8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » SOLD - TERROR BY NIGHT super 8 sound Sherlock Holmes feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOLD - TERROR BY NIGHT super 8 sound Sherlock Holmes feature
Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

TERROR BY NIGHT (1946) starring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Dr. Watson, probably one of the three or four best Holmes films in the Universal series. Film is a super 8mm mag sound Niles print in good condition, broken down onto three 400' reels. Reel one is VERY full, so much so I think the print could use some judicious editting, taking 20 or 30 feet from reel one that is spilling off and splicing it onto reel two (I had no trouble screening the print, however). I already own a copy of this film, this is an extra print I received in a trade. Film is on plastic reels and in three cans (two metal and one plastic). Film is rather heavy so it will be sent Media Mail. $30 plus shipping in USA.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kevin, I sent you a pm.

Bill [Smile]

Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bill, hope you enjoy the movie

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 12:27 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do the old Niles prints compare with the DVD versions?
Do you remember the old catalogues from Niles Cinema was their full name I think. The one I have is newspaper (tabloid) sized.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the 12 Universal Sherlock Holmes films restored by the UCLA Film Archives on dvd are the best prints available of these titles but the super 8mm releases by Niles are, for the most part, pretty good. Four of the twelve films are in the public domain (Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon, The Woman in Green, Terror by Night & Dressed to Kill) and these prints are not quite as sharp as the other eight "official" releases - but still not bad. The eight copyrighted films licensed to Niles to sell are good prints, sharp, pretty good sound quality, very collectible. I have nine of the twelve Universal Sherlock Holmes and if anyone has prints of "Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror," "Sherlock Holmes in Washington" or "The House of Fear" for sale, let me know. Thanks!

[ October 04, 2012, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Meyer ]

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 03:24 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niles used Original Television Negatives. When released to television, the Universal Logo, "Universal Presents", and the original End Titles were removed and are not in the Negatives. So the Niles prints do not have them. Some titles may not have the Cast Credits at the very end; Kevin can verify this. One Title in the series the name of which I can no longer remember, has somewhat soft focus. It existed in the Original 16mm Television prints and the Niles prints as well. The reason being that the original 35mm Nitrate Negative no longer exists. So the Television Negative used a Mint Print for its source. Generally, because Niles used Original Licensed Negatives the quality is Very Good to Excellent. The Features are fully complete as well.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin...received the film, spooled it on a 1200' and really enjoyed it. This is my first Holmes feature and glad to have it. Joe was correct in that there was no Universal logo and the end title was TV. The print had almost no wear at all, little dark in the outside scenes, good detail otherwise.

You weren't kidding about that first reel spilling over....I think there was 500' on that 400' reel!

Bill [Smile]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 05:44 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing...please erase!

Bill [Smile]

Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 11:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, so glad you enjoyed the film! Hope this might be the first of more Holmes films added to your collection. I think TERROR BY NIGHT is one of the best in the series, after THE SCARLET CLAW, THE PEARL OF DEATH and THE SPIDER WOMAN.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 01:29 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, did your print have the Cast Credits at the end? I had a Brand New 16mm print of that film. And at the end the music briefly started then ended as the picture faded out. I suspect it was there but the end of the Negative got damaged so it was spliced out. The quality was breathtaking; it was like watching a 35mm print. When Niles worked with Original Licensed Negatives their Lab turned out excellent prints.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe...the film has a generic THE END title that mentions Television..something/something....I can't remember exactly.
No cast titles at the end.

It is my goal to eventually get all the Universal Holmes pictures. I love the atmosphere in the films...very repeatable. I'm glad this was my first because I really like this one and I like trains too!

Bill [Big Grin]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 13, 2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone has the dvd Boxset of the Rathbone
Definitive Sherlock Holmes Collection which has a great documentary on the restoration of these Classic films and tells
the viewer why certain titles at the beginnings and ends of the films had to be replaced.Fascinating stuff.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 10:28 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, "Terror By Night" had a superimposed "The End" over the last scene. Or it faded into a "The End" title and mentioned: "Motion Pictures For Television" as the distributor. There was no consistency in the way the End Titles were handled when the Negatives were made for Television.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it fades into the generic THE END tile with the Motion Pictures for Television logo.

Bill [Smile]

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was!
[Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC