8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Standard 8 or Super 8 Two Tars -3 reeels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Standard 8 or Super 8 Two Tars -3 reeels
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2011 12:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for Two Tars, and mounted on 3X200 foot reels.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't 2x 200 foot reels enough?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2011 02:46 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I basically have all of the Laurel and Hardy films.

I have the sound version, and it's mounted on a 400' reel in an original box.

Now I'm looking for this variety on 3 x 200" reels.
There was on item on ebay last week, and I forgot to bid on it.

It's the novelty, and what collecting is to me.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wouldnt this be standard 8mm?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most definitely.

The one for sale last week, was standard 8 and in a different type of
Blackhawk Laurel and Hardy Box.
The faces were sketches of the boys. Stan is smiling, and Ollie seems to be
looking up and rolling his eyes.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that box. Wish I could help you though. Good luck in your search.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2011 10:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I've never seen a vintage Blackhawk catalog or anything else that would settle the issue, but it seems to me that 3x200 is a mistake. "The Music Box" - yes, because the full theatrical version was 30 minutes. But even IMDB's listing for Two Tars doesn't support a three-reeler (21 min.) for Two Tars. And the two prints I'm familiar with, both Blackhawks, seemed quite complete at 21 minutes. So I'd be looking for 2x200 unless you know something we don't (pray tell).

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2011 11:29 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Thanks for the IMBD link.

From the auction, It's the only two reeler that I know, that's a 3 reeler.

I hope that this link opens, of the auction that closed.
Notice the picture. Let me know if it does not display with the picture?

Two Tars Auction

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 01, 2011 05:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notice that 2 of the reels are less than full, this all adds up to about twenty-odd minutes, constituting a 2-reeler - Nothing unusual - If I see another, will so notify, Fraternally Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My standard 8mm print fits snugly onto one reel as well, a full reel to be sure, but it fits.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2011 12:31 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The film is a two reeler.

I have a friend that has Two Tars in 16mm and strangely enough as a two reeler, the film has printed in sections that are labeled:

End of Reel, One,
End of Reel Two, and
End of Reel Three.

We tried to figure this out?

Shorty, William K. Everson (author, The Films of Laurel and Hardy) once told
Jack - Grand Sheik from the N.Y. Sons of the Desert Tent: it's the only two reeler that's labeled as a three reeler.

I relayed the auction link to Jack, and he said: at the time, I never understood what Bill meant?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 01, 2011 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He told it to him, and he said it to you and I told it to what...we're all nuts!

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2011 04:26 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered that many years ago,I bought a two reel comedy,that came in a box with 3x 200 reels,I vaguely remember it must have been a silent Little Rascals Blackhawk. It turned out that it included one part one and two part two reels!I sold the second part two to a friend and soon forgot about it,until now. So,this may be a similar case.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2011 09:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis,

It just proves, that anything can happen.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, thanks for the link! Yep, as Joe said, the reels aren't full -- must be about 7 minutes apiece. Curious thing, perhaps the original studio cut was longer (hence 3 reels) but the release was trimmed? Who knows!

The Super 8 prints were both single 400' reels very full.

However, I've seen other Blackhawk std-8 prints follow the reel "layout" of the original 35mm theatrical prints, so looks like this one does too.

Can you imagine those 1920s projectionists making a changeover every 7-10 minutes? They certainly earned their keep.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2011 04:33 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a thought:

The 35mm industry standard, denotes a short film by footage. So is it possible that a very full 400' reel may qualify Two Tars to edge by and become a three reeler?

As a side note, Dick Bann the author of Laurel and Hardy (1975,) is also a film archivist. He recently stated that it was very painful to junk one of the two reels from the original camera negatives of the film From Soup to nuts, because it was decomposed beyond recognition.

UCLA, is now racing against time to archive the Laurel and Hardy film Library.

Laurel and Hardy Restoration at the UCLA Film Archive

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2011 06:52 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theory about Blackhawk's 3 reel version of TWO TARS is that since it is probably the longest L&H silent(21 - 22 minutes at 24fps), the addition of the Blackhawk prologue pushed it over the edge of what could comfortably fit on 2 200 foot reels, of even 1 400 foot reel. (I believe I've seen the double 400 foot box of this on eBay a few times as well.) I've had several copies of this in 8mm, Super 8, and 16mm, but all were the restored version with original titles and no prologue. Each of these were mounted on a single reel. I've never gotten around to buying BH's original version of this, with all BH titles, both main and inter. I believe I asked about this version several years ago on this very forum, but no one had an answer.

TWO TARS was originally a 3 reeler, according to Everson, but was trimmed down before release. TMK, this extra footage is completely lost.

On a side note, BABES IN TOYLAND is listed as a 9 reeler by Everson, but it clocks in at 79 minutes. At the end of my copy, there is a Hal Roach card that says "end of reel 9". So I guess a reel doesn't necessarily have to be 10 minutes. So the average time of a BABES reel is just under 9 minutes.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 05, 2011 05:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I clocked TARS at 425', that's close

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to have a couple of timings from Blackhawk L&H prints from speed-locked projection in my notes. "Our Wife" runs 20:48 (plus leaders, of course), "Them Thar Hills" 20:19. Now I'm curious to see if any original tail markings are left, or only the Blackhawk "1-end-1-end-1-end..." or whatever it is. Would it have been the end of reel 2? Or 3? I will have to look at a later time.

Michael, thank you for the fabulous link.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2011 06:59 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most L&H (and other Hal Roach) sound BH prints end with an original End of reel 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever for a few frames. Some even have a similar card in the leader. I ALWAYS leave the projection lamp on until I see that, but as soon as I see a BH "end" I turn it off.

With the 3 reelers, which BH put on 2 reels, you usually get to see and "end of reel 1" and "end of reel 3".

TOWED IN A HOLE always came on 2 reels -- I long ago mounted it on one and it fit comfortably without a hint of running over. When I first got it I wrote to BH asking why but they never replied.

I have an ANGORA LOVE on 2 200 foot reels, and each has an "end of" with the same background as the inter-titles -- a nice touch. BH usually used their own title for this (on silents) but not in that case.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what we're talking about:

-

Aren't those art-deco-style letters beautiful? And looks nothing like the occasional titles within the print.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony's input is true. The print that my friend has of Two Tars, includes
frames indicating - "Beginning of reel three." He too found it rare and has decided not to splice it out of the film.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Larry Webb
Junior

- posted October 30, 2019 01:19 PM      Profile for Larry Webb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is an ancient thread but I have the "Blackhawk" 8 mm 3 reel "two tars". I found it when I was cleaning out my mom's house. It is a movie I had when I was a kid.

--------------------
Larry

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE those original reel change bits and like many others, i don't splice them out as well as, well, it's history, and rarely seen history at that! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC