8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » "Psycho" full-feature wanted... I know, I know, get in line... :-D (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Psycho" full-feature wanted... I know, I know, get in line... :-D
Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will trade both of my grandmothers for a shredded, blood-red standard 8mm print of Psycho . Please don't mind that they're both deceased, accept delivery as is. [Eek!]

So if you happen to stumble over such a print, contact me most discretely, we might even settle for some money! [Cool]

PS: anyone know, if there's a super 8mm full-feature of said motion picture?

--------------------
Vinegar belongs in the salad...

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 09:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about now but I'm pretty sure that Super 8 prints were available and may still be. I'd suggest asking CHC if you're willing to pay what would be a substantial sum. Anyone got a S8 print?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 02:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit late now I know but the trailer reel was for sale at Blackpool which accompanied the Standard 8mm feature. Used to have the Std 8 feature myself which was excellent.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Substantial price... guess I'll have to trade my aunts and uncles too :-) anyway, I was lucky concerning the trailer on super 8. It'll be in my hands in a couple of hours...

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 05:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come this very famous movie not available on super 8mm. Where is supply and demand theory?

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the feature available about 5 years ago as a mute print on super 8? I thought I remembered seeing it in THE REEL IMAGE magazine. Or maybe I'm thinking of VERTIGO...

Bill [Confused]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 07:01 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm aware it is still possible to get this film through CHC,
although I can't say on price, but I'd think it will be expensive.
I was very fortunate in buying one secondhand in '72/3 in std 8mm that was a direct print from 35mm and is a lovely print fromDerann.
I got a second copy about 15years ago at one of the Blackpool
conventions which I later made a present of to my late friend
Harry Nadler,but that one was from a 16mm source and not as
good as the copy I have now, again a std 8mm Derann print.
It's still possible that there are feature length prints in std8mm
that can be picked up, and far cheaper than a new S/8 feature.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't get hold of the full length feature, the Universal 8 400ft digest makes an excellent second best. Excellent print quality, and very well edited, it really captures the highlights of the film very well. Splice on the Hitchcock promo trailer for a superb 600 ft reel.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2012 06:14 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a s8 print of it (6*600ft, acetate, sound).
It's a German one.
Still possible to place order to get it via CHC. The only limit: it is possible, now, to get it only striped, with no sound, or in German.
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 21, 2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There you are Ronald, Gian has verified it's still possible to get your
film. It shouldn't be too difficult to have it re recorded into the
language of your choice from DVD, as there are plenty of members
on this very forum would do the job for you, if you hadn't the
means to do it yourself.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2012 07:40 PM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, you're all very involved, I like that. [Cool]

I shall try with CHC, I don't mind german at all, and since my new projector is a duoplay, I shall be able to put the english soundtrack on the other track.

I received the trailer today, but I doubt it's an official release. It's packed in plain cardboard, and there's no logo anywhere. Couldn't even find a stock designation on the film itself (at least not on the first few feet). The picture is pretty bad, out of focus, and gruesomly over-contrasted. It's not black AND white. It's either black OR white. [Eek!] Often the picture will darken or lighten for no reason, and there's a whole hair salon (supposedly on the original it was made from). However, it may be a real rarity, as it does NOT contain the phrase "Mr. Hitchcock would like to take you on a tour" at the beginning, it's just the man standing on the motel parking lot.

Nevertheless,I will cherish it :-)

Thanks again to everybody.

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2012 02:21 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the relative rareness of the Derann PSYCHO,I believe it was a matter of rights,which mustn't have been very clear from the beginning,and that is the same reason for the even rarer INVISIBLE MAN and INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN full length features,which were withdrawn rather quickly and were never issued in super 8.
Regarding the promo (I wouldn't call it a trailer),it was in public domain and everybody issued it. The quality was not perfect from the beginning,so it varies accordingly. Mine comes from Niles and is a good one.I also have a short "teaser" in std 8,less than one minute long,most probably made for tv, which I don't know where it came from.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2012 02:57 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard 8 print of Psycho was a good quality graded print and full length. The Invisible man was indeed a great release, but some of the scenes were graded to light behond viewing pleasure. Have run most of the early Derann prints and they all had this problem. At the time we had no video, dvd or Blu ray. Only a few television channels and they closed at a respectable time with the God save the queen. No allnight viewing. There was a few decent feature prints out from Heritage, Mountain and Walton. In there day it worked to some degree. Now I think that we would sooner forget most of these releases unless you are willing to tolerate the shortfalls.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have 2 of the Std 8 features but my 'spare' one is a battered ex library print so I can't say it's a desirable item. The quality of both is relatively good but would be significantly softer than the Universal 400' release.

Gian - what's the quality of the S8 feature like?

Two of the extended trailer releases were both from Derann. The first was a bit clipped at the start so maybe from the same source as Ronald's but the second wasn't and was quite a nice print. I'd therefore guess that the second Derann version is the best one to track down.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't agree there Colin,I also have "The Invisible Man"together
with the " Ghost of Frankenstein" and both are nicely graded
prints that compare well with the Universal 400's.On some of
the early prints like "Winchester 73" or "Run of the Arrow"
they did tend to have a slight "halo" around a dark outline, that
doesn't happen on the afore mentioned features.The nicest is
the "Psycho" feature which is very fine grained and on careful
consideration put me off buying the S/8 from CHC, as it's as nice
as you'll get.A point no one has mentioned on the 400' edition
is the violin arpeggio's are slightly muted in the final scene and
the print used wasn't too clean.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 06:31 AM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whooa, Adrian, Hugh, you were right about the price,about 600 Pounds (must be roughly 1000$) for a mute super 8 print... I suppose it's adequate (if I get it right, it's newly printed, thus in perfect condition). I'll have to admit that 400$+ prints are - for the time being - out of my reach.This is gonna be an expensive hobby... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 07:11 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ronald,an idea would be to try for a std 8mm feature which
do turn up,or hang on for a secondhand S/8 which I have never
come across.If you can show 16mm,the feature was for sale a
few months ago,and was cheaper than a new S/8, which to be
honest is ridiculous in cost, plus the expense of redubbing will
be a very expensive print.It would be cheaper to buy one on 16mm and a projector than to get the S/8 print.Funnily enough
the second copy I obtained at Blackpool, I got from a group of
lads from Germany who had a table at the time selling films,
the price was £50.00,the reason I got it was to replace a missing section at the end of a reel of about two minutes in my
own copy and the difference in picture quality is noticable. I do
hope you find one, as they are not as rare as you think.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 07:05 AM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I guess I'll keep myself patient for a secondhand print, either std8 or s8. I've never thought about 16mm, I was under the impression that it's much more expensive...

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I have read an article about "Psycho" in Deranns "Film for Collector" magazin #38 (from 1997) on page 4 from Derek Simmonds:

"Henderson had a machine that would reduce 35mm straight down to standard 8, so they used the 35mm interneg to produce standard 8 positve prints. In theory, the standard 8 prints would have the same quality as 35mm! If only we had had the GS1200 to screen them on in those far off days-the picture quality would have been as good as, if not better than, today`s Disney prints."

It is very interesting, I am very curious about the print quality of the old Standard 8 prints.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer, how are you? Hope all is fine there.
Guys, don't have any idea about standard 8mm prints; never had any.

Adrian, hi there! The German issue is a very good one.
The master material (a 35mm positive) is the 1984 re-release.
Good contrast, even if slightly dark; full frame as it was originally filmed (but, like other German prints, some sequences are letterboxed for all reasons we know so well about); some missing frames, but nothing that bad.

Posting some screen captures from the print I actually have in my collection. The box is not original, of course: it was made expecially for me (Italian artwork. The title was mantained and not translated. But, as you can notice, it is PSYCO without any 'h').

Hope it will help. Ciao!

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 24, 2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer,it's one of those prints that I have,and the print is very
good. Derek did print from another source, being 16mm,I did have
one of these copies but passed it on, the print was a lot grainier.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 06:26 PM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print looks marvelous, Gian Luca, quite sharp!

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 06:51 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard 8 prints were before I started. Went into straight super 8. I always thought that the features were rental only [Big Grin] Must say would like a copy. Have 'North By Northwest' feature and 'The Birds' from Universal 8 and 'The 39 Steps' feature from P.M. Films 4x 400ft not too much cut-out. Oh that stocking scene [Smile]

Need time machine and old fiver's to buy them.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ronald [Wink] .

David, about THE BIRDS did you mean the full feature?

--------------------

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2012 07:11 PM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, did you mean full feature of "The Birds"? I need to make more money...

Gian Luca, that box for the "Psyco" print looks just as great as the print...

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC