8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Aliens or Silence of the Lambs wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aliens or Silence of the Lambs wanted
Viktor Gibarti
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 03:49 AM      Profile for Viktor Gibarti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for the Aliens or Silence of the Lambs super 8 Derann films for normal price!

bolexfilm@gmail.com

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 14, 2015 01:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And me to

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 14, 2015 02:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And probably one half of all us Super 8mm fanatics! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 14, 2015 04:42 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normal price will be very subjective these days! Normal for Aliens used to be around $400 but normal now may be $600.Abnormal for that film would be $1500! But maybe that is the new Normal! Normal for Silence used to be $400, the last one sold for $600 so that might be the new normal. Isn't our hobby expensive? [Smile]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true....what is a normal price?! As they increase in the amount collectors are willing to pay then the normal price increases too.
Most of us are content with the 400ft versions that have colour fade for low prices .... I know that a pristine copy would be heaven .... But I still enjoy watching my $20 copy [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 07:05 PM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A print not as nice as mine sold on eBay for $1500 a couple of weeks ago, Good prints of this are getting rare. That's why the prices are getting so high. I wish super 8 would make a comeback like vinyl has, it would be fantastic to have prints of the latest films.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 14, 2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 03:15 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I haven't got a copy of Silence of the lambs - but I do have Alien and Aliens, Predator, Robocop and the first 3 Die Hard films to name but a few.

David

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 04:54 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a print of "Silence of the Lambs" going for £50 in an early 90's Blackpool auction, ah, those were the days!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 09:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
indeed Barry! David, you have some superb films there, well done to you for keeping hold of so many top titles in days where temptation to cash in on them is an easy temptation to cave in to.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 09:54 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt if there are large numbers of prints of 'Silence' in circulation - it's an outstanding film but too grim to strike everyone as repeatable. When it was announced, I immediately ordered a copy but I ended up returning two because of print problems. They were difficult to describe but I thought they might possibly represent inconsistent application of fluid in a wet gate printing situation - but I may well be wrong. In the end I gave up and opted for a print of 'Alien' instead, which wasn't a bad alternative! But I suspect that quite a few prints of 'Silence' may have the flaw I saw.

Incidentally, I can still recall Derek saying at an Open Day that because Rank were distributing Orion films, Derann asked whether by any chance they could release Orion titles on Super 8. He wasn't optimistic and it was a pleasant surprise when Rank said yes!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a goldmine of useful information surrounding this hobby of ours Adrian, thank you for sharing that with us all! [Smile]

I had heard of a few misdemeanors surrounding the print quality on "Silence", but its still a film I would dearly love to own one day so long as the printing or negative flaws were all it contained.

Until then, I have the Blu Ray thankfully.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 10:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the norm?
Well, if e-bay shut down and only dealers sold films,(as they still do), the stupid prices would probably die down a bit,although i suspect they would never return to the good day's.
I have been looking for the 400 footer of The invisible man for a while, on ebay it always seems to go for £50 upwards, yet i just got one from a dealer for £20 with OB.
Castle of Death always seems to go for £30+ on ebay, just bought one from a dealer for £10.
Last year after years of searching i got The rocky horror 400 footer, it has great colours and OB for £10, ebay, not much less that £50 if your lucky.Dealers are still reasonable but as there become less dealers then the prices will go high.
My guess is,(and i think the obvious statement) if Derann were still around these features would never fetch these prices. Its nice to see our films going up in value but, as i have said before, no way will i pay stupid money for a movie, I'll leave that to the stupid people who have more money then sense.
The magic of film is my number one but if i can use my new digital projector to watch Die Hard on the big screen for a couple of quid, & with Dolby 5:1 sound, or pay £300-£400 to buy it on 8,(probably with a mark or two on it & only stereo sound at best) it doesn't take a genius to work out which way i'll go with that one. [Wink]
I missed Silence of the Lambs a couple of years a ago for a very good price, i know another forum member beat me to it, but that's as much as i would pay for it give or take £50.It was an exceptional price to. [Mad] [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 15, 2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please remember this thread was started by Viktor, who is looking for the above mentioned prints.

If someone has them for sale please contact him.

To continue a discussion about eBay prices, feel free to start a separate thread.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Viktor Gibarti
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2015 02:27 AM      Profile for Viktor Gibarti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Douglas! [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC