8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Super 8mm cut down films - what should I do before sale and guide prices?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8mm cut down films - what should I do before sale and guide prices?
Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2012 10:13 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of super 8mm cut down films which I am now looking to sell. I haven't watched them for many years but they have been carefully stored and the boxes are in good condition.

However I am aware that prints can fade and suffer from mildew damage (some of my home movies have suffered from this as a box was stored in a damp cupboard - thankfully none of these bought movies were with them).

What checks should I do before sale? Should I project them? Should I only check them on a viewer? Should I clean them?

I don't want to do anything which might damage the films but I don't want to sell them and then the purchaser find they are in a poor condition. Any guidance would be gratefully accepted and I know this forum collectively has the expertise to give me sound advice.

The films I have are:

Star Wars 200ft silent (this does appear to have a vertical scratch just from looking at the leader by eye)

Jaws 200ft sound

Battlestar Galactica 400ft sound

Close Encounters Of The Fourth Kind 400ft sound

Alien 400ft sound

What would be reasonable prices for each of these films assuming they are in good condition?

Thanks again for your help.

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 03:43 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, you can check various dealer websites like Classic Home Cinema and also ebay for what they are selling for. Fade will have a big bearing on cost as will original box condition and any VS.

Good luck

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for responding so quickly. I know this might sound a nasic question but is fade literally that - the image not looking fresh and rich in colours?

At least I have a good starting point, the boxes are in excellent condition (Alien and CEOTTK have plastic soft cases like old style VHS packaging).

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 07:16 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The colour dyes on old Eastman film stock fade at different rates. With the red end of the spectrum being the strongest it is the last one to lose its colour, so faded prints will look pinkish to red depending on the level of fade.
Some Kodak stock can fade to a brownish hue.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ihave had a look at some sections of the film on an editor veiwer and they all have a faint pink hue though it's difficult to judge how bad this is without a reference to compare against.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC