8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Star Wars Feature (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars Feature
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2012 10:11 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a Super 8 feature that consistently sells for more than Star Wars?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 01:26 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rose 400ft. I remember being outbid at the last moment! (Sorry I couldn't resist!)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 01:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think there is, besides, potentially, the other STAR WARS titles, especially "Empire Strikes Back", since it tends to be a little rarer than STAR WARS.

After all, the bar was set rather high with that 1,700 sale a few months back of STAR WARS.

The only other time I have seen really outrageously high bids was for films such as "Freaks" on super 8. I remember the one print of that on ebay, went for a two or three hundred dollars, or more, which was rather high for that B?W super 8 print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 10:20 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bid on it. It went for around $450. Grrrr!!!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 11:20 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here comes another one:
Star Wars Cineavision on eBay

I know we've had more than one discussion here comparing the various Star Wars full-feature releases, but was just surprised to see that nobody's ever entered a review of them into our Super 8 reviews section. May I suggest that to someone, please?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of Fred K. Wilders prints! I recognize the boxes! He would do that for his best prints (place photo's and all that stuff!) I have bought from him in the past!

I don't know if he sold it to someone else or if he has finally taken the plunge to sell on ebay.

That Cineavision print is completely unfaded, which is rare, as I believe that release was on Kodak SP, but it might well be on a low fade stock. Now there's a true rarity, epscially for the STAR WARS crowd. Wish I had the extra money to bid on it.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, here we go again!

CINEAVISION???

NO!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 06:15 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys forgot .....? This is Alan Rik, member of rhis forum. He is selling THE ROSE on 1200' reel [Smile]

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the price went as high as it did, in my opinion. Something going for a very high price can of course tend to bring out more of the same item, with others hoping to get similar sums. Considering that several copies of SW have sold in several months, it goes to show that some bidders dropping out has not caused prices to drop too much. I bet the seller is delighted.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 11:04 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of the rarest of the rare.

Here it is. "THE ROSE" starring Bette Midler and Alan Bates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZ7-1lYIoE

As you can see, the color is wonderful and the sound is the most amazing magnetic mono you have ever heard.

The greatest 17 min. of film you will ever see.

It can be yours to enjoy forever for the low, low price of only $500. A true bargain.

There will never be another like it.

Ever.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller stated that it is in fact Eastman LPP. Well, that's good to know, and unexpected. At least, it won't fade.

The only downside is that the color doesn't appear to be as rich and saturated as it is on the Derann scope print, but just for rarities sake, it's certainly a nice find.

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ended a $1200 - Nice sale.

Jon

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 06, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful colour,if you're into blue and purple.This was on Perry's
lists years ago for £8.00 and they still couldn't shift them,now I
know why.God spare us.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 06, 2012 08:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh what do you mean by £8.00 ?

A digest...? but this is a full feature.

BTW, if you see the screen shots, they are a but purplish and pale.

But if you see the youtube link, the colors are strong and perfect. Do you guys know why?

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2012 09:18 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was some discussion on getting new prints of a Star Wars feature on the forum sometime back. How much would it cost to get a made-to-order print? Would it exceed $1000?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2012 09:18 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Winbert and Hugh are both confused by THE ROSE vs. STAR WARS connections in this post [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 07, 2012 01:30 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me answer..let me! [Smile]
I don't like to comment on auctions while they are in progress but now its over.. .
The actual youtube clip was filmed off the wall using my iphone 4s. Not even any flicker! And that is how the print actually looks in person. The other photos were scanned using an Epson V500. Maybe it needs color correction? Not sure why but the iphones colors are truer.
I did like that print and it was hard to decide which print to sell. I have the Derann print and there are definitely more of the Derann prints around than that one.
The content of the prints are the same (and no...the Cinevision print didn't have the 2nd Grappling hook throw at the chasm!) with the exception of the subtitles with Greedo in the Cantina scene, and the opening scrawl which is the original and not the New Hope version. And also the Cinevision print does have cropped sides so you do get a slightly wider view of the film.
The print quality is actually very good but Osi is correct in that the contrast is better on the Derann print in most scenes except for the scene with Obi Wan and Luke in Tattoine where Luke is given the lightsaber. The Cinevision print looks much better than the Derann print and is more defined compared to the Derann print which looks a little more blown out highlights wise.
I re-recorded the sound on the Derann print and I screened both prints one after another. 4 hours of Star Wars! In the end being lazy I decided to keep the Derann print....even though it is the New Hope version so I wouldn't have to re-record the audio again. Because in Stereo with the Elmo Speakers on the side of the screen...I felt like I was a kid again sitting in the darkened theatre watching Luke, Han, and Leia..when all was good with the world. (Except in California where there was a drought and we were not allowed to turn on the sprinklers except for in the mornings and only 3 times a week!)

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2012 05:22 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

Congratulations on your sale. Regarding "also the Cinevision print does have cropped sides so you do get a slightly wider view" just one correction, sorry I can't help myself being a Telecine Colourist!

There is no cropping to the sides on the CineaVision style print, what you see in the Super 8mm frame is the FULL 2.35:1 Panavision original and what you get is a slightly 'taller' view i.e. more of the original top and bottom of frame. However, there is cropping to the top and bottom of the Derann 2.66:1 print i.e. the 2.35:1 original fits the Super 8mm frame width showing the original full frame width (as does the CineaVision style print) but as a consequence the top and bottom of the original 2.35:1 are lost, but I'm sure you already know this.

Making a choice between the two styles of print is a hard one I agree, so hard in fact I can't be without a copy both in my collection... why I don't know, maybe it's a 'new' illness [Big Grin]

Enjoy,
Rick

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 07, 2012 06:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No Joe,Winbert and I aren't confused,I was responding to the comment Chris made regarding the quality etc on the "Rose"
clip he'd put on you tube about the print quality being great
which I didn't think it was.Mind you,it is difficult to see the words
for the $ signs.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2012 07:09 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that I much prefer the 'cinevision' format for 'scope films. It would have been nice if derann had gone down that route but I suppose it means making another inter negative/ optical printer stage to get the master material that way, which I'm sure was quite expensive.
It was just always annoying, when running trailers in particular, that the type in the image would sometimes be cut off top and bottom on the more conventional 'scope print. But maybe using scope lenses in conjunction with S8 was a step too far overall considering the technical limitations of the format, a 4x3 image just always seems tidier and sharper to me!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 07, 2012 07:36 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ricky,
Yes you are correct! That is what I meant.
I would have loved to have both but I made the reserve high maybe "hoping" It wouldn't sell and then I would be forced to keep the print! But the "Force" was too strong with this one. [Smile]

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now, a wonderful quote...

from "Young Frankenstein".

Frederick: What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one?

[Big Grin]

But seriously, congrats Alan.

We can debate about ratios and colors and all, but at the end of the day it is still a beautiful print. If I could afford it, I would be so happy to have this film in my library. This and a Derann print. This, a Derann print, Empire and Jedi.

I can dream, can't I?

[Smile]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,...nothing is impossible.

I started my super 8mm collection back in 1985 when my father brought home a projector (Sankyo 501) to Indonesia. I was so amazed and started buying films from local flea markets. I learned about Derann wonderful prints in 1996 when I was assigned to Australia for studying.

Being from a developing country and the limited budget I had, it was far from my imagination to have these Derann prints, so I could only buy the usual prints.

But there is a time when finally I have several Derann prints in my collection (that include Star Wars) by re-selling all multiple copies I had (both films and vinyls), that I could get extra money. Basically I did not need to spend so much money to fill my hobby.

So, patience and perseverance are the two words in my life of collecting.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 07, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, thats lovely and we want to hear of those prints you
parted with and probably would like again,so get on the link and
let us know.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2012 04:02 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, most of my revenue came from vinyls. Selling films only for those I have double in my collection.

Vinyls are so scarce in Indonesia, while as a government official I have more chance to travel abroad. So when returned home I brought vinyls that I bought only $1-2 from western country flea markets. It could be re-sold 10 to 30 times from the original prices.

I have my own place to sell vinyls:

http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=6129107

It is in Indonesian of course.

Those vinyls fund my film collecting hobby [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC