8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Ray Harryhausen "Mighty Joe Young"orphanage scenes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ray Harryhausen "Mighty Joe Young"orphanage scenes
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a reel of the orphanage scenes. From a digest 400 ft,feature end reel 400 ft , or 3 or 2 parter 400 ft super 8mm or a 200 ft sound film.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 03:06 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 400' Digest does not contain any Orphanage scenes.
A 3 reel version was never released.
The contents of the 2 reel version are unknown as only a few prints were struck.
A 200' version was only released silent and does not contain any Orphanage scenes.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 12:19 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how would I get the orphanage scenes? Can anyone tell me? Anyone selling the feature or end reel part?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I can buy the other parts? I already have the night club scenes on a 400 ft reel. The only scenes left are the horse roping scenes in the beginning of the film and the orphanage scenes at the end. What about the feature film is that in 5 reels or 4 reels?

--------------------

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 5 reel version was never released.

The Feature is available in a 4x 400' version which is abridged from Mountain Films which is a UK release. Though abridged, it has the Orphanage scenes.
OR
The Feature is available in a 6x 400' version which is Fully Complete so naturally it has the Orphanage scenes. This uncut version is the American Nostalgia Merchant release.

The UK release is the easiest to find but you will most likely have to purchase it from a seller in the UK.
Its highly unlikely you will find just the last reel of either version. Buy either version then sell off what you currently have and you won't have to do any editing at all. Or keep what you have for Replacement Footage.

Hope this information has been helpful.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 09, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A 5 reel version was never released.
Joe, thanks for the complete details. But I have another incomplete MJY that has 4 reels. The story ends when Joe Young was in the cage and 3 drunken men distracted Joe Young making him mad. Later Jill and her boyfriend get a van to release Joe Young. The film ends there.

I haven's seen this feature for the whole of my life so I did not have any idea for the story flow. Do you think I still need reel#5 and #6? If that is the case and reel#6 is only half, I guess there is still 22 - 25 minutes missing.

I thought the story was almost to end when Joe Young was going to the orphanage. That's why previously I mentioned 5 reels version. BTW, my reels has British censorship card in the beginning....so it is from Mountain (UK)

Please confirm.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 09, 2012 07:01 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can remember Winbert, the final spool of the UK
release has Joe rescued and the substitute truck scene with
Max leading the police off the trail and then the orphanage fire
and rescue etc.It's been quite a few years since I sold my print
but all the key scenes were intact.Of course the American version was a far better option being complete.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 12:23 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
My UK release print was mounted on a 1200' reel. I questioned whether it was all 4 reels when I bought it. Hugh told me that his fit onto a 1200' reel when he had it. So you are missing one reel which is #4. The only practical solution for you and Laksmi is to purchase a UK print. In your case, you can sell what you have and apply it towards the cost of another print. On my print, Reel 1 ends where they are roping Joe Young cowboy style. Reel 2 starts with a fade in on the Brooklyn Bridge. That is where I remounted it onto 2 reels. On my Reel 1 after they are shown trying to tie Joe Young up there is a splice on the print and the scenes repeat themselves. Because its so obvious, I am wondering if it was like that theatrically. That is why I was interested in buying your Odd Reels before they became expensive. Where the splice is, it might be replacement footage though it matches in quality. I have not had a chance to watch the rest of my print but I did rewind it to the end to make sure the original ending is there. The Orphanage scenes are there as well as what comes afterwards. So some of the 400' reels couldn't have been very full before they were all spliced together. Does your Reel 1 end like mine and does Reel 2 Fade In? [Confused] If not, then my print doesn't match the the Mountain Films cut. Mine is definitely a UK print as it has the British Board of Film Censors certificate at the beginning before the Titles. The film has scenes in NYC after the Orphanage sequence and it ends there. That is how it ended theatrically and those scenes are in the UK print. If your print is 4 reels then you possibly have a Nostalgia Merchant print with a replacement Reel 1 from a Mountain Films print. Let me know if your Reels 1 and 2 match mine. Then when I watch the rest of my print this week I will tell you where the remaining reels are spliced together. Then we will be able to sort this out for certain. [Smile]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 10, 2012 05:06 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally took some time to dig through my catalogues.

Film Office, in France, released two 400ft reels of Mighty Joe Young, one is the night-club scene (called "Music Hall Panic") and the other one is called "Heroic Rescue". I haven't seen this reel but by looking at the title, I gather it's got the orphanage sequence in there...
I haven't seen it for sale recently, Laksmi but this info should give you hope. [Smile]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 10:30 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanka Jean, I have the Mountain film with a yellow case and art work from mountain films. I got it from Pasquale DAlessio . It was a 400 reel and great B/w print. Iguess it is "Music Hall Panic") the night club scenes and ended with the Van taking off with Joe. I guess I just bought another 400 reel from Winbert and maybe it has the cowboy scene I hope? I don't know it is part 2. I will know when I get it ? Or more of the "Music Hall Panic"? I would love to get the other one you are talking about from France Jean called "Heroic Rescue". Please keep a look out for me.

[ October 10, 2012, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 10, 2012 10:58 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I haven't seen this feature I cannot guess. But if "the Music Panic" scene is originally located above minutes 30:00, most likely it will be reel #3.

JM, how rare is the two parter from Film Office?

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 400' silent reel just called "Escape" It starts with the van escape an includes the complete orphanage scene. It's a silent reel so I combined it with the Ken film 200' to make a neat little digest.
Cheers
Terry

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Terry it sounds great who made the "Escape" 400 silent? Maybe I can get that and add it to Pat's and Winbert's footage ?.

--------------------

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Laksmi
I got "Escape" from Ebay UK years ago and it came in a plain white box. There is no info on the leader and the titles do not mention Might Joe Young at all (just a new title card with the word "Escape") There are no subtitles. Its the final reel as it just starts with the van escape and then has the complete orphanage scene. Who know maybe there is a sound version kicking around!?!

Like I said, makes a great digest added to the Ken film - a very full 400' reel.

Cheers
Terry

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got lucky I don't know how I will find it or when? I guess I'm lucky with what I got. It is not a very common film.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC