8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Blackhawk Silver boxe releases?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackhawk Silver boxe releases?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm actually curious about the boxes and not the films. When did Blackhawk initiate they're silver boxes? I've always assumed around 1982 or so, but I'm not quite sure.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2012 06:06 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be right about that Osi. Its hard for me to be very accurate on this. There was about a 4 year period back in the 70's when I stopped buying from Blackhawk for a while (I started getting hooked on all the new color-sound stuff that was pumping out from Ken, etc.).

Then, in 82 or 83, I ordered a couple of films from them and, surprise- What's this?? New silver boxes. Cool!

Where's Shorty?? He could probably give you the exact date and time of the switch. [Wink]

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 26, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got word that the Bloackhawk silver box releases were initiated in 1981, which coincided with they're newly struck negatives and in fact, (in nearly every case), these silver box editions are superior to thier earlier releases. i just shows what a class act Blackhawk was. Usually, quality tends to go downhill instead of uphill.

By the way folks, sorry, this ended up getting posted in the for sales section.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that date may be a little late. I went to college in the Fall of 1980 and didn't have the time or money to collect films for many years, but before that happened I bought my one and only brand new Blackhawk: a print of "First 500 Mile Indianapolis Race" in a silver box.

-my next Blackhawk came off E-bay about 20 years later! (After undergrad, and graduate school, and dating, and engagement, and marriage, and house...but before kid!)

So I'm estimating this box early 1980, maybe even late 1979...when I was in High School and life was simpler!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with that too. I would say it was about 79 or 80, that I got a silver box Blacksmith with Buster Keaton. I wish I still had it. I sold it a few years ago, when I got the earlier scored print. The grey box has a much brighter picture. One odd thing though, I have a silver box A Sailor Made Man with Harold Lloyd, which has a great picture, but runs on the dark side. Can't complain though, since that title doesn't come up too much.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a silver box print of "Barney Oldfields Race for Life" a silver box edition, and they took that 18fps (approximately, it was always a little hard to tell with those early ones) and increased it to 24 fps with a very good orgain score. I sold that to our own Shorty, and I hope he has enjoyed it.

I also have the silver box editions of ....

The Littlest Angel (LPP color)
Bold King Cole (Felix the Cat LPP)
Neptunes Nonsense (Felix the Cat LPP)
The Cuckoo Clock that Wouldn't Cukoo (Rare cut out animation film LPP!)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2012 02:10 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "from the Blackhawk Collection" boxes was a campaign
attracting customers, libraries to the wealth of media in their collection.
The black badge on the silver box was Blackhawks pledge, commitment
and trusted quality of exemplary standards.

The company offered their inventory as a package to libraries at a
cost of give or take around $3K.

To my recollection this was around the mid to late 70's and
may have begun between 1976-77.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I'm pretty sure that "The Blackhawk Collection" started around 1979. Not sure if that's when the silver boxes started, though. My last purchase directly from BH was early 1979, and I didn't get a silver box.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC