8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking For a Niles Catalog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking For a Niles Catalog
Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 03:46 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone looking to sell a Niles Films catalog from the late 70's or early 80's?

Nostalgia is overwhelming me.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 08:00 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have a catalog but here is a link to a two page insert that may be of interest.

Niles 2 Page Sheet

Cheers
Terry

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 11:26 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat, thank you.

I love to know how some of those looked, I had a lot of their prints when I first began. Most were pretty awful. I only remember WHITE ZOMBIE, and CONQUEST OF THE POLE being decent, with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD being just OK. All the Silent horror I bought was pretty wretched.

They went out of business while I was still ordering from them, and kept my $ for a print of BLUEBEARD, which I never got.

To add insult to injury, I later boxed up and mailed my ugly Niles prints along with my 200ft. silent Castle and Ken Films titles to sell through a third consignment party, and never heard from them again either.

My mother was about ready to insist I stop film-collecting at that point.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first feature length film was their print of "Cattle Queen of Montana". I bought it used off E-bay about 8 years ago. At first I thought it was just another faded print, but came to realize that it probably always looked that way.

Cattle Queen

$199 for a sub-par print must have stung at a time when you could get a fairly decent new car for three or four grand!

Still the same, I watch it a couple of times a year and enjoy it a lot.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 04:52 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cattle Queen of Montana" when brand new had vivid lush color as it was struck from a licensed original negative. Niles had the rights to a few color features that were originally released through RKO. They were all Benedict Bogeaus independent productions which is why they had obtained the rights and there were only a few titles.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 10:54 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have many, many Niles flyers, but don't know if I ever had a catalog.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 03:06 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niles catalogs seem to be harder to come by than a Blackhawk or Red Fox. I'd like to get a Griggs catalog someday too. I remember they had pretty crummy hand-rendered illustrations that were trying to look vintage, that nonetheless had some charm in their inaccuracy.

Speaking of bad film-collecting art. When I was weighing the next bunch of card images the put in The Monster Volume 3, was tempted to put this one in just because its' soo bad. In spite of the BLOOD ON HIS LIPS title, I'll guess this is actually a cut-down of HIDEOUS SUN DEMON? Anyway, here's the down-and dirty, unrestored image.
 -

[ October 10, 2012, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Timothy Ramzyk ]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 12:02 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy I have to disagree about the Griggs art. I think they were usually pretty good and they had multiple artists who did work for them...I think the ones you are referring to were by a guy named Anthony Phillips who did more of a caricature type that might have looked hokey..

-

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that latter image isn't original film-art reprinted? You're right though, it's the work of Anthony Phillips I remember. I think they or he even sold posters of his art at the time.

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC