8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » The First Alfred Hitchcock movie on 8mm at Ebay.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The First Alfred Hitchcock movie on 8mm at Ebay.
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 13, 2012 08:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps this would be the interest of Hitchcok fans, here is his first film printed on 8mm at Ebay.com:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160821672229

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2012 12:37 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had me excited for a minute there - his first movie (as director) is called "The Pleasure Garden" and I've never seen it on film in any format. His Second movie "The Mountain Eagle" apparently no longer exists at all. The Lodger is his third movie.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 14, 2012 09:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steven,

It is partially right .... (so is partially wrong as well [Wink] )

My comment is based on this essay:

The Lodger: The First 'Hitchcock' Film

it says:

quote:
Though not technically his first film, The Lodger is considered “the first Hitchcock film” because it is the first of his films to contain many of what would become his stylistic and thematic trademarks.
cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad it's Regular 8, otherwise it would've been an interesting item for me.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this film on regular 8mm. It is a nice print. Super 8 would be nice but I couldn't pass up the regular 8mm when I got mine as I am a big Hitchcock buff. This has sweet homemade artwork too!

I wonder if this title was ever available in super 8? Does anyone know?

Steve...I have seen VHS copies available of 'The Pleasure Garden' probably 10 years ago on the internet and they were $40.
I don't know what the source material was but I would guess 35mm. I don't know if that film was ever made available on 16mm. You would know better than I.

Bill [Smile]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2012 09:55 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Bill -
I have a DVD of "The Pleasure Garden" - I think it's from the UK. They apparently found a decent print of it, because it looks very nice.

I've never heard of a 16mm print however... I'm only missing a dozen or so Hitchcock directed titles in 16mm - Pleasure Garden, Mountain Eagle (doesnt exist), The Ring, Downhill (When Boys Leave Home), Champagne, Mary, Juno and the Paycock, Skin Game, Rich and Strange, Elstree Calling, Waltzes from Vienna. I think that's it... I know prints of "The Ring" and "Rich and Strange" are around - just haven't found them yet... Don't know about the others

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2012 10:54 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought this Super 8 print of "The Lodger" two months ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150796017456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2012 05:05 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow John..what a smokin' deal you got there! How is the print?

Steve...I would love to find a copy of JUNO AND THE PAYCOCK on 16mm...I love that film, very underrated as far as I'm concerned. You say you have never seen one....guess I'll have to live with my so-so VHS/DVD copies.

Bill [Smile]

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2012 07:14 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice print, no problems. First time I've seen the film, so of course I don't know if it's missing any scenes as the seller suspected. It seemed complete to me, and a very entertaining film for a silent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC