8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Psycho Standard 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Psycho Standard 8
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2013 07:06 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This must a very rare title: Psycho on Standard 8 film. Would think not many were printed due to it hire only I think? Psycho Not My sale

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 26, 2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually David, it isn't that rare, these prints were for sale from
Derann at a cost of £27.50 in the early '70s, so there will be a
few about. The first run was taken from 35mm,the print I have,
the later ones were from a 16mm source, the one I had. The seller
here assumes he has a 35mm reduction,but doesn't know for sure
another case of someone buying "a pig in a poke" and there might
be disappointment for some poor soul i think.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 03:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David you will pick up the full feature at a UK film fair for around £40. I sold my spare copy at my own April film fair for just that. As Hugh mentions it turns up quite a bit as there were plenty of prints made of it. Quite a good standard 8 print as well as were The Invisible Man and many others.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 04:30 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the first time I had ever seen 'Psycho' for sale, I always though that they were hire only and in limit numbers. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy at the next film convention. I would also like 'The Invisible Man' I only have couple of standard 8 prints on 200ft reels, so never bothered with a projector, yet.

Although if 'The Invisible Man' gets an update on dvd or whatever. The end where the Invisible man is walking in the snow, that's ideal for inserting new cgi of bare feet [Eek!]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 04:48 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although if 'The Invisible Man' gets an update on dvd or whatever. The end where the Invisible man is walking in the snow, that's ideal for inserting new cgi of bare feet
It's just been remastered and restored and released on Blu Ray in the Universal Monsters set.
CGI??? You gotta be kidding! Post that over on the Classic Monsters site and see what they think.
[Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
While they're doing that Michael, they can start on some of the more blatant gaffs in modern movies, like the plastic bottle of
water left on the window sill in"Sweeney Todd", or the Enigma
machine that was acquired in World War 2 in "U571", which we
had already got before the US entered the war, a full film was
based on that one, The "Raiders" films are full of them,
one referred to Iraq, which at the time was Mesopotamia, the list
is endless,especially modern film where there is no excuse.

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 05:23 AM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very keen on that Psycho print, but not at that price, with that lack of information. I've never been to a film fair, but I suppose it's really worthwhile. Which one's are unavoidable in Europe?

--------------------
Vinegar belongs in the salad...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,
They can do whatever the blazes they like with Raiders, Sweeney Todd, Star Wars, or any of that crap...but leave the classics alone.

[Big Grin]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 01:05 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tongue was very firmly in my cheek with the cgi for 'Invisible Man' I was going to buy 'The Devil Rides Out' Blu-ray but they have messed with it so, lost sale.

Why do they keep doing it. If they kept the original on the dvd/blu-ray its not too bad, but to mess with them p**s me off.

I love watching the old classics and not so classic films. Please don't mess with them, or at least put the original on too.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievable what they did with Devil Rides Out. The thing is, it's made many wary of buying new Hammer Blu releases at the moment.

Baudime Jam
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Baudime Jam   Author's Homepage   Email Baudime Jam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHC offers to print Psycho on b/w stock in super 8 at about 600 euros, with German sound.

I am trying to know if they could make it with the original English sound and titles...

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 03:19 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all this Psycho inflation going on, a 16mm print went for 1.000 USD on Ebay a couple of days ago, I am inclined to revisit my 8mm print pretty soon. First I need to get my Eumig up to speed again and then I will make some screenshots.
I also have Psycho on blu ray and although I am supposed to say that it looks gorgeous, which it does, it bothers me because this movie never looked like the way it does on blu ray, with it's smooth deep blacks, modern style gray scale and razor sharp definition. Every single incarnation of this film before its appearance on blu ray, always had this murky and atmospheric quality that is absent from this squeaky clean high def rendition.
It's like in the early days of CD when you first bought your favorite album on CD and you suddenly noticed all those little details you had never heard before, until some day you noticed something missing: the music.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Alexander on the points you make. A few years ago I had the opportunity to see a 35mm print of Psycho at a special screening in Dayton Ohio with Steve Osborne (of the REEL IMAGE). It was like seeing it for the first time, even though I have seen it many times. It was awesome! Before the feature they showed the classic Warner Bros. cartoon "What's Opera Doc?"

-

I didn't realize that you could obtain the standard 8 print at such a good price in the UK. One of these days I'll have one!

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you gentlemen, it is all part of the charm of
the older films, in a way it's almost like the end line of dialogue
in many a horror film "some things are best left alone" cue titles.
It's these little nuances that help give the films their patina, the
stagey sound effects on the Universals, or the villagers with
cockney accents in the Hammers,it's all part of the magic.
Unfortunately everything is "dated" or inferior if it isn't "digitised"
as if digital is the new religion, well I for one am happy to remain a film heretic, I LIKE scratches on the master material,
I like to see the strings on Gerry Andersons' puppets and I like
my sweets out of glass jars, NOT bloody flow wrapped so that
I don;t know what the hell I'm eating! It seems if someone
hasn't buggered about with a loved film, it isn't worth watching.
I remember the first time I saw "Psycho" when about 14 years
old, and came out of the cinema with hair like Jimi Hendrix, and
that was plain ol' b/w 35mm.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 02:59 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What strings on 'Thunderbirds' because they had good stories to them your imagination soon blocked them out. Or are you on about the one from a couple of years age with the wooden actors in it [Big Grin]

"Its Alive", film with its scratches all adds to the atmosphere, I do feel that digital is much too clinical.

Thinking back I remember at the cinema seeing the cue mark for reel changes, turning round to watch the light change from one porthole to the other, that was part of the magic.

The magic lives on through us all here.

--------------------

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 04:06 AM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree, it's the (few) scratches, the (little blotches) and the occasional line or splice, the cue marks and the very, very slight warm picture that makes for the fun, and the feeling of owning something delicate and precious. And the individuality of a print, every print is different, personal, unlike a digital format. If the BluRay is scratched, you shrugg and get another one with the cat food. If a Predator scope print is eaten by your projector you'll tear the house down. [Big Grin]
I recently watched a restored HD version of "The Love Bug" on TV. Herbie looked astonishingly shiny and clean, almost epic. But it definitely took some charm, may it be of a nostalgic nature. No cue marks...

--------------------
Vinegar belongs in the salad...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 28, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to see any screenshots from any of you from the Standard 8 print. Any chance?

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 01:39 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That PSYCHO print may not be rare, but that didn't keep it from closing at £200.00.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 03:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always Timothy it all depends of how desperate someone is to obtain something, but as I age I’ve learned it’s often better to hang, be patient and put more important things on the front burner. Remember the age of these old Standard (regular) 8 acetate films which will be well on the road in the shrinking direction, maybe even vinegar land.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I agree. That price is pretty rich for my blood, especially for a film that's not been viewed before selling.

Baudime Jam
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 05:28 PM      Profile for Baudime Jam   Author's Homepage   Email Baudime Jam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...if anyone has a super-8 print of Psycho for sale, I am interested !
But only with English sound and titles - and magnetic sound.
Thank you

Here is something on ebay ... which is not the feature, unfortunately.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC