8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WTB: Shadow of Werewolf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB: Shadow of Werewolf
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2012 02:05 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for the old Walton feature release of SHADOW OF THE WEREWOLF with Paul Naschy. I believe it's only in black and white sound, 4 X 400' reels. Must be in good condition and hopefully with the original boxes. Thanks for any leads.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bd-cine.com/fiche.php?id=3031

quite expensive but colour & brand new. I brought a few unused films off of them a while back. they were all good, smelt a bit musty though!

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

It appears to be just Black and White (i.e. N&B (Noir et Blanc))

Best,
Rick

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Ricky, I can see now that it say's N & B straight after the bold COLOUR text.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 10:57 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip - I have written the seller to ask about it.

Yes, I walked by the shop in Paris a couple summer's back. It was closed but I could tell just from the front that everything is a bit "musty" inside. Oh well, there are worse things...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 09:10 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, yes, the SHADOW OF THE WEREWOLF feature they have is B&W. I asked about it while ordering another Naschy film, Vengeance of the Zombies.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was only available in black and white from Walton unfortunately (why?!). I ordered it this morning. Scratch another one off the list!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 10, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Do you also have the 2x400' color German version?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon me Doug and Brian, but I believe I bought the 2X400' UFA version from Brian some time ago (via eBay), and later sold it here on the Forum to Roy Neil. It was a nice print with very good color, but I don't really like letterboxed prints. I wonder if the Walton print is full frame?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I had the UFA print and sold it (probably to you Joe!). Can't remember why I sold it - it was after I had recorded the sound on track 2. I think it had some light lines that bugged me. It was a good cut down and worth getting . I may pick up another one one day.

I believe the Walton feature is Adapted Scope (letterboxed). The digest is, and the old catalogue I have says the release is "Widescreen with no lens required." Will report back when I get it - I just wish Walton had released it in color... I guess nice black and white is better than a red print.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So true, so true...anything is better than a red print. Brian, I just watched that nice little video of that shop on their website...how the heck did you leave Paris without getting in there and checking it out????, bet it was tough! It reminded me of the old days. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to go inside soooo bad... but my last two trips to Paris were in August and the shop was closed for the month... so I couldn't wait that long. At least I didn't spend all my money there... someday I would love to visit when they're open.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 07:08 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Walton catalogue lists the film as being 'widescreen, no special lens required'. I presume that is for the 200ft cutdown as well as the feature. It will be interesting to know how by how much the image has been letterboxed. This film, listed in the catalogue as it is, has always fascinated me by being labeled as widescreen. I wonder if Walton had no choice of being able to use a fullscreen master, or if it was a marketing idea to sell widescreen to those with no scope lens? I dont remember coming accross any other Walton films processed in the same manner. It is hardly a famous film either and I wonder why they did not use a more well know title to promote the format?

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 07:46 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the movie was probably shot 1.85:1 hard matte, so the print is just a reflection of the way the original negative looked. Easier than zooming in and cropping the sides.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 09:46 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this Walton 4X400ft feature which I really love. It isn't one of Walton's best prints and it is very leterboxed, but it is well edited and makes a great double bill with Mountain's "Slaughter of the Vampires".

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2012 05:17 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched my Shadow of the Werewolf print that arrived from Paris. You're right Paul - it's not one of Walton's finer prints. It's a bit murky... but worst of all there are these weird white bursts that pop in and out - every few seconds... and sometimes they go away all together. Not sure what it is?! The film feels fine to the touch... it's almost like some kind of strange chemical marks... Does your print have this problem?
Parts of it are so annoying I was thinking of returning the print but the boxes look so cool on my shelf I'm not sure I can part with it!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC