8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » The Big Auction Leftovers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Big Auction Leftovers
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2012 07:19 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an an amazing collection of super 8mm digests from eBay seller clcgaragesalemi.

Check out the rest of this tread to see how it went.

Some great titles to be sure.

I felt like a kid in a candy store as I scanned this list.

See how high the prices got for titles like "King Kong (1976)", the 1x400 and 3x400 versions of "The Exorcist", and all those Universal 8 titles.

[ February 02, 2012, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I've been looking at this list and there is certainly a few choice titles I'l like to see on my shelf.
whoops just looked again, I think they're going to get outside my price range!
Ah well.
Terry

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've been looking at these too....I'm watching a few.

Although, I will probably 'watch' them go into some one else's collection!

Bill [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 21, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the list and I am in the process of re-mortgaging my house to buy a few [Confused] Not [Big Grin]

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2012 08:44 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya Bill. Ain't it the truth, Pat.

It looks like the most popular title right now is the 2x400 "Empire Strikes Back"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Ken-Films-Movie-Star-Wars-Empire-Strikes-Back-Part-1-2-400-/280809401694?pt=US_Film&hash=item41618b6d5e

This went up for auction yesterday. The staring bid was $20. 18 bids later and it is currently at $93.00. There are only two people bidding. d***n & 4***6. In three days we will see who wins the war.

Now, I have a question about a film they have for sale. Several great 400' Disney animated digests just went up. Among them are two German "Fantasia" reels from Piccolo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270898386025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Does anyone here have these? Are they the full segments or are they edited? I read about the Italian version here and I know Derann released some of the pieces separately. In fact, I will finally be getting my very own copy of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" very soon. But what is in this Piccolo version?

I know I could ask the seller but I haven't had a chance to yet. I did ask about the 1x400 "Poseidon Adventure". If you know me, it's the one digest I would love to have a perfect copy of. It has some fade, no VS and, the main thing I really wanted to know, No Narration! If this turned out to be "The" copy, I would be so happy. Then I could sell off my four copies. [Smile]

I see they have "Logan's Run"...
[Eek!]

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2012 11:03 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always hoped to get my hands on the 1976 "King Kong" from Marketing Films. I'd love to get the 3X400' edition, but I'd settle for the 1X400'er for the time-being. The hard part is that whenever I spy it on Ebay, it always spikes too high for my comfort. And what's with the high bids on the U-8 400' Monster Classics? These always go for such excessive amounts. Luckily I have most of them with the exception of the "Mummy" titles. Curious if the 400'ers really add worthwhile dimension to the 200' editions. I've heard some of them are real duds. Universal, it seems, didn't really put much thought behind what scenes to select and relied more on the fact that because they were extended versions of already popular titles they would sell well regardless. Unfortunately they were right.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2012 11:08 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris-That particular Fantasia segment is the "Dance of the Hours". There is a slight cut when the Hippo comes out of the water, maybe about 20 or 30 seconds. I had this for many years and the color was good.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2012 11:29 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

If this is just "Dance of the Hours" then why are there photos of "Pastoral Symphony" and "Nutcracker Suite" as well on the back? There are two reels listed. Could the second reel have either of the other titles? Also, did anyone ever release "Rite of Spring" or "Night on Bald Mountain" on super 8? I did not include Bach's "Toccata and Fugue" or "Ave Maria" in there because I doubt, outside of the full feature, that there was a separate reel for those pieces.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2012 12:03 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann had "Rite of Spring" & "Night on Bald Mountain" which segue wayed to "Ave Maria". However, "Rite of Spring" starts when the dinos appear and is missing the creation of Earth with the bubbly molten lava and the passing of billions of years.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2012 12:56 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Larry. That's too bad about "Rite of Spring". All of "Fantasia" is wonderfully animated but that whole sequence is simply brilliant.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2012 09:05 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the auctions are about half over.

Brad talked a few days ago about the high bids on the U8 Sci-Fi & Monster digests. They all sold for a combined total of nearly $900!!

There were several well-known titles that ended today. They all went for big bucks. The Exorcist and Superman The Movie at $51.00 each, JAWS 2x400 $109.16, King Kong (1976) $102.50, The Empire Strikes Back 2x400 $93.00 and this. I was truly stunned when I saw this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Ken-Films-Movie-Alien-400-Tom-Skerritt-Sigourney-Weaver-/280809406359?pt=US_Film&hash=item41618b7f97

Really?!!!

Would anyone here pay that?

Amazing.

And there are still lots of films for sale!

Looks like a whole lot of Marketing titles end tomorrow. And if anyone is looking for it, Ken's STAR WARS parts 1 & 2 is currently $70.77.

I'm watching several Disney 200's, myself. They end in 4 days. I just hope they stay within my budget.

I have an awful feeling they will not.

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2012 09:34 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

$200 for a 400' film?

Is there a way to contact the person who was out bid so I can sell them my copy of this film?

[Cool]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2012 10:30 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, even I can't believe that short sold for that high a price. Here are my reasons:

1. That same short has sold for less than $50 on eBay (if I'm not mistaken)
2. An addition of couple more hundreds could probably get you the whole feature (am I right?).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 25, 2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compulsive buying is a common phenomenon on Ebay. Buyer just realized it at the end of auction. There are two possibilities may happen:

1. Buyers have unlimited of money, they pay, seller is lucky
2. Buyers ask to cancel the transaction. Seller re-list or reject the request.

But then if seller reject the request, seller cannot do anyhting other than Ebay gives one strike to the buyer.

Akhsay, as for all Universal 8 films, it does still make a sense to me if they are not more than $70. But there are indeed 3 titles are sold for more than $110!!

Unbelievebale....may be the buyer is a completish type. He/she wants to make a full list of U-8 releases in his/her collection.

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2012 11:10 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I can buy the argument of a buyer trying to complete a collection.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 12:27 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any body want to sell me their copy of Super 8mm Movie "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" 400' ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160718571531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I can't believe what ALIEN went for? I have that in mint condition wow. Also there is this other high price for this that blows my mind!(JACK THE GIANT KILLER 1962 ) FEATURE Super 8 COLOR SOUND $399 http://www.ebay.com/itm/160718571531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I guess super 8mm is getting popular to the guys with money to burn. I will keep my collection.  -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 26, 2012 08:38 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There'a a third possible explanation, Winbert. Shilling or getting a friend to bid in order to drive up the final price. Quite often the item ends up being relisted at a later date as the item has not actually sold due to the shiller "winning" the item.
This is more common than you think.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 26, 2012 09:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I knew bid shilling is another possibility. But I put that aside because according to the record of the winner (and also the second winner), they have already bid/purchased another Films items previously (DVDs & Movies > Film).

This makes me believe there is a small possibility they have planned it since long time ago. Beside, the two top bidders are not new comers, the most common MO in bid shilling. They have had scores.

Moreover, the seller would not take a risk loosing his/her ID with this MO. As you can see this ID is working as a trade assistant with thousands score, so in other word, he/she makes a living through this ID. Wouldn't you think so?

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 09:25 AM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked the seller about the copy of alien & it was printed on Eastman stock, not agfa. Even for an agfa copy £200 would have been pretty crazy!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 26, 2012 09:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, perhaps the winner once read your post that you were searching Alien and willing to pay £500 . [Wink] [Big Grin]

Perhaps in the next few days you will be contacted by the winner for a "nice" offer [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

BTW, Lee, I got Alien (digest 400') on AGFA from Hans...!

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Any body want to sell me their copy of Super 8mm Movie "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" 400' ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160718571531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that "Empire Strikes Back" auction as well and it always gets me how someone will have an auction up, noy promising any good color, and yet the auction gets rediculously bid up! This seller doesn't say anything about the color, nor are there any screenshots.

I could care less how good or bad the boxes look, as they are no barometer of the actual "condition of the films. I see that so often, "Film condition is very good"

why? because it's on a reel and not all bent up?

Now, to be fair, my wife and I do not put up screenshots on our auctions too often, but we do0 give an honest assessment of the color condition of the print. At least the customer knows what the color will be like.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 26, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
I wasn't specifically referring to this auction but to auctions in general that reach unbelievably high prices.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 01:41 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seller does have some screenshots so they are capable of checking film condition. These are probably from that nice looking Elmo ST-1200 they have for sale. I suppose a request for screen shots can be made before the auction is over. I haven't asked.

And now, here is another ridiculous sale. This just ended.

BEN-HUR. The 1x400 17. min. version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-MGM-Film-Movie-Ben-Hur-400-Charlton-Heston-/270896994884?pt=US_Film&hash=item3f12b81a44

Crazy!

--------------------

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 01:56 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys, At such prices, I'm agree to sell all of my digest!

Just tosee, I've put on ebay:

A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN;
A&C MEET THE MUMMY.

I'm very curious if these films will ended with a high price!

Let's see.

Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/jeancblock/m.html?hash=item1c2337f3d2&item=120849953746&pt=US_Film&_trksid=p4340.l2562

[ January 26, 2012, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Jean-Christophe Deblock ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC