8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking For : "THE SNOWMAN" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking For : "THE SNOWMAN"
Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 02:42 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for this Super 8 "The Snowman" perfect/excellent condition..........

Phil

[ August 27, 2017, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 02:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
One sold to a collector here only a matter of weeks ago.
(The Snowman)

It was advertised on ebay UK and refreshingly, it seemingly was in superb shape and fetched only a modest amount Phil.

They do surface occasionally Phil, so just pounce when you see one. That's the secret with these things, that and a realistic tolerance to an odd imperfection or two.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 03:02 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew and I consider SNOWMAN as a great animated item....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 03:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I still love it also Phil.

Christmas personified! 😊😊

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 03:52 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew, I was telling this is not a urgent situation but...........as I have no snow in the garden at this time,I could need it in a rush !! [Big Grin]

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 08:35 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember "The Snowman" was available as Mono or Stereo sound as well....

Is the Stereo Version definitly much better than Mono ?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I have the stereo version which I purchased from Jean-Marc Tussaint a few years ago. The print is perfect, very sharp, and excellent pastel colors. The stereo sound was very good, but my particular print exhibited some WOW. So I did a re-record from the DVD using my Eumig S938, and ended up with a great stereo re-record. So if you come across just the mono version I would not let that deter you from purchasing it, as a stereo re-record of this particular film is not hard to do - there is NO talking! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 09:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That is an impossible question to answer in all honesty Phil.

There can be so much difference in the recording standards of these prints at times depending on when it was originally purchased, any given day etc etc.

I purchased mine as a stereo print and it was ok, but the difference recording it again makes from a digital master, is unbelievable!

I don't believe from the original tracks supplied by Derann, it would make that much of a difference as to which one you HAVE to find.

Either type will have the necessary balance track provided to allow you to be able to give it a far superior recording than it undoubtedly came with.

No lip sync on this one to concern yourself with, keep it within +/- .2 of a second throughout and it'll look fine, the easiest of any film to record again.

Timings are not AS critical as recording a film with lots and lots of dialogue within it.

BTW, Paul's advice above is of course, absolutely spot on but I would also add, even when it is far more difficult to do on "talky" films such as Hello Dolly for example,.. it is still ALWAYS ALWAYS worth the effort required to achieve a decent result. There is simply no comparison between what CAN be achieved and what IS to begin with.

This even applies to the best of them on pre laminated striped stock. The better it is to begin with, the better you can now make it!

It gives any film, but particularly any film with any musicality attachment, an entire new lease of life!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 09:38 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, we also have the stereo version which like yours also suffered with a little bit of wow, but only for a short section.
We had it re recorded by Derann twice but it ws always the same when it was returned. We have lived with it ever since but maybe one day we will have it re recorded [Wink]
Great picture though.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 09:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In quieter times Tom, I will do this for you if like, it is dead dead easy to achieve superb results on this one

This would take me a third of the time I spent piecing up Vidar's 400ft digest, because it was a digest!
Digests are the worse of any to record again. Often not worth the time and effort it takes to do them imo.

You won't believe the difference it makes though Tom, honestly!! [Wink]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 09:58 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul , Tom, Andrew

A WOW ? Does it means sound accelerate / decelerate, or Audio level increase / decrease , or an extra noise is overlapping intermitently ?

What projector did you use when observing phenomena ?
Did you visualy check sound strips for concerned area ?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 10:08 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow as in wow and flutter is what was meant Phil.
Wow can be easily detected by even a reasonably sensitive human ear as can flutter.

If wow is present, it matters none which machine you play it back on. Even a CD machine can do nothing to smooth out something that was inherent to begin with from either the master material utilized or the machinery to record it with initially.

I use a T610 btw Phil, for all of my recording work except duplicating a balance track from a main.

Then the RM 8008 produces the best and easiest results of any machine, I find.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW is a fluctuation in sonic pitch, usually due to a cyclic variation in film speed over the sound head, caused by mechanical eccentricity of the sound capstan, or fluctuating tension on the film take up. It can originate at the sound recording stage when the film is first being recorded by the manufacturer, so that the recording itself permanently has WOW present. It can also be totally a problem caused by the projector, some projectors apparently being much more prone to WOW than others.
In the case of The Snowman the evidence suggests that the WOW is on the sound track as recorded by Derann, and the only solution is a re-record. Thankfully, the DVD is free of any WOW, and as Andrew has said, a stellar stereo re-recording is not at all hard to do on this particular film. And well worth while, as the music and singing of Walking In the Air is just beautiful.
The Snowman is an 8mm film to be treasured. Can't wait to see my print once more on Christmas Eve.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Thanks for this very informative precision, I am figuring out what it is...

Yes , then I don't understand when it was still available from Derann, I haven't order it .....I suppose Derann sold a lot of this title

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It was available over a long period of time Phil (relatively).

Not something that could be said for every new release, not by any means.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to make sure you get the correct DVD as all the new ones in the UK have a different opening and only have the original Raymond Briggs opening as a special feature and wont play the whole film with it (I think). Recently when broadcast on Channel 4 (in UK), they used the David Bowie intro. It seems no one wants you to see the original anymore. Thank god we can on Super 8.

Graham S

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 05:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Graham but I have the original digital master material on file if anyone ever needed a copy to re record this again.

I am sure others have the same. [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 20, 2016 03:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a very kind offer Andrew, i would of course insist on paying you something for your time to. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 20, 2016 04:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't expect anything last time Tom, so I wouldn't for anything I'd do for you, of course Tom.

It a Labour of Love nowadays our hobby, and we are all in it together!

Well that's my take on it anyhow.
[Smile] [Wink]

Anyhow, has anyone got a decent print of The Snowman for Phil, that they would like to cash in on?

Surely there must be one?

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help Andrew !!! [Wink]

To be note I am away from Dec26th until JAN4th, with no Web available, so I can't check any message for this period.

[ December 20, 2016, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 12:18 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Folks,

Still looking for Snowman , "reasonable" price please.....

Thanks

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2017 01:16 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still Looking for......

Thanks in advance

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 15, 2017 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful film and a great print from Derann. This was one case where I felt that Derann's stereo prints really spoke for themselves, (at least, in the case of my print, the stereo sound is very good!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2017 01:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If a title still made it onto laminated stock, they usually all are around that era.

Though perfectly acceptable, it's amazing just how much better they can sound though.
I've done my own of this title and the quality of sound is really incredible given the musicality of this track throughout.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 16, 2017 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Derann print of The Snowman had good stereo sound but also had annoying WOW associated with it. Like Andrew, I opted to do a stereo re-record from the DVD, using my Eumig S938, and got a superb sounding track. So now the film not only looks wonderful but sounds amazing as well.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC