8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Variety of 8mm and Super 8mm Films For Sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Variety of 8mm and Super 8mm Films For Sale
Rachel Manconi
Junior

- posted November 25, 2014 11:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Manconi   Author's Homepage   Email Rachel Manconi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning Everyone!

My name is Rachel and I am the Online Sales Coordinator for The Scrap Exchange. We are a nonprofit creative reuse arts center located in Durham, North Carolina. Our mission is to promote creativity, environmental awareness, and community through reuse. A while ago we received a sizable donation of 8mm and Super 8mm films, and one of our volunteers was in contact with a moderator of this forum, who was kind enough to take the time to review our items as well as give us some tips and general values for our collection. We have finally been able to process and list these items for sale at auction in our eBay store, and all proceeds from the sales will go towards supporting The Scrap Exchange!

Here is the link for the films up for auction.
Below I will include the list of titles as well as starting auction price, and current auction price for the items (as of noon today). I will also notate which items have a reserve price. Some auctions will be ending tonight, while others will not be ending until Sunday night. All auctions are enrolled in eBay's Global Shipping Program, so they are able to be shipped worldwide. Please feel free to contact me here, on eBay or directly at my email if you have any questions or concerns, I'm happy to help in any way that I can!

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They" -- New In Box (Sold!)
Starting Auction Price: $50
Current Auction Price: $51

"Barbershop" (Relisted, See Below)
Starting Auction Price: $10
Current Auction Price: $10

"The Tramp" -- Charlie Chaplin (Sold!)

"Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother" -- Gene Wilder, New In Box (Relisted, See Below)

"North By Northwest" -- Alfred Hitchcock, New In Box, Two Box Set*** (Currently unavailable)
Current Auction Price: $66

"Psycho" -- Alfred Hitchcock (Sold!)
Current Auction Price: $21

"Frankenstein" - Boris Karloff (Relisted, See Below)
Current Auction Price: $50

"Filming The Big Thrills" (Relisted, See Below)

"The Birth of a Nation" -- 12 reel set (Relisted, See Below)

"Fall of the House of Usher" (Sold!)

"Dentist" (Relisted, See Below)

"The Second 100 Years" -- Laurel & Hardy (Sold!)

"The Blob" -- Steve McQueen (Sold!)
Current Auction Price: $13.50

"Creature From The Black Lagoon" -- New In Box (Sold!)

"Frenzy" -- Alfred Hitchcock, New In Box (Sold!)

"I'm No Angel" -- Mae West, Cary Grant (Relisted, See Below)

"The Raven" -- Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi (Sold!)
Current Auction Price: $15.50

"Mouse In Manhattan" -- Tom & Jerry, New In Box (Sold!)

"Some Like It Hot" -- Marilyn Monroe, New In Box*** (Sold!)
Current Auction Price: $107

"Gone With The Wind" -- 8 Reel Set, New In Box***
Current Auction Price: $89.88

"Orphans of the Storm" -- 12 Reel Set

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" -- 6 Reel Set***

"Rain"

"Son of the Sheik" -- Rudolph Valentino
*Please note for this film the box lists this as an "8mm Complete Edition" but the leader has been updated to say it is "Reel 6." Since we are unable to test films we cannot be certain if this is the complete film or a part of a serial version of the film.

"Ballet Mechanique"

"Broken Blossoms" -- 4 Reel Set

"Tillie's Punctured Romance" -- Reel 2 Only

***Indicates there is a reserve price on the item.

Edit 11/27/14: Updated listing to indicate items that have sold.

[ November 28, 2014, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Rachel Manconi ]

|  IP: Logged

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Items that are unopened are probably damaged, I learned this the hard way after buying some lots of super8 films still warped in their plastic shrink. One of films worst enemies is not having the ability to breath, this films have maybe been in the wrap since the seventies or even the sixties, thatīs a long time for the chemicals in the film to damage it.

Rachel Manconi
Junior

- posted November 25, 2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Rachel Manconi   Author's Homepage   Email Rachel Manconi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Thank you so much for bringing that up Julian, as I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Most, if not all, of the new in box items have damage to the shrink wrap (tears, holes, etc), but it is still a gamble as far as their condition. We don't usually accept returns, but it doesn't feel right to me to not accept a return on an unplayable item, even though we are selling these as is and the item would be returned opened. Many people (collectors or not) wish to enjoy these films the way they used to be shown, and I know if I could bid on these items that I would be buying them to play them. Therefore, please bid with confidence that should anyone currently, or in the future, bid and win an item and upon receiving it are unhappy with its condition, please reach out to us and let us know! We would like to make the situation right and discuss a return/refund.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 01:02 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some nice films there .

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree about unopened films being damaged. I recently bought two Tom and Jerry cartoons in brittle and yellowed shrink wrap and they had been that way since 1983 or before. That was when Walton Films went out of business so they had to be at least that old. Both were perfect, unfaded and just as new. Derann features like the 'Some Like It Hot' are not that old. As long as they have not been in the damp the parts would be okay. Film keeps better than a lot of things, in fact.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 01:20 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it meant that evern new films could be faded when opened ,but looking at some of these its not likely as said derann stuff is not that old and would be on low fade.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Un-opened films doesn't automatically mean damaged, but there is more of a chance than not that you will have color fade, especially if they were printed on quick fade Eastman.

On the other hand, however, if you are lucky enough to find one that has been stored in a cool dry place for all these years, it might still have vintage or near vintage color. Certainly a gamble.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rachel Manconi
Junior

- posted November 28, 2014 09:49 PM      Profile for Rachel Manconi   Author's Homepage   Email Rachel Manconi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Evening Everyone,

We have relisted a selection of the unsold films from the first round of auctions with slightly lower starting bids. These are only three day auctions, and as of right now we will not be relisting these for a third time after the auctions have ended. The list is as follows:
"Barbershop"
Starting Auction Price: $8
Current Auction Price: $8

"Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother" -- Gene Wilder, New In Box

"Frankenstein" - Boris Karloff
Starting Auction Price: $30
Current Auction Price: $30

"Filming The Big Thrills"

"The Birth of a Nation" -- 12 reel set
Starting Auction Price: $25
Current Auction Price: $25

"Dentist"

"The Adventurer" -- Charlie Chaplin

"Cameos of Comedy"

"A Dash Through The Clouds"

"I'm No Angel" -- Mae West, Cary Grant

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2014 04:24 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was my Gone With the Wind purchase. I certainly hope for the price I paid that it still in good condition. I'll be opening and looking as soon as they arrive.

Since I have no projector, I may need one of my friends here to view it for me!

Anyone able to tell me anything about Red Foxx "Adventures of Robin Hood" print? Color condition? Film base?

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2014 05:06 AM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the "Adventures of Robin Hood" auction sitting in front of me- Stopped to ask the question here about what the Red Fox film version looked like here, renewing this thread, poked around a bit more here in the archives, decided it was the print I wanted, and someone had used the Buy It Now option 5 minutes earlier and got it!! Did one of you guys snag my print from under my nose? LOL! Just kidding- if you did- congrats- I'll get one when it's meant to be!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 05, 2014 05:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All the Red Fox features tend to be on LPP with fantastic colour. Better getting these titles from Red Fox than the ones Derann released of theirs after they went bust as the negatives will have been run less and therefore should be cleaner with regard to negative sparkle etc etc.

Having said that, I have had one or two over the past few years in original boxes but they still had a fair bit of sparkle from the negs but still, this must surely be less than the later released Derann ones.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC