8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » S8Snd Films For Sale #1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: S8Snd Films For Sale #1
David Ullom
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 03:37 AM      Profile for David Ullom   Email David Ullom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Folks.

I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to finding some new friends here.

I began collecting regular 8 films in 1963 when my Dad and Mom bought me the Ken Films 50' version of "Mighty Mouse and the Magician" for $1.98 from the camera department at Sears. I received my first 200' film for my 8th birthday--"Rodan, the Flying Monster" (plus preview attractions). I converted to super 8 sometime in 1972 because regular 8 titles were becoming harder to find.

I received my first feature for Christmas 1973--"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari." Our local PBS station had shown it that fall and I really liked it. My new Niles print, however, was somewhat overexposed; nevertheless, I had a full-length feature film!

I hadn't really planned to make the transition to sound until I read the used film list in the December/January Niles Film circular. There it was: "Psycho" in regular 8 sound on 6-400' reels for $98.00! I put it on layaway and sold all of my silent films (including twelve Americom titles I wish I'd kept) to buy my first sound feature.

Since a sound feature requires a sound projector, I used my lawn mowing money with help from Dad and Mom and bought a Eumig S810D. The man in the camera department gave(!) me "The Prince and the Dragon" excerpt from "Sleeping Beauty." What glorious color and crystal clear sound! I used that title as a program opener for years.

Niles, however, seemed to be in no great hurry (January to May) to get "Psycho" to me. Numerous letters of inquiry as to a delivery date received the same answer: "It's on backorder." To this day I don't see how a used print could be on "backorder." But I was so happy when it finally arrived until I saw that my "Derann" print of "Psycho" had the same overexposure problem that my Niles print of "Caligari" had. Wonder how that happened!

Over the years I've gathered a pretty good collection, and enjoyed putting on shows for school groups, church groups, and neighborhood gatherings in our back yard on summer evenings.

But ever since a nearly catastrophic medical emergency requiring four and a half months of hospitalization three years ago, I haven't put on one show, so I believe it's time to sell them.

I have many features, shorts, cartoons, and trailers to make available at what I hope you'll find to be reasonable prices.

Tonight I reviewed four of the following five films to assess and give an honest report of their condition.

1. "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" - Max Fleischer color sound cartoon from 1948 on 200' reel - I don't know about the film stock, but the color is beautiful and the sound is clear - there is no box - RESERVED

2. "Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby" 200' color sound excerpt from Disney's "Song of the South" - former library print in original box with library labels and markings - good color but not strong color - good sound - $15.00

3. "Hide and Shriek" - Blackhawk release of one-reel Little Rascals comedy on a 400' reel - nice print but needs to be mounted on another 400' reel as this one is slightly warped - original Blackhawk box with top and bottom flaps - not my favorite Blackhawk box as they didn't hold up very well - RESERVED

4. "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" - Ken Films (F26) - 400' color sound - color has warmed but still looks good, especially the "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" number, which, I believe, is complete - Nice original box with Ken Fims insert - RESERVED

5."Mister and Mistletoe" - Popeye cartoon from 1955 - color sound on 200' reel - spanking brand new Derann print - never been viewed - in original shrinkwrap - $25.00

If you see anything that interests you, send me an e-mail message. Thanks for reading.

I'll be placing more titles on tomorrow.

Dave Ullom

[ March 04, 2011, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: David Ullom ]

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 30, 2010 04:52 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave

Welcome to the Forum! I enjoyed your story about becomming a collector. I am sorry to hear about your health problems. It must be hard to part with your collection. Especially the way you started it and kept it up with your "lawn mower money". There aren't many hobbies that you can enjoy that started from your childhood.

You will meet a lot of nice people in this forum as I have since I joined. Let me compliment you on the way you listed your films. Very descriptive and with prices. Very professional and informative. Good luck with your sales. Maybe you should keep just a small collection?

Happy New Year!

Pat DAlessio

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 06:35 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

Did you ever get any features from The Griggs Moviedrome? I would be very interested.
My email is psychedelicoyster@yahoo.com

Thanks, Brad

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 07:46 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David... I, too, ordered a Psycho print (Standard 8 sound) from Niles back in the early 70's, but it was off the "used list"....My print wasn't bad picture wise, but the sound was a couple of seconds out of sync. Luckily I had a Eumig mark S projector that was not totally automatic threading...and you could adjust the bottom loop to any length ..and so all I had to do was make it about twice the usual size and all was well. I found out later that the Psycho prints Niles was selling were DUPEs of the Derann print....and that's why they looked a bit washed out. They did that a lot...with 16mm , too...selling prints like A Night at the Opera on the "used" list, even though they were actually new dupes. They sold them as used to keep the FBI dupe police off their tails. I still have that Psycho print and the Night at the Opera print. Can't run the Psycho print any more since my old Mark S long since bit the dust and all it's replacements have auto thread and i can't adjust the bottom loop.
I'm sorry your health forces you to sell your collection...but hopefully the films will bring as much happiness to their new owners as they did to you.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 08:26 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi dave, i tried to email you for your list but it is being blocked.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 30, 2010 09:28 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Welcome to the Forum! Thank you for the great story of how you got into collecting. Best of luck with your sale.

Jim,

Dave's e-mail link is active.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Philippe Cuypers
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Philippe Cuypers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAVE
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

GREAT STORY,
THOSE WHERE THE DAYS,
NILES FILM COMPANY, BLACKHAWK GREAT CATALOG , I USE TO GET THEM , ALWAYS IN THE MAIL, GREAT FILM ASLO,
ALSO . THE BACK OF THE ORIGINAL FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND (J FOREST AKERMAN ) THEY WHERE SOME ADD OF SUPER 8 AND 8MM HORROR FILM, CASTLE FILMS , COLUMBIA , KEN ETC, THOSE WHERE GREAT DAYS,

I USE TO WORK FOR (SELECT FILM LIBRARY) UPSTAIRS OF THE WILLOUGBY AT 31 STREET, GREAT STORE , I REMEMBER THESE AMERICOM 8MM AND SUPER 8 WITH THE VINYL RECORD, I HAD A GREAT SALESMAN
(BILL TAYLOR ) ALWAYS KNEW WHEN THOSE NEW RELEASE CAME IN. A GREAT CAMERA STORE WILLOUGBY & PEERLESS STORE TOO, AROUND 53 RD STREET MANHATTAN NEW YORK CITY, YES THOSE WHERE THE GREAT FILM DAYS,

WELL WELCOME ABOARD , YOU WILL FIND ALL GREAT AND NICE AND KNOWLEDGE PEOPLE IN THIS GREAT FORUM .
HOPE YOUR HEALTH IS BETTER FOR THE NEW YEAR!2011 [Eek!]

ALL THE BEST

PHILL [Wink]

--------------------
Philippe Cuypers

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug this is the message i get when i try to email him
"This user has chosen to keep his or her email address private. You may mail this member using the message area below. Please note that this will allow this user to see your email address.
when i email him i get this message
"Sorry, either the user or the board administrator is blocking access to this email address".

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC