8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Send me a list! ---> not good on sale category (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Send me a list! ---> not good on sale category
Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting list of films Robert, what I find odd though is the cost of a second hand 35mm film in comparison to the 8mm film. It makes the 35mm better value because of there inherent picture quality (bigger frame ) and the fact that they are complete features. there was a copy of 101 dalmations on Ebay a week a go and that went for less than the super 8 version would sell for. Its not really something you can show at home, but these seem to me better value, pound for pound. Keep them coming Robert.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 04:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.

Paul - regarding screening 35mm films at home - it really is possible and very affordable film stock wise if you buy a (semi) portable (they're heavy beasts) 35mm projector such as a Spectra - mine has 5000ft capacity and is only slightly bigger than my 16mm Eiki 4000p.

Back on topic - I personally have no problem whether a seller wishes to simply say 'email me for a list' or list their films direct for sale - the films are their property and the preferred method of listing should be up to the seller.

Prices should always be listed though and not commented on in the actual 'for sale' thread for the sake of good manners.

Kevin

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 06:07 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, if we are allowd to do "send me alist/catalog" then the other way around in 8mm forum, somebody may say "send me a PM how to fix a GS1200"

In General Yak, a member will say "I have a funny accident, send me an email to know it"

In equipment wanted category, I will write "I am looking for an 8mm equipment, send me a PM to know what I am looking for".... [Big Grin]

This forum is supposed to share the information, not such things...

One big thing I just found ...apparently as per the forum rules say, I quote:

quote:
RULE #10: Rules regarding the Equipment Wanted/For Sale category.:

UNACCEPTABLE:

If you are just advertising your normal line of goods, this is not the place for you. Go away.
If you are discontinuing something from your normal line of goods, posting a note here stating "we are almost sold out" will be deleted.
If your post says something such as "contact us for a catalog", just turn around right now.

So I guess we have to follow the forum rules. It is your decision now, Doug.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 15, 2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well stated Winbert ... best source is the actual rules, which we can all sometimes tend to forget. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 15, 2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if we are going to have very strict adherence to the rules, it's perhaps valid to point out that the title and text of RULE #10 entirely refers to the Equipment Wanted/For Sale category and there's no reference whatsoever to film sales! It's also debatable whether a sales list - at least in the UK - means exactly the same thing as a catalog.

I don't entirely understand Winbert's point of view with regard to why this is such a big issue. Robert has indicated why he doesn't want to post the list on the forum and clearly a good proportion of the membership consider his reasons understandable. So what's to be gained by forcing him to not offer a list and depriving members from having the chance to see it? I would have thought the main priority is to end the 'hijacking' and critical debate regarding prices; if that's achieved, then everyone will be happy to list their films here.

Considering Winbert said "I am myself not interested with his list", it seems a bit extreme to find the offer of it "disturbing" when it's easy to simply ignore it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 15, 2015 02:46 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

A little clarification is needed here. The rule you quoted was put in place for the equipment sale sections of the Film-Tech Cinema Systems professional sites. I asked Brad Miller about this and he explained that rule #10 was specifically intended to discourage the huge Theater Supply peddlers, not a single film collector selling prints.

So yes, it is my decision. Film lists are allowed.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 15, 2015 06:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three posts deleted.

If one is upset about threads being hijacked, try not engage in the same behavior.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 15, 2015 08:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK then Doug fair enough you are the moderator here,

Adrian, just to clarify why I was disturbed, while I was not interested with the list has been explained on my earlier post.

It was supposed this forum is to share information. My view is posts such as "where is the list?", "I have not received it", "send me a list" is not information that is informative.

In fact another forum that we all know has now stated a new rule whoever use to post only for selling his/her films then he/she was asked to use ebay and will no longer be able to post.

Another thing which I raised too is about the internet traffic. The more uninformative posts such as "where is the list?", "I have not received it", "send me a list" is a burden cost to the owner of the forum. However since Brad Miller has no objection for this matter, so I don't see any more problem here.

We cannot say "just ignore if you don't like the post", because the more uninformative information in the forum is the harder we found specific topics we are looking for using google or the forum search engine. Again this is about the internet traffic since server is flooded with so many texts that must be sorted out. (ps: Have you found it is disturbing now when searching on google with keywords "super 8" or "8mm" you are flooded with the information about "Super 8" a film of Steven Spielberg and "8mm" a film of Nicolas Cage? that such the thing)

I share the view that hijacking post and criticizing the prices are not a good manner

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC