 06, 2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I'm almost happy that I didn't win "The Stranger", and I still don't know who won it. I'm thinking that it must be someone that's not a member of this forum.
Would it be fair to say that a stranger won this feature, then? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can gladly report "The Selznick Years" was excellent, I did intend to watch the first 5 minutes just to check it out, but ended up watching all of it. The quality is first class and couldn't honestly say I noticed any fade whatsoever, the colour in places was outstanding and the picture was nice and crisp [Smile] all in all 1 very happy collector.
Had a quick 10 minute look at "Grease" (after Filmguarding it) and again the colour seems to be first class, there may be a very very slight tinge of warming (who know,s because these day's virtually all prints show some signs), all I can say is that if the rest is as good as the first 10 minutes, I'll be delighted [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 10:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BLOODY HELL JAN!!!

I hope that the print of "Stranger" is messed up! It should have went to a forum member ...

... and yes, as a forum member, I feel a little elitist!
How can you feel that you are serious about Super 8 without
being one of us lads?!

It should be said, this whole series of posts and the
subsequent won auctions by many on this forum shows just one
of the great plus's to being on this forum. Though I didn't win on the three I was biddin on, without the alertness of one
certian forum member, none of us would have had the chance to
win these in the first place!

Bravo Fellow Forum Members!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 16, 2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan, Thank you kindly for the 300' cans, but I really need the 50' and 100' cans in metal or plastic - Send as you can, thanks, Shorty

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2008 12:56 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Brian....my Rosemary's Baby did change ...sometimes scene by scene....and not just a printing error or framing error...but it appeared to be a conscious planned thing. Maybe without some masking at various places, microphone booms or something may have shown. Have same thing with my Derann print of Goldfinger...not terribly distracting, but interesting. And I agree with you, Rosemary's baby is a compelling film....even when you know the story and how it all comes out....etc. There's just something about the way it's presented and acted.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
finally watched the "Longest Yard", it wasn't too bad, showed signs of fade but still watchable, got better as the film went on (either that or I just got used to it) "Grease" was excellent throughout with booming sound (so much better than my previous print) so all in all one very happy collector. Just one last point, a BIG BIG THANKYOU to Alan for sharing the info with us all (if you ever come over to the UK, a pint of Guiness is yours) cheer's, Del.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 21, 2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad that the prints you have found are good! (For the most part). And Guinness is great! [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2008 10:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought from Joe Taffis the print of "A Star is Born", that he won from this same bloke that you all won off of.

The print is okay. Not absolute perfect color, but I knew that going into it. The print is slightly over-exposed in some scenes, and so I'm guessing that perhaps this print didn't have perfect color to begin with.

Cracking film, though! I had never actually seen it in fact, and so the ending really did take me off guard and was quite
moving!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2008 04:14 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of " I MARRIED A WITCH" arrived yesterday,its a wonderfull print,great black and white and great density and grey scale,booming sound and no scratchs,im very glad [Smile]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC