8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » PIT AND THE PENDULUM - V. Price

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PIT AND THE PENDULUM - V. Price
Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 12:42 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen,

I have noticed this 1960's AIP Corman film appearing on some lists of late and am on the prowl to find a copy. Did not realize Mountain released it officially or anyone for that matter. Anyone having a Super 8 Color Mag 4 x 400 print of this Version, the Vincent Price version that is, if you are willing to sell it to us we are willing to pay more than you would expect. Thanks.

LA

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 05:48 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lance,
The Mountain 4X400ft release of "The Pit and The Pendulum" is not the Roger Corman version but a German film with Christopher Lee and Lex Barker. The credits on this print have the UK release title "The Blood Demon". I am not aware of any official Super 8 feature releases of the Vincent Price Version. "The Blood Demon" is an excellent film though and if you can get a good colour print it is well worth getting. Sadly I have only got the 4x400ft black and white release.

Paul.

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 07:20 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul for the info on this. The Derann Listing that arrived yesterday claimed to have a print of the V Price version and original Mountain Boxes. I was also aware of the C. Lee version being on S8 but assumed coming from Derann that it was in fact the V Price version. I also saw a listing for the V Price version on Perry's listing not too long ago.

LA

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance - I am baffled by the existence of a PIT AND THE PENDULUM super 8 feature as well. I called on the print on the Derann used list and missed it. I assumed it was THE BLOOD DEMON (I have one with great color and wanted a backup since it's one of my favorite films). I think I actually like it better than the Price film since the atmosphere is so gorgeous it puts any Corman production to shame. The Derann listing said it was a Mountain release that also starred Lex Barker... which means it would have been BLOOD DEMON but Gary assured me it was the Vincent Price version... but I still can't really believe it since I have most of the Mountain Films catalogues and it was never listed. Also, I don't believe Mountain had any deal with AIP... hmmmm... I'm guessing if it does exist it's some kind of bootleg or European import... If anyone has any more info please post! It is strange it's been on two lists recently when I have never seen one in all my years collecting.

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian for the info. I am right with you as our collection is fairly vast and I have never seen the AIP version advertised, even on the Italian Ebay listings! I also sent Gary an email asking him about it and have not received a reply. Considering the C Lee version has come up every now and then, I am surprised to see it snapped up so quick off the Derann listing. It might be the same print that was on Perry's listing not too long ago.

LA

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it has been mentioned that Ken released the Price version but only as a 200'. Although I have a print I can't really recommend it as I can't recall it making much sense, and it's likely to be faded now.

Incidentally, I'll be selling a colour copy of the 4 x 400' 'Blood Demon', but it's unfortunately a worn ex-library print. It will be cheap, though!

I have a beautiful 16mm master print, with some captions, of a one reel silent release of extracts from 'Blood Demon', entitled 'Nightmare Castle'. I'm not certain if 8mm prints were ever produced as I've never seen one offered. It looks great although Lee doesn't appear.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 10:09 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much,Adrian?

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian - I have seen the old Mountain silent 8mm digest around titled, Nightmare Castle... which I always assumed was the Barbara Steele Italian film by that name. Now I know... Wow... Lee doesn't even appear... interesting. I must also recommend for all you BLOOD DEMON fans like myself picking up the German 400' digests (there are two different cuts). They include more of the unforgettable surreal scenes of the arms/body parts sticking out from the trees that Mountain unforgivably cut from their 4 reel version. It can be spliced into the Mountain feature. I really don't understand those Mountain editors. How they could cut that scene and Bela Lugosi smelling the flowers from Plan 9 is really beyond me... but that's another matter.

Adrian, was it you I bought the REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN Derann feature from a couple years back. I just want you to know it's now one of my favorite films in my collection. I am watching it frequently and keeping it very clean, so it really went to a very appreciative home...

John - Yes, the Ken 200' Pit and the Pendulum is a bit lame but it's worth having if you can find a good color print. There are still some around. And I would highly recommend you picking up Adrian's Blood Demon feature. Even if it's been well used, it's still an amazing film with an amazing cast.

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 08:55 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its official. Gary at Derann confirmed this item on the Derann List was in fact the Chris Lee version.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC