8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Gamera on EBay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gamera on EBay
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen a copy of this film anywhere [Confused]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8mm-GAMERA-vs-GAOS-GYAOS-Sound-Film-in-Colours-60mt-200ft-/251136559596?pt=US_Film&hash=item3a78e7c9ec

-

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you want to bet that most if not all those screenshots are NOT from the print?!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 05:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I cannot for the life of me see the fascination of Japanese monster movies.The first Godzilla was a
dark,creepy film but for the majority it's a bit like the Muppets.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 06:48 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...easy on the Muppets Hugh!

Yes as the films progressed he sort of became the good guy, protector of the earth from other monsters...and some of the battles were kind of silly...but it is a guilty pleasure...I just love Godzilla! Some of the more recent Godzilla movies are more adult in nature...not geared towards kids so much as the films of the late 1960 early 1970's were.

Now Gammera...he's pretty cool too but does look rather fake in all his films...that was a different studio, not TOHO.

I have never seen this film on super 8 either.

Bill [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 09:00 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is this a bootleg maybe? I was thinking of buying it because it's so rare. [Confused] The info is kind of vague [Confused] I agree with the mighty OZ. I think the screen shots are NOT from the film. [Frown]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 09:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"mighty" OZ? Well, I don't know about that ...

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

(cuz it's me!)

It looks like it might well be an actual print and not a bootleg. (Perhaps the truly mighty Melzter could weigh in on this?)

... that, and we have literally no idea as to hopw many Japanese Muppet Monster shows were released on supe 8, and probably on Fuji film stock, which would be in large part, good color to this day!

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 11:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a lot on S/8 in Germany in 2x400' with no doubt
excellent sound and print,probably Japan as well,remember the
little film clip Doug obtained complete with book.If it's any
cosolation,I agree, the Muppets rule.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh!

Osi....are you trying to get me riled up? [Big Grin]

Bill [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 02:10 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall wait for the all knowing , all faithful "Meltzer" [Cool] to respond. Then , and only then, shall I make my decision to purchase this item of such rarity. Now I shall be solem as I have spoken!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 26, 2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

I've been watching this one also. I remember being told some time ago that there were some Daiei Studios releases on 8mm, but only in Japan. There might be a German release of a Gamera title, but the only one I know of is the scope trailer to "Gamera vs. Monster X" (Gamera tai Daimaju Jaiga).

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

If you want it go for it. I won't bid .

Pat

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of a sketch on a now almost forgotten TV show called "Fridays" (which was in response t "Saturday Night Live" and had as part of it's comedy troup, the fellow who would later on play "Kramer" on Seinfeld ... yeah, I'm a wealth of useless information!) ...

... and there was a sketch which was ... "Open season on Muppets"

Now, I wonder if the show was sued, as they went to a beach, had the pupeteers buried in the sand and, as if they were beating baby seals, a bunch of fellows went out and were beating protesting muppets to death ...

which followed with shots of muppets tied to the hoods of cars and what would be made with the "pelts", namely "Rowlf' fur coats, leather coats made with Miss Piggy ect.

It was funnier than hell! Anyone remember that one!?

You are now riled!!! [Smile]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 26, 2012 10:32 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

That's so kind, but please...go for it! At least that way one of us might get this film!

Doug

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 08:19 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi...your an ornery rascal! [Big Grin]

So...who is the lucky owner of this one? Any one we know?

Bill [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 01, 2012 09:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....me......

Doug

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 10:12 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool...please report back on what it is and how it plays....I have the film on DVD and ended up watching it the other night as a result of this topic so I am interested in hearing about this digest.

Bill [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 01, 2012 11:14 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely! I'll also screen it at the CineSea convention on October 13th.

Doug

--------------------

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 08:25 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost bid on this one too but backed out for no good reason.

I just came back from Japan and am always on the lookout for G related stuff but every time I mention film, I get this puzzled look.
My brother-in-law says that film collecting was considered a very elite hobby in which only very wealthy people could indulge, yet I do find a plethora of projectors in the used merchandise stores.
I think the Muppet/Godzilla comparison is a good one. Both are worldwide iconic characters and both display characteristics totally unlike the animals they are patterned after. In other words, somebody complaining that Godzilla doesn't look or act like a dinosaur or lizard is like saying Kermit doesn't act much like a frog. That's missing the point! And the fun.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 01, 2012 11:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patrick, you are back.

Although this will be OOT, but allow me to thank Patrick for sending me "Mighty Joe Young" through my friend in Washington DC. Patrick, I have just received it. am still waiting for a time to screen it.

Again thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 27, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a review.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC