8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Nosferatu (1922) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wanted: Nosferatu (1922)
Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, i'm new here. One of my little hobbies is film. A few weeks ago i missed an eBay UK auction for Murnaus 'Nosferatu' on Super8 from the Collectors Club label. Now i continue looking for a full length feature of Murnaus Nosferatu on Normal8, Super8 or 16mm. Silent or with music, b/w or virage, please just offer. I'm from Germany, so it would be nice if the seller is from here or UK, since shipping from US is too expensive (there is a auction for a 16mm print in the USA, but shipping is over 60$ ...). Best regards to all film fans.

--------------------
KINOTON FP30D w/ 1kW Xenon & FP30 w/ 1.6kW Xenon
BAUER SONOLUX II w/ 36V/400W Halogen
CARL ZEISS TK35/52 w/ 36V/400W Halogen
ELMO ST-1200D M&O 24V/250W Mod with Schneider Lens 1.1 / 11-25

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Chris, it might be a good idea to give Ian at PERRY'S MOVIES
a ring as this is a title that I have seen many times on secondhand
film lists Perry's tel;020 8577 1750 or e-mail
ian@perrysmovies-freeserve.co.uk Best of luck

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was available in a shortened version from the original Perry's from the 70's on standard 8 with a running time of about 60mins. I understand that there are varios versions out there and some missing footage has been restored to later prints. My VHS copy has 84 minutes on the run time and contains more footage. Collectors Club version could be the short version. Do try ringing Perry's because like Hugh has said copies have been on his lists. The longer versions I feel are restricted to the DVD releases and not on the film versions that have been available so far.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin is correct as far as I know. I don't think there are any complete versions on 16mm either. If someone knows different, I'll stand corrected.
If you really want to see this film the best bet is the Masters of Cinema DVD. It's excellent.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you're saying Michael.I have a version on DVD
purchased just within the last few weeks from Amazon, a double
disc that is full of documentaries, two versions of the film and a
booklet and the cost was pennies,the company is Eureka video.
I still have my std 8mm version and I think its probably the
"shudder factor" that you get from watching these films in the
dark that Chris is looking for,you know what I mean, you're sitting
there all alone with your can of beer,crucifix and hammer & stake,cos' you never know!

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 08:22 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian,
I'm sure you must have checked this out already:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/NOSFERATU-KOMPLETTFASSUNG-SUPER-8-VAMPIRE-GOTHIC-1920er-/220965986855?pt=DE_DVDs&hash=item3372996227

--------------------
Yannis

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 06:44 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, take my advice amigo and get yourself a copy of this film
from someone on here or one of the dealers and try and avoid
the outlandish and ridiculous prices asked for the most mundane
titles on E-bay.There's also Phil Sheards new magazine take out
a sub & place your ad for free.The film you're chasing isn't a rare
film and I'm sure you'll get one in a short space of time.

Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2012 10:26 AM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

Thank you for your replies. [Smile]

I wrote Ian at Perry's Movies an email and waiting for a response. I've seen the Nosferatu Super8 print on german eBay, but like Hugh wrote about ridiculous prices on eBay, the price is also too high.

I've got a DVD of Nosferatu, running about 94min and it is digitally remastered ... no scratches etc. They added some missing footage. I thought that i could find a film print of Nosferatu with around 84min running time, like the old public domain version. On eBay actually someone sells a 16mm print with 81mins running time, but like i said, shipping is too high for me.

I think, watching Nosferatu on film would be a great experience. Darkness ... a big screen (mine is 2m x 2m)... the rattle of the projector in the background ... you know what i mean? [Smile]

Sorry for my bad english hehe. I hope everyone can understand my sentences. [Wink]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the company is Eureka video.
Hi Hugh,
Yes that's the MoC version to which I was referring. It's the best around on that title.

I understand the fondness for seeing such films in the dark on real film, etc. but I certainly wouldn't pay a high price for a title such as this which isn't complete.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 02:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
My sentiments exactly Michael,his film will turn as it isn't a
particularly rare title and sods law if the lad bought the thing
off E-bay there would be one going cheap the day after.
Chris there's nothing wrong with your English,you've made
yourself understood,it's a helluva lot better than my German!
I can't honestly say I've seen one on 16mm but they are very
common on the 8mm gauges and that shouldn't push you into
paying over the odds.Unless Michael or Colin have come across
versions on 16mm?

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are 16mm versions around but incomplete as far as I'm aware.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased Nosferatu on a 1200' Super 8 reel. The seller told me that "this is the most complete print I will ever find on Super 8". He said so because years ago he purchased two prints , one a Thunderbird and the other a Blackhawk, and spliced the opening and closing scenes from the Thunderbird onto the Blackhawk. If I play this at 18 fps, it will play for 80 minutes. But should I play it at 18 fps? I haven't seen the feature yet.

Andreas Benz
Junior

- posted March 01, 2012 03:15 PM      Profile for Andreas Benz   Email Andreas Benz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
18 fps is the officially recommended speed for Nosferatu. The best and most complete version around on DVD is the one from Transit Film, the rights holder for Nosferatu: http://www.amazon.de/Nosferatu-Symphonie-Grauens-Steelbook-Deluxe/dp/B0007PLF7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330635853&sr=8-1
It has the original color tints (in the B/W versions Nosferatu is clearly walking around in broad daylight!) as well as the reconstructed original orchestral score by Hans Erdmann.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 04:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has the original color tints (in the B/W versions Nosferatu is clearly walking around in broad daylight!) as well as the reconstructed original orchestral score by Hans Erdmann.

Yes, the MoC/Eureka version also has these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nosferatu-Definitive-Fully-restored-version-original/dp/B000VU0KJA/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1330641310&sr=1-2

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding film speeds on classic silents would range between
anything like 12 to 20 frames depending on the cameraman,
because these cameras were hand cranked and the speed
would vary from operator to operator,just as now if you ran two
identical projectors at 24fps one would still be running faster
than the other.although 18fps is the rate for s/8 slt, I think that
the std 8mm 16fps would be nearer the mark for correct
projection of these films and of course give a truer running time
to the film proper.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2012 03:49 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

ask Michael Schneider from the Filmdose and don't forget to search on mediavana as well...

Jörg

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2012 10:10 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Nosferatu from a single 1200' reel and it played for almost 80 minutes. Amidst the horror, my wife and I noticed that it opened as a Thunderbird print and closed as a Blackhawk! Like I'd said earlier, the seller has spliced the opening scenes and the closing shot (a look at Orlok's dilapidated castle) from the Thunderbird print.

Can someone tell me which scenes are missing? My wife realized that the scene of Harker shaving is one that's absent, or does Harker shave only in the later remakes? Any other missing scenes?

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting and a unique print. My copy from VHS copy says the running time is 84 minutes at 20fps, Got it from my local library for a couple of pounds ex stock. Have trasfered to DVD and is a nice copy. Most of the 8mm & 16mm prints are around the usual cut of 60minutes. I dont think that it matters really, because if you want it on film then it's still good at that length of time. If you want the restored version then go for the silver disc and show on the box or digital projection.

s

Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2012 07:52 AM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the old ebay auction website of the Nosferatu print i've missed. It was sold for only £22.50. ...

Collectors Club print on 6 five inch reels.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310364438632&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 05, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,don't be down hearted,I well remember trying to get the
film"City of the Dead"on std 8mm,for years I patiently waited
then missed it by a whisker on a second hand list.I'll probably
never get this movie, but Nosferatu is quite well known and
quite common and the price it actually went for on E-bay
reflects this.I will go so far as to say that all the dealers on this
Forum will have had this print through their hands numerous
times.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 06, 2012 06:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It used to be said that the STD8 version was better than the Sup 8 print from Collectors Club.

Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Hugh
I will patiently wait, too ... and keep my eyes open. Thanks for your encouragement. [Smile] I hope some time you will get your 'City of the Dead' print in a nice condition.

@ Lee Mannering
What is the difference between the std8 and sup8 version of the collectors club version? It seems that you know about this versions. What's the running time of this features? A seller on eBay wrote the Sup8 runs approx 90mins. But i think that can't be correct. In these days the most completed version of Nosferatu was ~84min i think.

I found out that Blackhawk released 5 versions of Nosferatu.

Std8 550feet
Std8 925feet
Sup8 625feet
Sup8 1000feet
16mm 1875feet

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 06, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,I have been making enquiries over here and one of the
dealers says he might have it and is having a look.I will keep you
posted and I'll give him another go tomorrow,so he doesn't
forget.One way or another amigo,we'll git yer vampire fer ya.

Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2012 08:15 PM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hugh, that's nice from you. Did you get a reply from the dealer? [Smile] Ian at Perry's Movies has not replied yet. I just had contact with a private dealer in Germany who wanted to sell a super8 digest for 100€. [Eek!]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 11, 2012 09:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,I did get in touch with him and he is certain he has the film
but he is a bit infirm and he assures me he will search it out.I'll
give a ring tomorrow for you and see if he's made any headway
and let you know what's happening.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC