8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Amityville Horror

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amityville Horror
Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2013 04:37 PM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
Today I screened my latest Super 8 purchase Amityville Horror Selected Scenes and to my suprise ( and horror ) I discovered that some clown apparantly has added a custom soundtrack on top of the originial sound!?! Is this possible?

Question number one, is it possible to remove this custom sound without deleting the original sound?

Question number two, does anyone like to trade this copy for something else ( the quality and color of the print is great ).

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2013 06:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is called "sound on sound" recording. Some projectors have this feature by turning a knob to balance the original vs the new sound.

You cannot remove the added sound other than re-record with new sound.

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it possible that it was recorded on the balance track and the original is still there on the main track?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 03, 2013 10:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always interested in customising sound tracks.
Last year I started re-processing vintage mono tracks into stereo. More recently I did a stereo rework of Karloff in Black Room and loaned the print out to a number of films collectors for feedback. It’s another fun way to expand our hobby if done well and the stereo can be awesome.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim that can happen if Jan was using a stereo projector or twin track projector. But he used a mono projector that might not be possible.

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 02:24 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a stereo projector, an Eumig s 926 GL, what is the balance track?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 03:03 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what is the balance track?
Originally it was just used to keep the film level on the reel, hence the name 'balance track'. This was on the sprocket side. Most films releases had this track, although Walton Films in the UK at one time didn't put one on. This caused collectors to complain. It soon reappeared.

-
If you look at the third film down you can just see both the main & balance track.

It was of course not originally used for sound, but the enterprising manufactures used it for twin track sound & stereo.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 08:03 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the "customized" version is recorded on the main track (1) using the "sound on sound" feature ("trick" on the Eumig S926), you can only do two things:
1 - find another print
2 - do a new sound transfer on this print, even if this entails re-editing of the original sound source (typically a DVD), being a digest. YYou have to use an NLE. A little time-consuming process but certainly doable.

--------------------
Maurizio

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 09:23 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, if you're using a stereo projector, it should be easy to check the film with the sound controls set to only picking up main stripe sound.

Anyone 'customising' existing sound with superimposed sound was obviously taking a chance as if they made a mistake, there was little they could do to fix it. The only serious attempt at this I have heard is a foreign Godzilla 400' to which someone added some English narration.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 04:17 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone!
I will check this as soon as I get the time.

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 05:53 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,

I was happy to discover the customized track was only recorded on one track and this discovery resulted in a much appreciated screening last friday night.
/jan.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC