8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Super rarity CASTLE OF DOOM (VAMPYR) 1932 SOLD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super rarity CASTLE OF DOOM (VAMPYR) 1932 SOLD
Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2016 09:22 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wowie, I have no affiliation with the seller (long- time video dealer SINISTER CINEMA)on Ebay, but they're selling their English-language 8mm print of Carl Dreyer's VAMPYR. For those unfamiliar this is a weird narrated re-edit done in the early 30s, because the US distributor had no idea what to do with Dreyer's masterpiece, for audiences eager to see more films like DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN.

It's quite a curiosity, and I have never, never, never, seen a print of it in any format come to market. All video versions are sourced from VHS tapes of this Sinister Cinema 8mm print. If I could actually project 8mm sound, I'd be all over it.

castle of doom ebay

[ November 27, 2016, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Timothy Ramzyk ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is fairly rare, but does turn up occasionally. I haven't seen a sound version though, so that would appear to make it rare. I once had a standard 8mm version of it, which i sold years ago, very poor quality.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a Super 8 Sound print of Vampyr (from Thunderbird), and I think Niles had it too, but I've never seen the CASTLE OF DOOM. Since I'm kind of a Vampyr freak it's got my keen interest.

I can't imagine how a silent print of this edit would play since it's whole restructuring was allow for narration, which frequently took license on Dreyer's concept.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 28, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's narration on it? Ruins the movie, surely??

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 02:59 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, it's far from the ideal way to see VAMPYR (thus far that honor goes to either the Eureka or Criterion DVD restorations), but for fans of the film it is a great curiosity and definite rarity to any format. Essentially it seems to be a 1934 "roadshow" reediting, that was no doubt approved by no one.

One thing that also might appeal to collectors is that this edit, though shorn of several minutes nonetheless does appear to contain the more graphic vampire staking shortened from restored European prints. This footage is not lost, and is an extra on the DVDs, but here it's part of the print itself (presuming this 8mm print mirrors the video transfer of this version).

For those curious, CASTLE OF DOOM can be viewed on Youtube.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2016 01:49 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the title of your prints,all you guys who have or,have seen it,VAMPYR or CASTLE OF DOOM ? I have recently acquired CASTLE.., a silent std 8 print but without any company logo or any writings on the leaders.Are all copies,from T'bird or Niles or whoever else carrying this title? As far as I remember,all 8 mm ads referred to it as VAMPYR.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Super 8 sound print of VAMPYR was from Thunderbird with the title "VAMPYR," and was a reel longer.

I see CASTLE OF DOOM went for $142.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC