8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted : Wallace & Gromit-A grand day out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted : Wallace & Gromit-A grand day out
Alex Garcia
Junior

- posted December 27, 2013 09:22 AM      Profile for Alex Garcia   Email Alex Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a long time looking for this title edited by Derann. Does anyone have this copy to sell? , I am very interested in purchasing this title ...

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may be a hard find. It was released but only a few prints made as, from what I understand, they almost immediately had an insurmountable problem with the negative, (ex Derann employees could potentially make that clear), but the prints that made it were top notch!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2013 03:36 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

The reason for the low prints is the BBC got involved!!!

Graham S

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2013 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really doubt there are as many as 20 prints total. There were two test prints and a run of six. After that it's anybody's guess: all theory and rumor. It did show up a few times on the Derann used lists back in the day.

So strange: a few years ago there was one on E-bay. I thought as rare as it was there would be a battle for it and I stood back to watch. The first time it didn't even make it up to the reserve price. The second time it sold barely above the original retail price it sold for before the run was canceled and it became rare.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 06:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a few more prints about than at first expected, a few more did sneak out.

The first run of things were usually 30, so I`d guess maybe 20-30. A few did pop up for a while but they are real keepers.

Its such a shame it did`nt work out as they would of sold stacks of all 3 made up until then I`m sure.

We have the 4, 1/2 hour ones, 3 on one dvd, the 4th single on dvd. You can get the 4 on one Blu Ray but I held off as sometimes BR just highlights imperfections and the dvd prints look lovely on the TV or VP.

Hope you find a real print.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Mark has hinted, there appear to be a few more in circulation than might be imagined. There was talk of a few prints with a very slight 'fault' that meant that anyone buying one needed to remove a few black frames. It would be interesting to know if anyone had one of these. Some time after it was withdrawn, I bought one off a Derann used films list and - amazingly - it looked just like a brand new, never projected print!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2013 08:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. For a rare and highly desirable print it was very active on the used lists: two, maybe three times that I noticed, and selling for the price as new too.

There may even be ultra rare test prints of "The Wrong Trousers" and perhaps "A Close Shave" in existence because Derann was getting ready to release all three when everything came to a stop.

"The Wrong Trousers" would have been worth it for the model railway chase scene alone!

--------------------

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a print off Ebay for a buy-it-now price a few years ago.
My son and I are big fans so we run this a lot.
There is a light scratch throughout but doesn't appear on screen if you filmguard before projection. Otherwise a beautiful print.
Since my film collection is mostly low budget stuff, it's nice to have at least one desirable title!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2013 02:05 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been said that Derann got a very big telling off from the large media orginisation already mentioned, but Derann were allowed to keep/sell any remaining prints. Not sure exactly what happened but it dosent look like any prints were confiscated or destroyed.

Adrian,
I remember a number of years ago at a BFCC the Derann stall had a copy for £60 but it had a lab splice in it so I left it. Later that day it was gone so someone had bought it.

Some time later I also saw a copy for about £60 on Derann's used list. I was very surprised it had'nt gone already and I bought it. When it arrived it too was like a brand new film never projected. Even the box and sticker was new. Now it's quite possible that we both bought from the same used list and mabye Derann had several brand new copies left to sell. By placing them on the 'Used Film' list they could be classed as second hand even though they clearly were not, and escaping any further trouble.

Ive often felt there mabye is upto 50 copies around as this title is not as rare as we originally thought, but I havent seen any copies for sale for quite a while so its getting harder to find.

Graham S

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2013 06:38 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one and it's really an excellent print: pin sharp with stunning colours. Only drawback: the paste stripe is the darker one, giwing not very goog performance (low output and dropouts throughout). But I can screen it with the sound from an external source... Good luck searching!

--------------------
Maurizio

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 29, 2013 07:01 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they could be classed as second hand even though they clearly were not, and escaping any further trouble.
This may be out of topic, but the law does not say so.... [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 29, 2013 08:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very often the bottom line in Law is "Prove it".

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 30, 2013 02:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot sell a greyhound bus through second hand listing, if you are not a greyhound owner or at least greyhound employees. So no need to "prove it", it's clear you don't own it....if you know what I mean [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC