8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking For : "THE SNOWMAN" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking For : "THE SNOWMAN"
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 16, 2017 11:22 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was muffled and dull sounding stereo. I re-recorded mine too. Only 2 Derann prints I found had good stereo sound and that was "Lady and the Tramp"', and "Gremlins".

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 16, 2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Jungle Book was excellent also on my own print, as originally recorded by Derann.

Speed is decent also considering its on pasted stripe. Die Hard was very low and hissy until recorded again.
Now it's very good indeed.

Out of the laminated era, Gremlins, Police Acedamy 2, Never Say Never, The Jolsen Story, The Wizard of Oz, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and plenty of others I can instantly think of, were all perfectly satisfactory straight from Derann.
Nearly all of these however were only recorded on the main track so it's pretty much as you'd expect really.

[ September 16, 2017, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2017 04:53 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course , "Snowman" in DVD will be a very good alternative.

(Does it comes in BlueRay too?)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 17, 2017 08:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen it on Blu Ray Phil but it might do I suppose linked with the newer productions of these classics.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2017 09:01 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still Looking for.......

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2017 10:10 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

There is a print of "The Snowman" on ebay, perhaps you have seen it, but if not, here it is:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-SNOWMAN-600FT-SUPER-8MM-COLOUR-SOUND/192377082105?hash=item2cca9150f9:g:km8AAOSwFb5aGz9-

(Not my listing....)

Kind Regards,
Greg

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 01:49 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Greg,

Thanks for this information (I had not seen that as I hardly track super 8 on Ebay)!!

I am "keeping an eye" on this auction. The print is showing a green line, so I hope price will stay reasonable by the way.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2017 11:32 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The auction finished for about US$166, which in my opinion is too high considering the scratch.

But, as you know, a film is worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it!

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 03:58 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Bill, 100% !!

My own Phylosophy is " Getting Nothing is better than getting a one eye horse".

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 04:55 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going slightly off subject has anyone compared the Super 8mm Derann print with the Blu-Ray disc on a projector ?

If the answer is yes what were your findings ?

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2017 05:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I've only encountered the Snowman DVD release. It's grainy enough that I suspect it was shot on 16mm film. The Derann print has a rather acceptable level of grain, so the two are quite comparable, with the exception that the film has less contrast. But that fits the visual style quite nicely.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2017 02:16 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another....

eBay listing...

Not mine!
Good luck.
Rick

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 12, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as it happens, this super 8 release by Derann was the first time this title could be enjoyed as a film because it was of course a television programme made by channel 4 [Wink]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2017 04:46 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the Derann release have the author doing the intro not Bowie as on the DVD?I seem to remember reading that in a review, I only have the Walking in the Air extract.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2017 06:05 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be a Xmas party pooper and state I hate THE SNOWMAN on TV or Film. That bloody Walking In The Air song really leaves me cold and just bugs me big time. So
BAH HUMBUG ! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 12, 2017 10:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

The Derann 600ft prints have Raymond Briggs doing the introduction. David Bowie was used to push the film into the american market...they needed a big name, hence David Bowie is on the VHS pre-recorded tapes of long ago as with the later DVDs.

I have both the stereo and mono 600ft prints, and I must say both are very good. The print quality and sound is certainly better on the 600ft version than the very full 200ft Walking in the Air that I also have.

Dont be put of with a mono print if one pops up. The one I have sounds fine to me. The 16mm prints of The Snowman does not have the Walking in the Air by Peter Auty, only a instrumental version, which in my view is a pity.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 13, 2017 12:40 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 13, 2017 02:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remeber buying a print from Derann in December 95 for 29.99 plus post.Those were the days !!!

But we missed the postman and they took it to a sorting office 30 miles away in the middle of town, around an hour usually as rural here.

But I was so desperate to get it we drove in especially.

It was absolutely mint, on kodak LPP and really lovely.

Seems like just the other day, how it goes etc.

Hope you get one.

Best Mark.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2017 03:26 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom ... I know , I know but the blinking thing is on telly nearly every year and I have to suffer it if the grandkids are around. I would not even consider giving it shelf space on any format. The grandkids did ask me to buy a copy for a bigscreen presentation this year which is the reason why I am asking if the DVD or Blu-Ray version is any good.

So far I have turned a 'deaf ear ' on this one ... BUT ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I wonder if I should try and track down a 16 mill print as Graham states that the Walking In The Air song is not on it but an instrumental version only. I also wonder if the grandkids would notice its absence.
[Smile]

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2017 04:12 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't like all the same things David so i get it,I love the Snowman personally and will be showing it again this year,it's a sort of tradition in my house.

The 16mm prints are instrumental only on the song parts,it was due to copyright at the time I think,it's still a good part of the film but the super 8 song versions for me are better. The DVD versions are very good too,can't comment on bluray as I've not seen it,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2017 04:19 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that information Mark.

Joking aside i rather like the animation its the song i dislike.

So a 16 mill copy might suit me just fine. [Smile]

--------------------

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2017 03:49 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Graham. I have the mono version and it sounds so dynamic that I don't even miss the stereo, especially having read here that it's got issues.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC