8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking for Optical Sound Prints

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for Optical Sound Prints
Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 06:41 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting to collect optical sound features. Looking to see if anyone on here has any features for sale. Looking for low-fade prints from the 80s and newer. Action and sci-fi films mostly. But email me, you may have something I must own!

onedelorean@yahoo.com

Films I definitely want to find:
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
White Fang
Harry and the Hendersons
Home Alone
ET
Empire of the Sun
Jurassic Park
Back to the future
Gremlins
Crocodile Dundee

Not sure if any of these exist as optical features but worth a try.

[ May 20, 2014, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Adam Deierling ]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adam,
I haven't got any optical prints yet as the ones l have come across have been faded but l must get a couple to try all the same.
Anyway Paul Foster in the UK has some optical prints for sale including Crocodile Dundee if you look on his web site mate.

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 10:18 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adam - I sent you two PM's

Ray

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi paul foster has some on his list and classic home cinema does too

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam ...

I'm pretty sure that "Jurrasic Park" and "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" were never printed as Super 8 optical sound.

The last year in the U.S. was 1987. A few 1988 releases, however, did make it onto super 8 optical sound as well. "Stand and Deliver" (which I have) is listed, depending on which movie reviewing book you look at, in either 87 or 88, so that's why I say 88 for the possible cut off year.

HOWEVER ...

I have heard rumored many years ago, that "The Hunt For Red October" was actually a super 8 optical sound feature, as Japan printed super 8 optical sound for a year or two longer, but bear in mind that this is just speculation.

From what I have been able to surmise, Super 8 optical sound first begain in 1967, as that is the earliest year that I have found a great number of releases (Jungle Book, Point Blank ect) on optical sound.

This doesn't include, however, those films that were popular before 1967 that were occasionally re-released and therefore, found they're way onto super 8 optical, such as "Never So Few" (re-released because of Steve McQueens popularity) and other classics.

However, super 8, even as a film gauge didn't come out until ...

folks, what was that first year for super 8 film stock?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 21, 2014 12:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Dominique

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 01:54 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi! That will narrow my search a bit. Doesn't do much good to hunt for films that don't exist! I know I can get them in Magnetic and even new from TRI, but frankly they are just too expensive. Even the used ones are sometimes just too much money...Not that they are not worth it, but more than I can afford sadly...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 22, 2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique! I thought it was somewhere around there! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC