8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Life and Times of Grizzly Adams super 8 optical feature (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Life and Times of Grizzly Adams super 8 optical feature
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 08, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'LL NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!

Either the super 8 optical sound feature, or a mint condition LPP or other low fade stock 16MM print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Tim Hartnell
Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Tim Hartnell   Email Tim Hartnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351762386109
Hi osi i know it's not what you are after but there is now a 16mm faded eastman print  of Grizzly on ebay just thought i would let you know.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 17, 2016 04:18 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go get it Osi! It's something until you fine a better print in 20 years! [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, if I'm going to invest in a 16MM, it's got to have good color. It's shame, as it's the same generation (and film stock) as another copy that I once had on 16MM, but this one didn't hold up as well, apparantly. A shame, as it is in, apprantly, excellent condition, excpet for the obvious color loss. If it wasn't for that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. [Frown]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 20, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of interest, how much is this title worth on S8 Optical or LPP, anyway? Hardly a popular title, I'd say!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting: this is basically Sunn Pictures attempt at making a de-Russianized "When the North Wind Blows" (-in the middle of the Cold War, no less) and it went over well enough to become a TV series and make Dan Haggerty quite famous.

Prints of "When the North Wind Blows" are fairly common and were produced by both Viacom and Walton and in both Super-8 and 16mm. -You'd think at that rate "Grizzly" would be an easy find.

-but sometimes lawyers get involved...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2016 02:46 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he finds it soon, as this is going head to head with coronation street as they longest running soap in history.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2016 03:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do too...

-but then what?

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 20, 2016 05:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if such a thing even existed on Super 8mm! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did wonder about this. Has anyone seen a print on S8? I don't know a whole lot about 8mm and what was released but this title seems to me to not have been popular enough to have warranted a S8 release.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that someone overseas was attempting to sell (for a few years I think) a print on low fade of "When The North Wind Blows", for all i know, they might still be trying to sell it.

I've never seen a super 8 magnetic sound feature film of "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams", which I also find odd, as you would think that with the success of the TV show, it might have been a decent seller. beyond the optical sound super 8 print, I haven't seen one.

I do, however, have a feature print of "the Adventures of Frontier Fremont" on magnetic sound super 8. Unfortunately, i has a Kodak Sp fade, and while it's watchable, it annoying at the same time. Curiously, this one stars both Dan Haggerty AND Denver Pyle, who would later be in the "Grizzly' TV series, but was not in the original Grizzly Adams" feature film from 1974.

That "Frontier fremont' is so rare in any format, that i have not been able to re-record it into english! I bought this from france.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 02:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I know prints of Grizzly Adams exist on Super 8mm Optical sound, but I seriously doubt one without any fade exists now in 2016.

I think if the print can be found on Super 8mm, you would have to accept the inevitable fade that would come with it now.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bettin that you are right, Andrew, but the "sporting" side of me will not lose hope. I've said it before, but i finally found a pristine color print of "Conduct Unbecoming" (1975), that was actually printed on the same stock as every other faded print I had ran into, but was apparantly stored away in the best conditions.

... so, if i can find one that had been largely hidden in someones basement for the last 40 or so years ... then I will be a very happy man! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 22, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you found one, what would you want after that?

You are much more the hunter than I am: I kind of lay in the shade and see what drifts by out on the Savanna and decide how hungry I am before I go after it. (Is that a little too "Lion King"? -the circle of film?)

I wanted a Derann Fantasia 2000 for years. It was very hypothetical once Derann stopped printing new prints. (Kind of like "Some day I'm gonna date a Super Model!")

-but at CineSea a couple of times back I was helping Doug unload his car and he told me he was selling his at a very fair price. (My reaction was almost..."Are you serious?!!")

It never made it inside the building!

-yet 30 seconds before I had no plans of ever owning that title!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really much, Steve, I'm already "paring down" my collection ever so slightly.

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Super 8 colour (faded) optical sound print of The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams. 3 x 400' I think, but will need to check. smcconway @ hotmail. com

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi, If you find a faded print, you can try using a color correction filter kit on the lens. I have a lens mount with a set of three blue gels that help cancel out the red fade on a print.

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2016 10:44 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
did You see this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Feature-THE-LIFE-AND-TIMES-OF-GRIZZLY-ADAMS-1974-Sunn-Classics-release-/351762386109?hash=item51e6ac0cbd:g:UIwAAOSw-4BXZF-V

Regards,
Oliver

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry: now I saw that You already know about this print.
Regards
Oliver

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2016 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon ...

I've sent you a PM. [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 29, 2016 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi knows ALL the prints of "Grizzly Adams" (-except for THE print...)

-he's probably owned most of 'em too!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve ...

That's actually quite funny! Actually, i have only owned, to my best knowledge, tow prints of this film, but i am always worried of running into a print that I have already sold down the line, all over again. [Smile]

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2016 02:35 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, it's not impossible there must be a recently struck LPP for TV or theatrical print lurking around somewhere.

I was very fortunate to find The Italian Job the original with Michael Caine some years back on LPP stock. One that i certainly treasure.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 29, 2016 02:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's actually quite funny!
-and it was meant as low level comedy, so that's ok!

A part of me hopes once you find the thing you keep doing these posts anyway...it's like the change of seasons: just lets us know that life continues onward!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 29, 2016 07:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
pissing in the wind springs to mind! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

If it were my decision in this late hour, I'd simply be bringing out the filters and getting in touch with Nigel here ASAP if it was a film I dearly wanted, and had been chasing for years! [Big Grin] [Wink]

For perfect colour with this film, there is always digital dare I say?

[ June 30, 2016, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC