8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Derann Star Wars Feature On Ebay UK (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Derann Star Wars Feature On Ebay UK
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Keith's your man David,either that or David W again.

I'm sure Simon can also add to the mix with his Fumeo. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't most 16mm prints iffy too. For rental only not that many were legally for sale.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2017 12:40 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes David most 16mm feature prints were never for sale to the public. They were licenced for hire only.

Some were sold however to private collectors via the back door
when they were meant to be destroyed because of wear or the licence had expired.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 09, 2017 04:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when Derann first started selling them on there lists they were told by one of the major movie company's, stop selling them or lose all your 8mm rights, it was a number of years before they started selling them again. The first time around they were exceptionally cheap. That was my first dabs at 16. Freebie & the Bean, £30, Sweeney 2 £55, they had very good colours to, two films i wish i hadn't sold. [Frown]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a bout about 20 years deran sold a full wall of 16mm features they had about 400 piled up 30.00 each or 4 for 100 .I remember buying about 300 pounds worth and my father to I still have couple they were all good titles I think they came from a hire company

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 09, 2017 04:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But as you say Tom, they were risking their legitimate Super 8mm license, and to that end, it does make you wonder why they ever bothered, especially as they were clearly not making much from any at these prices. [Confused]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 09, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This article is the best way to describe the above situation (owning 35mm films):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/news/a31736/stolen-corvette-returned-to-owner-40-years-later/

The Corvette may have been transfered many times form one hand to another, perhaps has gone through 5 owners.

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th owner may have paid a sum of money to the previous owner.

But the question is what happen between the 1st owner to 2nd owner? Did the 2nd owner bought it or stole it? If the 2nd owner bought it from the 1st owner, than that was a legit Corvette. But if the 2nd owner stole it then 3rd, 4th, or 5th owner may got in trouble.

The 1st owner can come to the 5th owner and claimed it back without need to pay anything.

And that is happening in the story of Corvette above. [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 05:21 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have summed it all up nicely Winbert.

If someone steals or gives away any of my property without
my consent the property is still technically mine.
No matter how much hands it has passed through over time.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 09:26 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ... If something is stolen from you, you need to file a complaint about the "item" stolen from you and a clear description plus a number of production if it contains one. A car has a chassis number etc, . I had a Peter Pan print in 16mm from Disney that was given by Disney to a very famous movie star. Many prints were produced and given to movie producers. It has to be proven that a movie print is stolen. Otherwise I think there's doubt. That is why suddenly eBay started to allow prints even in 35mm to be sold on their site. I remember the days when ebay closed accounts from people selling movie prints. Even selling trailers was problematic for several years. Today nobody seems to care anymore.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This print of star wars was relisted, and then sold for £880.00 with a buy it now price on the 10th march, so still a fantastic price but again the ebay bid bid bid fever can take over.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 13, 2017 01:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert, we are talking 35MM here. 16MM is a different case, it was once sold so we could buy it. Universal 8 was selling both super 8mm and 16mm version. It was advertised in its catalog.

quote:
a clear description plus a number of production if it contains one. A car has a chassis number etc,
If it is intended, film can also be indentified where, when and who print it. Every print will have the batch printing numbers, plus lab who done it. Even sometime slitting numbers.

quote:
That is why suddenly eBay started to allow prints even in 35mm to be sold on their site.
That is no wonder, Ebay is just looking for money. Some people even selling counterfeit (fake/copy) DVD in Ebay. Remmember Paul Foster was arrested for doing so?

Read this post: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003798

--------------------
Winbert

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2017 07:42 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi yes I did realist Star Wars as a buy it now price as a second chance offer owing to the fact that I could not make contact with the winning bidder, however should he want to pay I can still send him another copy I have.
Just as good.

Regards
Ian

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC