8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » CORONATION SCOT 8mm FILM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CORONATION SCOT 8mm FILM
Ian Beattie
Junior

- posted December 29, 2009 05:18 AM      Profile for Ian Beattie   Email Ian Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the person who recently bought item 1240 "Coronation Scot" from Ian's list of films on Perrys Movies December film list, please get in touch, as I would love to know the content, and more details of this film.

Happy New Year

Ian

--------------------
ibt

|  IP: Logged

Lee Whelann
Junior

- posted December 29, 2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Lee Whelann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i didnt buy this from Ian but I do have a copy for sale if your interested.
Regards,
Lee

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 29, 2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Walton print of this one.

It begins in 1936 showing the Coronation of King George VI processing through the streets of London, and describes how the LMS decided to honor the occasion by launching a class of Locomotives named for it.

It then goes on to describe the design, construction and speed trials of the first Coronation locomotive.

There is a a lot of aerial footage of the train at speed and vintage aircraft drift in front of the camera as it's being filmed. The film is heavily narrated, to the point where every so often you wish he'd just be quiet for a while.

A special guest appearance is made by the (then) 100 year old locomotive Lion, which became famous as the Titfield Thunderbolt years later.

The film is black and white with a slightly muffled sound track, as is fitting for a film made 70+ years ago.

-

[ December 29, 2009, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Ian Beattie
Junior

- posted December 30, 2009 12:13 PM      Profile for Ian Beattie   Email Ian Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Steve Klare

Your email will not allow me access. Thank you for your reply to my Coronation Scot film query but I am looking for the colour version, not B&W.

Best wishes
Ian

--------------------
ibt

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 30, 2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,

Is there a color version of this film?

I guess it's within the realm of possibility, but based on the production date I'd be a little surprised.

The content would be the same in any case.

--------------------

Ian Beattie
Junior

- posted December 31, 2009 06:39 AM      Profile for Ian Beattie   Email Ian Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

I do not know any details of the color Coronation Scot film-(probably NOT a color version of the B&W film), but Perry's movies had a COLOR film for sale which is now sold and I am trying to find out the content!

Best wishes for 2010

Ian

--------------------
ibt

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 31, 2009 10:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right, it was fairly common for Walton to issue B&W versions of color films, but I would be surprised if this one originally was color, being that it was produced in 1936 and 1937. I guess it's less surprising than a color film from 1926, but it is unusual.

Two different Super-8 films with the same title? Maybe...

A B&W film mistakenly called "colour"? That works too!

I'll investigate.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2009 12:02 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann still sell this film New, and it is listed in their last catalogue as a COLOUR film 200ft reel.

Check with Derann though that this film is still available and hasnt been deleated.

Graham S

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 01, 2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked: from what I can tell this was released by Walton as Black & White only.

I think we're talking about a whole seperate film here!

BTW: Most of the footage in this You-Tube is in the Walton film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN8MiGx0uiI

--------------------

Ian Beattie
Junior

- posted January 04, 2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Ian Beattie   Email Ian Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
Many thanks for info. Have been in touch with Derann but unfortunately they no longer have this film. I shall have to keep hunting!

Thanks again

Ian

--------------------
ibt

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC