8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Want to buy or trade for Speed and/or Die Hard 3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to buy or trade for Speed and/or Die Hard 3
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 30, 2014 11:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a souped up Beaulieu 708EL projector with 2000 watt xenon lamphouse and I've got a full "cinema dts" system and all of the equipment needed to add timecode to these two titles...and I want to do it even if it ends up mostly being done as proof of concept.

These are the only 2 titles I can do this with, so if there is anyone out there with prints, please do let me know. I have mint copies of Aliens and Toy Story for trade or I will outright purchase the print. Once it's done I'll upload a video to youtube for long term posterity.

Anyone???

bmiller@film-tech.com

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 03:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much look forward to the outcome Brad. Sounds fantastic!!
What is the reason why it has to be these two titles only?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because Brad has DTS decoded discs for these two titles only...

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 09:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but a DTS soundtrack is readily available for Brads other films on Blu Ray or DVD isn't it, or am I missing something maybe?

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blu-ray & DVD have compressed tracks. Brad probably has the full DTS discs shown in theaters. I had part of the Die Hard 3 some time ago but sold it.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Larry, didn't realize that the Blu Ray soundtracks contain compressed audio. They sound fantastic then considering they are compressed.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought DTS Master Audio was raw data and not compressed?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 02:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit Vidar, I was suprised to hear that Blu Ray audio would be compressed, especially given the the amount of data these discs can store.

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 31, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Compressed or not that doesn't matter. This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any sort of consumer home video format. What is required:

A 35mm print with the specific timecode for a given title with no splices or missing frames.

A Super8 print of the same title. Frames CAN be missing from this copy.

The theatrical cinema dts discs for this title.

Those are the only two features released in dts (meaning in theaters...forget this DVD/bluray talk) that I have prints and discs to that I could make this happen. That's why it HAS to be those 2 titles.

Remember, I'm talking real honest to goodness dts as used in cinemas here. NOT the home video formats of the same name. Think of it this way...when there is some kid talking about the "new film I shot", he thinks it is a film, but in reality he shot a video. This is similar. Any form of dts or Dolby Digital sound outside of the 35mm and 70mm world is sort of like calling a video a "film".

I'm looking to add Super8mm to that list for real cinema dts sound even if it is just one movie, just so it can go down in the books as Super8mm officially being able to support cinema dts audio.

By the way here are some pics of a system I built in the 90s to put a 1000 watt xenon lamphouse behind a 16mm projector. I don't have any pictures of my Beaulieu 708 setup, but I assure you it looks absolutely magnificent with the 2000 watt xenon lamphouse behind it. The image is nothing short of stunning. The takeup reel is on a separate box off to the side since the film must exit the projector in front just like on this 16mm Pageant projector. (The external lamphouse is blocking the normal takeup path.)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 04:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks for the detailed explanation Brad. It all makes sense now to me. I would love to see photos of the modified Beaulieu in action if you ever get chance to get any [Smile]

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 31, 2014 08:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever find a Speed or Die Hard 3 print, I'll put video on youtube of the entire thing running.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 03, 2014 02:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much look forward to it Brad. I too would love to find those two prints you mentioned. I have the first Die Hard but not two or three sadly.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 04, 2014 03:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad I remember a long-long time ago, you have also told us about the same experiment:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=1;t=000192;go=older

Gooosh...it has been 11 years ago...so you are still not able to find the reel? I wish you can get it now and explain the result here.

(ps: I have actually had a wild idea to record the time code vinyl to magnetic track and later play the sound through digital CD with Virtual DJ machine that is now so popular among the DJs)

--------------------
Winbert

Ronald Kwiatkowski
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2014 05:34 AM      Profile for Ronald Kwiatkowski   Email Ronald Kwiatkowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahmmmmm, there was a Die Hard3 on sale in Paris a couple of weeks ago... and I bought it :-) haven't watched it yet, as I'm waiting for modifications on my Elmo GS-1200. I'm just mentioning it, because I might be inclined to trade or sell somewhat later in the year, if you've not been able to get hold of it by then. But I wanna watch it a couple of times first :-) just so you know...

--------------------
Vinegar belongs in the salad...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 04, 2014 06:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ronald. Let me know the condition after you screen it and if you're interested in selling or trading.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 04, 2014 06:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kudos to Brad for entering all new territory with super 8. An intruiging experiment indeed and definately one for the S8 history books if it works.
As for that 2,000 watt Beaulieu, all I can say is WOW!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it may work, but what about this as an alternative:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sync-Digital-Sound-to-Your-16mm-Film-Projector/

Should work well with super 8, bit less of a novelty though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 05, 2014 04:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't be as graceful as a real cinema dts. With cinema dts, I could literally go backwards and forward, have a film jam and lose part of the print, etc and the dts would continue to dead-track it.

Also unfortunately for the case of other prints, this software can only do 2 channel stereo.

Doing it the way I want to do it would literally be bringing the Super 8 format up to the pro cinema level.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 05, 2014 07:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse my ignorance - I understand the basic principle of DTS and how it syncs to a 35mm print - but what I don't understand here is the exact role of the 35mm print in this particular project, and what will cause the DTS and the Super 8 print to 'connect'? Many thanks for any brief explanation!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2014 03:26 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the timecode replace the soundtrack on super 8?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 06, 2014 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
David's got it. Track 2 would be timecode. Track 1 would be mono mag backup.

The 35mm print is to obtain the unique timecode off of.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad I have a copy of speed. I sent you an email.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC