8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Paul Foster Films website update (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Paul Foster Films website update
Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what an excellent post Maurizio. you have hit the nail right on the head.

|  IP: Logged

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rarest Super 8 copies are ALL from Paul Foster and, among them, I mention CLOSE ENCOUNTERS for all, so I cannot be other than grateful to him during all the past years!
Never had a problem with all the movies I bought!

This is my personal experience...
[Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2014 01:31 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a few 35mm Disney films from Paul and they were absolutely stunning quality. I would definitely recommend and use him in the future. Just my experience and opinion.

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the world got no order any more?
This isn't a multi-national. This is one person trading films.
I've had good and bad films from Paul. The good were excellent, the bad were bad. Like any good retailer, I told him the problem and we arranged a solution. I don't know Paul as anything but a film dealer who offers clearly priced titles and fair return policy, so thanks Paul, I've enjoyed some great films from you and look forward to buying again soon!

--------------------
Ron

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 07:40 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on my experience, I have to disagree. Of course it was just once, but because of that kind of experience, there is not going to be another one. The fact he is not a multi national is a no-issue: in fact this is even truer of a forum member who, not long ago, was heavily questioned about cored prints: if the same degree of precision were to be applied to this case, then this post would be much longer than 3 pages. We have to stick to facts which can be summed up as follows:

a) this specific seller has excellent track records, but

b) in one or two cases, he happened to screw it up

c) almost nobody seems to care and

d) I won't either (at least no longer), but...

e) what the majority of the posters here have shown is not very pleasant as I already pointed out.

Mmm... Was it John Ruskin who claimed that even minorities' ideas have to be foster-ed?

--------------------
Maurizio

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 07:57 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in my opinion this could have been sorted out very easily all that had to be done was to issue mr barker with a full refund for the film he bought of paul foster .dispute finished that's what I would have done if a customer was not happy

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what about me??? [Mad]

--------------------
Maurizio

Metin Ergul
Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2014 04:53 AM      Profile for Metin Ergul   Email Metin Ergul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends...friends;

Mr. Paul is one of us who serve in our hobby.
We sell to many years of enjoyable films.
We need Mr.Paul.

Please do not write anything to hurt her.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Metin.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 16, 2014 06:34 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, "selfishness"?
I'm not at all saying no one should be negative simply because he does lists,
I've had a film or two I have to return to him, I've also had films I've had to return to Derann, Perry's, CHC & Indi 8 and in all cases I've lost the postage on returns with exception of Derann only if they considered the film was at fault.
All I was saying was Paul is simply updating his list and has let the forum know, nothing more nothing less.
If anyone has bad experiences let it be known at the time and not many moons later. I'll be the first to say yep, if you have an exceptional bad experience let us know.
Half the problem for all dealers is they rely heavily on what people tell them about films they get from people, unless they project in full every film they have to sell I don't think they would get a list out.
If I sold our entire collection off 300 films plus to any dealer are they really going to view every single film? I don't think so.
[Wink] [Wink]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Tom just about sums things up, we've all probably had a bad film experience over the years it happens and yes things should be resolved between the two parties, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark and Tom...! I did try to solve the problem "between the parts": he didn't even bother to reply my last email (July 12th 2014). I understand those who had good experiences want to let others know! But you cannot expect me to change my opinion (based on matter of fact). You can defend him forever but this will not change this fact: in some cases he screwed things up. I hope for him and for fellow(?) collectors he will never again behave like that. But in the past he did. I have been waiting so long for his reply to my latest email that I had forgotten about this, that's why I didn't bring this up earlier (and after all that's just 2 moons ago!!!). Honestly I have better things to do. And apparently he too, since he has never bothered to say anything about this matter (another 'fine' example of good seller to customer relationship). In fact he shouldn't have posted that list in the first place: see point 10 under section "Rules and Policies"

Here's an excerpt:
UNACCEPTABLE:
If you are just advertising your normal line of goods, this is not the place for you. Go away.
If you are discontinuing something from your normal line of goods, posting a note here stating "we are almost sold out" will be deleted.
If your post says something such as "contact us for a catalog", just turn around right now.
Also, website links are not permitted in this category. If you have something to sell, sell it; do not redirect to an external source.
Etc...

Yes, that's selfishness, because several members overlooked my points almost with scorn, as if I never gave sound information and suggestions, as if I still should prove MY reliability which nobody should be able to question, after so many years. And you Tom are one of those: days ago I asked you to elaborate a statement of yours according to which sound heads wear out faster if a projector is mainly used for recording: you've never explained why!!! Thanx for the consideration...

But the worst thing for me is the forum has taken a stance which is undeniable, in favour of this busineessman as opposed to a private individual (me) who got (almost) no solidarity. And you guys are still insisting I am wrong?!!! No way! Those who don't want to see the reality and don't want to hear uncomfortable things are wrong. And maybe some of you might benefit from reading my first posts in this thread more carefully. Please remember:

"Freedom is the right to say things other people don't want to hear" (George Orwell)

"Dirty laundry must be washed within one's own household" (Giulio Andreotti, Italian statesman charged with mafia accusations, commenting on his dislike of neo-realism in Italian cinema).

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2014 08:34 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've purchased a few films from Paul over the years and I have always been pleased with both the films and the excellent service that I have received from him. Dealers like Paul, Ian, Barry and Phil help to keep this hobby alive. I don't go to conventions because I just don't have the free time due to work and family commitments, but I certainly would not want eBay to be the only source of used films for me. Also please remember that because the dealers are businesses they have to add VAT as well as try to make a living from the profits of the film sales, so they have to be a little more expensive.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio. once again you have spoken so fairly and honestly. but yet again the selfishness of so many on this forum has come through in their replies.sadly they just dont want to know of your or my experience. they are only concerned about themselves. as i have said before. THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 16, 2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, seriously, its not selfishness at all, I fully agree with what Maurizio has said and wont defend any poor service from any company, all I'm trying to say is perhaps if it occurs then that's the time to bring it to light. Paul Foster hasn't come on here offering anything other than to invite all who's reading to look at his list, he's not selling any particular film, he's simply informing us of his website update, for those who don't want to look at it simply don't. BUT, as I say , I don't defend any poor customer services but i do try to support where possible dealers who continue to offer sales lists, [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 16, 2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I have every reason to believe what you are talking about with respect to your experiences with Paul. For me the problems are I wasn't there to see it, I don't know Paul's side of it, I don't know what other circumstances occurred which made things go wrong and based on many transactions I've had with Paul I don't believe these problems represent a typical day dealing with him.

I'll grant you If I heard these things before I ever dealt with the guy I might feel a little reluctant to buy from him, but my own experience tells me he's a seller I want to associate with.

That doesn't make the rest of us either blind or selfish, just confident in our own judgment based on our personal experiences.

You have a right to your own choices, and so do the rest of us. If it comes to it, you even have a right to "I told you so!" later on if the rest of us start having trouble too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 16, 2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2014 05:01 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re viewing of films I have over 1000 films in my collection .and its very hard to view them all I have over 800 films which are all logged and no every detail re the film.the other 200 which I sell and buy in are all viewed my myself or I use an ex projectionist to view them for me and he gives me a very detailed description of the films in fact all the films I buy in he screens them all due to me not having as mush times as I would like to

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC