8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » At what price would you sell Alien? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: At what price would you sell Alien?
Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, IMHO: "Alien" is a much better film than "Aliens": that's an as smart director as R. Scott vs an honest/fair director as James Cameron: the latter's film is spectacular but the former's is amazing when it comes to the cumbersome, wary and dismal atmosphere he conveys to the audience. So, from a cinema-(not film) buff standpoint "Alien" is a "must have". As for print quality, though I've never seen the DFS print of "Aliens", I bought their print of Scott's film in 1997 and still have it: one of the sharpest and most colourful prints I own; apparently the master material was struck from a positive (in fact it tends to be a little too contrasty with a very slight bluish cast, but just a tad); and rock-steady too. Simply awesome and in my opinion the only Derann release that might be judged better than this one is "Who Framed Riger Rabbit".
As for the question in this thread I really can't figure out what I'd ask for, if (and only IF) I were to sell it; I simply can't fancy selling it, for all the reasons I stated.

Good luck for your search.

--------------------
Maurizio

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's my opinion too, Ridley's masterpiece has the suspense, though Cameron's has more action. I love the feeling I get from watching Alien. I do understand you, I wouldn't have sold it either, but I hoped someone who didn't love Alien as much as I wanted to get some money instead ;-)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 12:23 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar don't worry, someone will,they always do.I shall keep a
weather eye on the sites, and if one turns up I'll let you know.
It's usually the way,when you're looking, it isn't to be found, as
soon as you take your eye off the ball, one turns up, they always do.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super ... Thank you and again I must say, this group is great and very helpful. None of the "big" guys have them anyway, but I won't give up hope this quick. How long has Osi been looking for that Grizzly Adams film?

Appreciated

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Not long enough.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 10:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out the eBay 'Aliens' listing and must say it looks as good as anyone could hope to get. BUT I'd find it offputting that the edges are cropped to make it full frame, unlike the S8 print.

I should resist getting into an 'Alien' v 'Aliens' debate, but since it has been raised, I personally feel that 'Aliens' has the edge. Not specifically because of the amount of action, although it's exceptional action, but also because it has more likeable characters and great emotional resonance, particularly due to Ripley 'adopting' Newt. And much as I like the Derann 'Alien' print, it's not quite as good as my 'Aiens'. Screening this at home for my horror associates was a memorable occasion; the first time there was a sense of the audience simply watching 'the film' as opposed to watching an 8mm version of it.

[ January 24, 2013, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 04:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Aliens [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 05:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hate to disagree, but I will, "Alien" was a good film,many
of the situations were borrowed from other films, such as "It, The
Terror From Beyond Space" & "Planet of The Vampires", with it's
creepy planet,giant dead aliens which was used to better effect
and far less budget."Aliens" on the other hand was a typical
shoot 'em up,I thought the characters the most dislikeable bunch
ever assembled, and couldn't wait for their inevitable demise.
Both films play on the shock effect,both are well made, and I
would find it difficult to choose between them as they both
have merit.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for "THE ROSE" ! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Winbert

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2013 11:22 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I own Alien 1 -3 on film. Alien and Aliens on Super 8 full feature releases by Derann. Both prints are very good an I tell you I will never sell these prints.

Alien 3 was not so good as the previous films, but still viewable. It is a 16mm print in CS with good sharpness and nice colours.

So all three films make a good triple presentation.

Ralf

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 11:55 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can appreciate "Alien" I liked "Aliens" more and find it more repeatable. I used to own "Alien" on Super 8 but found it a little slow. And I saw it in the theaters when it was released.
Just before I moved it on I remember watching it amd only putting on the reels that I liked. And I also remember it being not that sharp. For a truly Sharp Scope print.."Titanic" is the best I have ever seen. But everytime I see a post like this I think.."I wish I had it again". We always want what we don't have..and what we use to have! [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, still searching for "GRIZZLY" [Smile]

The "Alien" print is outstanding. Another case of as good as the 16MM prints that I have seen of it, (only seen one actually, many years ago, not side by side mind you, but I remembered), and, in the case of my print of "Alien", It doesn't appear to have a bluish cast to it. Is yours on AGFA or LPP?

I personally like the slower pace of "Alien", almost lyrical and poetic in a manner. Thankfully, Scott captured much of the feel of "Alien" is the "prequel" "Prometheus" (I bet I spelled that wrong).

With "Alien", the slow pace allows me to "feel" the environment around the film in a much more personal way. Though I won't deny that "Aliens" is a great film, it is so noisy as a general rule, that it actually keeps me at a certian distance. I can hear all the "ambient noise" happening around the situations.

Did I make sense or just confuse people?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2013 01:54 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vidar if you can't find the feature just get a digest 400 reel . Only just try to get a Low Fade [Wink]  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi, just kidding about your long search for "Grizzly".

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 24, 2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:-) Already bougth a digest, love this film and want the complete feature.

Not sure how I know if it's low fade. It's looking decent, some german release, with english sound. Cover is german

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew tyou were kidding and I'm STILL looking, (probably be asking people once I'm in the "pearly gates" ...

"Hey anybody got a copy of "Grizzly"?

... hear a booming voice say ...

"GET OVER IT OSI!!!!"

[Big Grin]

I must say, I wish I had never parted with my ALIEN digest as well. It wasn't low fade, but a very good eastman copy. It was a very good digest with good flow for this kind of slow paced film and I liked how it ended, right after the mother ship explodes, she says, "I got you ..." and the THE END titles!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC