8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » For sale: Alien, Close Encounters, Jaws, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For sale: Alien, Close Encounters, Jaws, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars
Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2012 10:41 AM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just listed some of my super 8 movies on Ebay. All have suffered a degree of fade (they have a pink hue) but the images are otherwise in good condition (apart form Star Wars which has some scratches - full details on the listing)

Alien super 8mm film sound 400ft

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind super 8mm film sound 400ft

Battlestar Galactica super 8mm film sound 400ft

Jaws super 8mm film sound 200ft

Star Wars super 8mm film silent 200ft

If anyone has any questions or would like more photos etc please contact me via these forums or via Ebay. Thanks for looking!

|  IP: Logged

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 06:06 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible today to find these titles unfaded?

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 06:38 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI!jAN,answer to your question yes it,s possible,but not easy,i do my self got these two digests with zero fade yet,it depends of course of the film stock and how the prints have been storage
mine both :alien and close encounters i can,t see it what stock is,and even i don,t screened very often i do clean them every 5 years with film guard i guess this it,s not the formula,but helps alot i do speak from my own expirence,i hope this can help ...

regards:luis caramelo

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, just curious, are all the same level of fade? You use the same exact words for the color content on each film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 03:17 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it possible today to find these titles unfaded?
Jan, previously I have the same doubt with you. But then this forum proves me wrong so I opened a dedicated thread about that here:

Old prints (e.g. Ken Films, Marketing, U-8, UFA, etc) that have held color

Screen shots for two particular titles you mentioned are presented on page 3 (Alien) and 4 (Close Encounters).

So....start hunting now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2012 06:02 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi I did use similar wording for the listings as to my eyes all the prints have faded but the colour palettes of the filsm are so varied it's hard to compare between then and I haven't got experience of other movies to know what film collectors consider excessive fade.

Jaws begins with the beach fire side party sequence which has intentional orange/red colour casts but the underwater sequences which follow still had good blues to my eyes. The opening scenes of Alien inside the empty Nostromo had to my eyes a pronounced hue but again it's lit with coloured lighting and I haven't watched the bootlace version in years so I'm comparing against my Blu Ray copy which isn't a fair comparison.

I have also only viewed the sections I've seen on an editor viewed with a bulb which adds a yellow hue due to its low wattage which further complicates a comparison.

I did consider taking some photos of the projected image but white balance settings could either add a further colour cast or correct the faulty one not to mention the differences in the colour settinsg of different peoples' monitors...

If forum members can offer any advice on how to grade the level of fade I'm happy to take it on board and assess my films again

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2012 05:24 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sold except Close Encounters & Star Wars (thanks!) [Smile]

I've relisted these as below:

Close Encounters

Star Wars

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC