8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wizard of Oz/Adventures of Robin Hood (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wizard of Oz/Adventures of Robin Hood
Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for both features in Super 8. I've given up being able to afford them in 16mm!! Keep me in mind if you have either one...

|  IP: Logged

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jack, there is a print of the wizard of oz super 8mm on UK eBay, the seller is asking for £350.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 16, 2015 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a bit steep though, they can be had for £120 up usually.

Best Mark.

PS I found the UK Blu Ray dissapointing just out of interest.

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the alert- That comes to 541.00 in US currency. If it can be had for less, I will keep looking. Does anyone recognize the distributor of this particular print?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8mm-FEATURE-The-Wizard-Of-Oz-4-x-600ft-Sound-AU506-/281657830019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41941d6a83

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I've see nice reductions of Oz in 16mm for 275 to $350...and with decent color. They do show up sometimes. In this case of Oz....the low fade super 8 prints are likely to be more expensive than the 16's.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 17, 2015 07:32 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jack there are lots of low fade prints of this about, take your time and you will get one under £150.

Best Mark.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005312# 000000

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 17, 2015 09:26 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but they usually last 5 minutes on this forum! So you must be quick! [Smile]
Normally they sell for around $350-600 I have noticed. Ian's price was very good for that print.
Thanks Ian! [Smile]

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here is my hope: someone will see this want ad, and contact me. No need to post it on the board if you know I'm interested. My email addy is

ozmite@aol.com

Yes- I've had a lifelong love affair with this film. Even my email address reflects that!

Jack

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 17, 2015 07:47 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading that the last munchkin is still alive, the middle lad ( of the 3 ) in the lollipop song.

He was born in 1920 and is 95. Jerry Maren.

He is also the last surviving member of the cast.

The hanging Munchkin is also a bit mysterious as well

Best Mark.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2015 10:02 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid around $700AU for my super8 copy and it was worth every dollar.
It's a fantastic MGM release print from the mid 80"s after they did the restoration. Reel 1 is B&W film stock and reels 2-4 are Kodak LPP.

I can also say knowing this seller with the ebay print that it will be a well looked after copy. [Big Grin]

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print sounds wonderful. Did it come straight from the MGM labs? Were these only sold overseas? Am I missing out on a great deal if I don't jump on this? You piqued my interest again Jason. Isn't there a Derann release of Oz? Guidance... I need guidance!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 18, 2015 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a UK sale Jack its probably 99% likely to be a Derann copy, Usually lpp poly but I think there may be a few low fade agfa poly copies around as well.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 18, 2015 01:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What confuses me is the box, which isn't Derann, (or is it? It doesn't look like it).

Who did that print that's in the auction? I must say, it is a lovely print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print on eBay is a Derann release.

My print came from MGM, the story goes it was given out to some of the staff that worked on it after the restoration which could explain a persons name labeled on the side of the box.
Saying that l don't know if there is any truth to it and I'm still researching that one [Smile]

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2015 08:01 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow- can't believe MGM was giving away Super 8 prints to people. I have some beautiful 16mm prints from the MGM labs with the leaders still on them. The Champ, Easter Parade (LPP), Dinner At Eight... I'm gonna trust you guys on finding a good copy of Oz for less than this auction. I can't afford it anyways! I need to get a projector instead!! lol!

Attention Gary Crawford!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 07:30 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully Jack prices will get back down to earth a bit.

I don`t like selling films for more than I paid, there seems to have been a sort of price craziness since Derann closed.

When 16mm Blackhawks stopped being printed in the US 4 or 5 years ago L+H,s went silly for a whie but have now settled back down to sensible levels.Possibly lower than before.

Just about everything film now is 2nd hand and the sooner it deflates the better for the hobby itself. And hopefully some newbies possibly staying in even.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason - your print sounds fascinating, especially as the first reel is b/w stock. I'm virtually certain that no Derann releases (even of b/w films) were on b/w stock by the time that OZ was released and I think (perhaps someone can confirm this) that the b/w sequence ends well before the end of reel one on the Derann release. So I think it can be ruled out that MGM simply obtained some prints from Derann, even if the story you heard is correct. Have you checked the leaders for any clues?

Mark - I can't share your reservations about receiving more than I paid for a film. I've so often received far less than what I paid that it makes a very rare and pleasant change if the reverse happens!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 08:45 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

I will look at the print when l get a chance but l know the first reel is all B&W and colour does not start until reel two.

Andrea Fastami
Junior

- posted April 19, 2015 04:42 PM      Profile for Andrea Fastami   Email Andrea Fastami   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jack hope you ll find a copy of ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD here you can see a clip from my print (not for sale)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9rmahISR1w

it is a Red Fox print with superb colors and amazing sharp..in the years i owned also a few of this one from Derann but i must say that Red Fox are better especially in terms of neg35mm-marks and in terms of sharpness. [Smile]

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 07:36 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those colors are amazing indeed. So where do I find one of those Red Fox prints? Does anyone want to sell me a Derann Oz or a Red Fox Robin Hood?

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very interesting, the first reel of my print of Oz is on B&W stock I always assumed it was a Derann print though. It came in a white box with the MGM 400ft release art work on it that I assumed the previous owner had put together. I haven't projected it for at least 15 years, but remember it having gorgeous colours. I hope it still has...

I'd be interested to know if all the Derann prints were on all colour stock.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2015 02:10 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

It sound like we have the same prints from MGM as mine has the same white card box and picture from the 400ft release. [Smile]

The colour should be fine as it's LPP stock

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2015 02:16 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, thanks for that, very interesting. I shall have to dig out the original box and check for a name!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ian Williams Jack
Junior

- posted May 04, 2015 11:45 AM      Profile for Ian Williams Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just posted my collection of films for sale and among it is Adventures of Robin Hood - Errol Flynn. Is this the version you're looking for. I am new to this Forum so finding my way around.

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 08:19 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you an email- I have been away for a few days from the Forum- Sure hope I didn't miss out again! The key is if this is the full length print- Red Fox is even better!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC