8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking For, Once Upon Time in the West (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking For, Once Upon Time in the West
Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2009 02:39 AM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Marketing full version is indeed flat & red.. But I'm still glad I have it [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
send me a mail to tell he who he/she is [Roll Eyes] !

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He guys,

For the one who searching the 3x400 featurette of "OUATITW", it's on the last Derann list.

Regards,

JC.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 07:29 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any news, Oemer?

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2009 11:24 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,
you got a email
regards
Oemer

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 02:04 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,
my scope-copy of "OUTITW" was made from the 16mm-Negative and it is an very good print. Stunning colours and good sharpness. So not an "Umkehrkopie" (what is the english term for that ???)
There were only 20 pieces released with German Mono Sound. It came on 10x400 ft.

But it is NOT available [Big Grin]

Best wishes,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 04:28 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For whom it may concern...
i still have all the brand new boxes of the full feature from marketing film,if someone is interested i will give it away for free,the one who interested i them just have to pay the shipping [Smile] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 04:52 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umkehrkopie is a reversal print made direct from a 35mm positv print, this is not struck from a negativ. Reversal prints are often soft in focus.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
often soft in focus? Really? (I don't say that not believing you). You would think that the focus would be even better from a 35MM than a 16MM. Is it because a super 8 reduction is too much of a "squeeze" down in one step? Just curious.

I just got to thinking ... it just shows how much people around the world just love this small film gauge! You don't see this kind of continued production of prints on 16MM!

(at least, not that I've heard of.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 10:16 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer,
I know, what an Umkehrkopie is, but I don't know what the english term is, f.e. reversal-copy or something...
My copy of OUTITW is definitifely an print from the 16mm-Negative.

Or in German:
Oemer, ich weiß nicht, was Umkehrkopie auf Englisch heißt. Meine Kopie ist definitiv vom 16mm-Negativ gefertigt.

Best wishes,
Michael

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 10:32 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

how many boxes are they? They should be ten, at least. Are they built for 400 or 600feet reels? Could you please let me know? I would be really interested. I see your mail is not available on the Forum so PM me, in case, at:

gloncri (at) hotmail (dot) it

Michael, are you referring to the Marketing print or to the CHC one?

A little mystery to solve, now.
The Marketing edition (10 reels) should be printed on polyester. The CHC one should be on acetate. Reels, in this second case, should be more then 10.
BUT if the Italian edition on acetate is mounted on 12*400feet reels, do this means that CHC edition (if Michael is referring to it) misses some sequences?
Consider also that the Italian edition IS NOT COMPLETE (and I'm talking about a 12*400 movie!): the very long 'silent' opening (main titles) has totally disappeared and there are lots of cuts here and there all throughout the feature.

To all members of the Forum: is there any of you, owning the CHC print, in a position to post some shots, to have an idea about quality, please? And I'd be also pleased to have some additional info about its length (and integrity).
I'm a little confused, now. Thanks a lot.

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 05:12 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, a reversal print was made different way.
A reduction print, a print struck from a 16mm negative that was made from 35mm positiv is better than from a 16mm negative that was made from a 16mm positiv (dupe).
And of course a 16mm original print (printdown) struck from the 35mm negative has the best quality.
Super 8 Reversal prints looks like old 16mm Kodachrome prints, they have great color but soft focus.
This was often used in the 70´s to make fast (overnight) one or two copy´s before the 35mm print was played next day in the theater again.
They exist many Super 8 reversal prints of rare titles. Some are in good quality and much better than other prints from the 70´s and early 80´s but far away from new Derann releases.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2009 07:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that is where my "Close Encounters" scope feature came from, that kind of printing, as Derann released the 1980 "special edition" and that, only 15 or so prints. This 1977 scope feature that I have is the only one of it's variety that I have ever run across.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 01:34 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
my print is from the German Lab. I think CHC orders it there, as they do it with Titanic, because they have the master. I made a mistake: I had 12 reels. It is mounted on 3x 1200'' and 1x 800 ft. I will try to make some photos and post it here...if I can do it ;-)

Osi,
you can indentify an reversal copy on the stock. It is totally black. As Oemer said, the focus is softer than the original. Mostly the colour, too. If someone offers an reversal print, you should ask for the quality. Often the copy-labs don't clean the film before copying. So the dirt, lines and sometimes the colour fade from the master is copied to the S8-print.

Best wishes,
Michael

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 01:52 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, Michael.
In case just send me a mail with some attached files at

gloncri (at) hotmail (dot) it

If you cannot, I will be post the shots myself.
Take care and let me know.
CIAO

--------------------

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2018 08:52 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can buy the Marketing 3x 400" version, on the reddish side.
Is it worth buying?
Is it possible to get this version with good color?
Is the way of how they cut this film to 3x 400" nicly dony, or did they kill the film this way?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 23, 2018 11:40 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthieu,

If you look at the Index of Reviews in the 8mm Print Reviews section, you'll find a link to a review of this title.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 23, 2018 12:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000683

A link for the review i did earlier in the year.
Marketing were never brilliant at there edits, (a few they did very well such as war of the worlds), but this title is OK. We like it very much but our opinion is that the editing is a little abrupt in places. It's fine if you know the feature film well, i guess thats the same with any cut down, we are going to keep an eye on ours to ensure it doesn't start fading too red too soon. Hope this helps [Wink]

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2018 03:04 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Just read it.
I'm not sure.
He ask €50 for it.
The film is red and he don't give much more info other than that it is used.
Think I pass on this one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 23, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think your wise. If its red its not worth anything in my opinion.

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2018 01:02 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthieu,
the 3x400‘ Edition pops up very often at eBay.de.
Don’t buy it at Christmas: usually You can get it cheaper than 50 Euros.
And there are many prints around which are not faded.
The content starts late, when Jill McBain arrives at the farm.
But from this point the cutdown works very well.
Tom,
there are a lot of very good marketing-Film cutdowns worth collecting: STAR TREK, THE LAST COUNTDOWN, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, TO CATCH A THIEF, THE HUNTER, AIRPLANE, CRACK IN THE WORLD...

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2018 07:38 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I checked this here first, where the real film knowledge lies.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC