8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Tom Murin's Sale/Trade/Want List

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Murin's Sale/Trade/Want List
Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 09:27 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WANT LIST:

All Dogs Go To Heaven: Complete Feature

Fox & The Hound (Disney): Complete feature and digests.

Robin Hood (Disney): Complete Feature and Robin Hood & Little John 200' extract.

The Sword In The Stone (Disney): Complete feature.

The Rescuers (Disney): Complete Feature.

Superman The Movie: 3x400' and 1x400'

Star Trek The Motion Picture: 3x400'

The World Is Not Enough: Complete Feature

Moonraker: Complete Feature/Magnetic Sound

The Life And Time Of Grizzly Adams: Complete Feature

The Raven (1963): Complete Feature

Masque Of The Red Death: Complete Feature

Horror Of Dracula: Complete Feature

Mickey Mouse In Runaway Brain

Mickey's Christmas Carol

Prince And The Pauper (Mickey Mouse)

Tom & Jerry: Johann Mouse

Tom & Jerry: Concerto Cat

Bugs Bunny: Racketeer Rabbit

Pepe Le Pew: Any!

Road Runner: Any!

The Brave Little Bat

Horror Express: Complete Feature

Fantasia: Any Segments!

Fantasia 2000: Any Segments!

Hawk The Slayer: Complete Feature

Star Wars: Both 400' digests

Empire Strikes Back: Part 2

[ November 19, 2009, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Murin, Jr. ]

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas ...

If i may suggest, search out the Marketing version of the STAR WARS digests. The Marketing version, though in german, (you can always re-record it), has a much better flow to it as well as a much more saturated color. It really looks great, and many of those prints were done on low fade stock, while the american version of the digest has a bad tendecy to fade horribly, (part 1 much more than part 2).

But you will need the flat version of the maerican part 2, as it has that six minute sequence of the last battle, while the Marketing digest, though 1X400ft and 1X200ft (making a nice full 600ft reel), never had the last battle to it.

Honestly, the Marketing version of the digest is much better. Happy hunting.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 11:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, Osi! I'll probably settle for the American versions. For several reasons, the primary one is that they will be easier to find.

Another is that I don't have the means to do any re-recording though I could always piece together something from the DVD, copy to a CD and synch it up to the film.

I'll keep a look out however!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 06:47 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
Horror Express and Moonraker are on Ebay at the moment.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 06:59 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, how are you?

ROBIN HOOD (Disney) as a complete feature has never been officially released on 8 mm. Some unuthorized editions printed on Kodak SP have been issued here in Italy during the 70's-80's. Unfortunately they are not excellent copies and most of them have a red cast to the color. You should anyway re-record them in English.
Finding 'Robin Hood & Little John' 200' extract will be much easier. I have a couple of copies I don't need. If you want one, I can send it for free. Good color, but Italian sound. Do you have all facilities to re-record it in English, in case? Let me know. Only shipping cost to USA required, if you are interested.

THE SWORD IN THE STONE, MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL, THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER, FANTASIA 2000 (Disney) are all available at Derann. You can also find them used, sometimes. Hope someone will help you.

FANTASIA has never been officially released. Two existing Italian editions, but I would avoid them (although very rare): they are printed on VERY FADE Eastman. You can anyway find almost all segments from the feature (except THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE and TOCCATA AND FUGUE IN D MINOR) at Derann.
The SORCERER'S APPRENTICE has anyway been released by Walt Disney Home Movies. It is frequently listed on Derann used films sheet and actually available at Classic Home Cinema and Paul Foster Films and Collectables. Extra segments from this masterpiece are at the moment available at CHC. Take a look.

THE RESCUERS as an unauthorized complete feature exist in Italy. Two editions (one letterboxed and the second in 4:3), printed on Eastman and, really in a very limited number of copies, on LPP.
Copies on Eastman (and letterboxed) are extremely rare; good color, but little brownish.
Excellent color if you are lucky to find the Italian 4:3 edition on Agfa LPP (although the source used for both versions was the same).
It seems German Labs have a negative of this Disney's classic and it is possible to order it. But I have personally never seen any shots taken from this 'phantom' print and don't know anything about quality. So I cannot say. Oemer (also a member here) could probably help you with this last title I have written about by givin' you some additional info. Try to contact him.

Good luck! [Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 08:07 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say, that the german print of "The Rescuers" is letterboxed (except the title-sequence) and have a good colour and sharpness. But I don't know, if you can order it at the moment or where.
Will screen it in the next time and take some shots to the "What Films..."-thread. There you can see the quality.

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 08:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more advice on collecting the STAR WARS american 400ft versions ...

Especially important on part 1 of the 2X400ft version. You want to aim for the re-release of this digest. The first version was in a 400ft cardboard box, (that's clue one) and these are on Eastman film stock and tend to be a terribly pinky mess. However, the re-release of it was in a plastic clamshell case.

You will identify this by the copyright and release info on the right hand side of the box, going up to down on that side. It's the same illustration as the cardboard box edition, but the cardboard box edition does not have the extra info on the side.

The reason for desiring this second edition, is that the second release of it was printed on Kodak SP filmstock, and while it has a tendecy to fade as well, it tends to hold up better with decent color. I have to this day, a number of Kodak SP prints, (my Battlestar Galactica digest, 1X600ft, for instance) and these have completely unfaded color. It can fade and even when it does, it starts with a more brownish color, which is far better than a pinked out mess.

The box for part 2 of this 2X400ft digest are all clamshells, and have that nice illustration from the original posters. This digest can frade as well, but the colors hold up much better. It contains the cantina scene, destruction of the Alderann as well as a nicely edited last battle sequence.

You will want to hunt down the original 200ft release of the STAR WARS digest, as it has about two minutes or so, that are not in the 2X400ft, if you want to be a completist.

By the way, the part 2 digest (of the 2X400ft) was also released in scope so, if you have a scope lense, you'll definitely want to pick it up. It is much rarer and doesn't come up on ebay or sellers list very often, but it is worth the getting. The only digest of the american version that I have bothered with is that scope digest and mine has mint condition color and a lovely image.

Happy hunting!

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 08:28 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas, I see you are a 007 fan!

You may be interested to know that I have a copy of the Classic Home Cinema release of TOMORROW NEVER DIES. It is the Full Length Feature Film, Colour, CinemaScope, supplied on 1x2400 spool. I have run the print in sync with a DVD on a few occasions as I purchased it as a mute print (it was cheaper!) so you can do the same or have stripe applied and re-record it. Let me know if you want it.

Email to- rickyd2001 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Best Rick

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas ...

An update. Our own Dan lail is currently selling the Star Wars titles that I have been speaking of, as well as that rare scope edition, and at a good price. HYis auctions are honest and are a sure thing.

Go to the topic from about a week ago, started by Dan lail, and he has a link to his auctions.

Good luck.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 01:14 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, I'd be interested in your Runaway Brain 35 print. Please email me at
jmtoussaint (at) amusement-id (dot) com
and I'll email back.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean, you have mail. [Smile]

Everyone else, thank you very much for all the help and info! I'll respond in more detail a little later on.

--------------------

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance Alspaugh provides professional film dubbing services.

Last time he did work for me his prices were very reasonable, and his results were nothing short of remarkable.

He is a member of these forums so its easy to contact him.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 11:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Where do I start? First, my funds for Super 8 prints is running low and I have a couple of bids on ebay so I really need to watch my money right now.

Osi, you are quickly becoming my favorite member of this forum! Your knowledge of Super 8 prints is incredible! I'll keep your info on the Star Wars prints in mind.

As for Dan Lail, I just bought Scars Of Dracula from him on ebay and have bids on two more titles. I decided not to bid on the Star Wars titles as they seem to appear frequently on ebay, even the rare ones you mentioned. The two I bid on are much more rare.

Roy, thank you for the info about Lance Alspaugh. I'm sure I'll need his services eventually so I will keep him in mind.

Michael, looking forward to the screenshots of The Rescuers!

Gian, great info! I'm much more after Robin Hood as it's my favorite Disney animated film. Hopefully Derann might add this to their titles someday. I might take you up on Robin Hood & Little John. I'll let you know.

As for Fantsia and Fantasia 2000, I should've mentioned that I really just want segments from each not the entire films. Thanks for the links.

As for Sword In The Stone, Mickey's Christmas Carol and Prince & The Pauper I can't afford Derann's prices right now so hopefully someone will make me an off I can't refuse [Smile] .

As for some others, Moonraker is an optical print and I need magnetic, Horror Express is going a bit high for my tastes.

Thank You everyone!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly sure that Moonraker was never released as a magnetic sound title, digest or feature. However, I can verify that the original theatrical trailer for Moonraker is on Super 8, AND in scope, as I used to have that particular trailer.

True, the STAR WARS super 8 prints do come up quite often, but it is getting harder and harder to find very good color prints of them. Be sure to ask how the print was stored, as even quick fade Eastman will still hold up well if it was stored, lets say, in a basement, instead of an attic.

The two Empire Strikes Back digests (parts 1 and 2) are a good case of that. Part 2 has tended to age rather well, being on a particularly good kodak SP stock, (some SP stock did vary from piss poor to very good, as I have found).

Part 1, however, has tended to fade rather quickly. Many prints that I have found are on eastman and pinked out, even bought brand new, (that is, still sealed and unopen). There are, once again, good Kodak SP prints of this part one, and those are holding up much better, important considering that nearly all of space battle and asteriod field scenes are in part 1.

Be very careful with the ebay auctions for these. not long ago, about a year, a man was selling his ESB part 1 and he put up screenshots and his film was terribly pinked out. For about a month or two, other ebay auctioneers simply cut and pasted that other fellows pinked out images to thier auctions. The bloody fools could have had perfect color prints, but the idiots brought down the value of thier merchendise but taking another ebayers pinky screenshots!

I'll just put in another vote for the German Marketing digest version, as, once you see the rich saturated colors of that Marketing version, you'll never go back to the american version.
That is, you 'll never go back satisfied.

On this very forum, in the review section, there is an excellent review of a a complete editing together of both the 2x400 and 1x200ft american and 1X400 and 1x200 of the German, as well as how he had his re-recorded in english, and I believe, in stereo.
I could possibly be wrong, but he may still have his re-recording soundtrack and you could get a really good re-record if you should desire the German marketing version.

as always ... happy hunting!

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, thanks for the warning about ebay. I generally don't trust screen shots on auctions anyway.

--------------------

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 01:04 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, what you said about Moonraker is partially true. Non of the well known manufacturer released it. But I have a (german) reversal copy of Moonraker with magnetic sound and in scope. It's really rare, but not an unique specimen.
The quality of this print is only average. It's very blueish and the sharpness is not good, too.
A few weeks ago I saw Moonraker on Ebay Italy as an italian full feature in flat with magnetic sound, too.

Greetings,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 08:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be darned Micheal. I stand corrected.

Moonraker must have been a more popular film than I thought. I thought it went from improbable to downright silly. Bond was never truly realistic, but that one went way overboard. Maybe that is why I like the earliest Bonds the best. A real spy doing what appears to be possible things.

Tom, I'll have to look through my collection, but I believe that I have a second copy of "Empire Strikes Back" part 1, and it has good color, which would give you a start on your search, and would sure make it easier for you on that particular title. The email function on this forum has always screwed me up, so shoot my an e-mail at my address :

toac2001 at hotmail dot com.

OSI

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Updated with some new wants and to clarify what I want from the Fantasia movies.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2009 09:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, if you really want a treat, go on the post "What are you watching" on the main 8mm forum ... go back a few pages, and you will have actual screenshots from Gian in Italy, of his completely uncensored Fantasia print. It must have been a very early print, as Disney got rid of that footage early on.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 11:31 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New prints of Fantasia 2000 and most of 1940 Fantasia can still be ordered. I'm learning that used prints are hard to come by! [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 11:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
If you still have it, I'd like to have your 'Filming the Fashions', please, which I presume is 200ft? I'm in the UK. I could either send you the $10 + postage by PayPal, or we might be able to do a deal involving 'Clash of the Titans' or 'Horror of Dracula' as I have spare prints of both as a result of a collection I bought from someone a while back. If you would be interested in offering your film in part exchange for either of these, please contact me and I'll tell you more. I think my 'Clash' has faded colour, but it might be difficult to find one that isn't faded now.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I still have Filming The Fashions which is indeed 200'. I would be glad to trade it for either Clash or Dracula.

For some reason, your e-mail is being blocked so please give me your e-mail address and we'll talk!

Tom

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
Thanks for your response - I found your email was being blocked too!

My email is: adrianw_8-16 at tiscali dot co dot uk

Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, you have mail! [Smile]

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2009 01:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Updated list. Both films I had up for sale are now sold. I removed Buck Rogers, Clash Of The Titans, and part 1 of Empire as I found prints of all and added another feature to the list.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC