8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking for UPA Cartoons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for UPA Cartoons
Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2014 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for UPA sound cartoons. Please let me know if you have any you'd like to sell.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 09, 2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful Mark, as nearly all of these were printed on varying degrees on non low fade Eastman stock.

The only truly good quality (with decent stock) prints of UPA are two Magoo CINEMASCOPE cartoons (you'll need a lense for them) and they are ....

Magoo Goes Overboard
Magoo Beats the Heat

and, though I've never seen it, also ...

When Magoo Flew

these were released by "Cineavision" and the prints are top notch and though they were printed on Kodak SP and another form of Eastman (not LPP), the color has held up extremely well!

All the other UPA cartoons were released by Columbia Pictures (unless there were some released by others) and these tend to be faded, and grainier than most cartoon prints. Really, not doing justice to these fine films.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2014 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Osi. This is very helpful. I'll keep a look out for the Magoo titles you mention.

Best,
Mark

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2014 05:30 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally agree with Osi but I have one question.Was WHEN MAGOO FLEW, which is the first Magoo in Cinemascope,released in scope in 8 mm? I do have a flat copy but I would like a widescreen one. I also have the fourth Gerald Mc Boeing Boeing,GERALD ON PLANET MOO,also a scope film,in a masked,top and bottom,copy from Top Film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only heard that it was also a Cineavision release as well, (referring to "When Magoo Flew"), but since I have never seen a copy myself, and I do not have an official list from back then when Cineavision was open for business, I only have the word of fellow collectors who have mentioned it.

I wish I could be more precise on that.

I have ran into decent copies of "Gerald Mc Boing Boing" and do have a very good color copy of this, but on standard 8mm sound, but having no standard 8mm projector at this time, kind of annoying.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,go find one,it's not so difficult!!!!! [Razz]
I am glad I have all four Mc Boeing Boeings
GERALD Mc BOEING BOEING
GERALD Mc BOEING BOEING'S SYMPHONY
H0W NOW Mc BOEING BOEING
GERALD ON PLANET MOO
(oh boy,I feel dizzy.Too many Boeing Boeings!!!!!!!)
Looks like UPA got dizzy too,so,the last title mentions only Gerald and not Mc Boeing Boeing!

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted October 11, 2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that there were ever any 8mm releases of these, but I understand that these spots were animated by UPA. As for the one at 5:09, I assume that the telecine operator had to switch the density wheel to manual to avoid subjecting the viewers to wild swings in brightness.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC