8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Dark Star & Purple Rose of Cairo - missing footage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dark Star & Purple Rose of Cairo - missing footage
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, someone out there has a few pieces and parts of a former good collection that apparently got parceled out to live auction. I have the final 52 minutes of Purple Rose of Cairo missing the first 30 (and how is it there's a color fade on a 1985 film?), and the final 3 reels of "Dark Star" missing the first one (18-ish minutes). Either they got damaged and thrown out, or there's odd reels out there thanks to the handling by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

[ June 20, 2017, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Bill Brandenstein ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2017 05:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi friends, "Purple Rose" has been located. Thank you, and long live Super 8 (to quote Osi!)!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 19, 2017 11:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have "Purple", a lovely and bittersweet film, especially the ending.

To answer the question, those who produced super 8 optical sound prints, used whatever was the cheapest film stock available, and once L.P.P. came out, I'm sure that Kodak SP (which is what "Purple" was printed on, as the prints I have seen in general, are going brown), became a cheaper film stock to buy for a film purpose that was only slated to last a few months, originally.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Has that brownish fading, Osi, just as expected.

However, I can't find any sort of edge marking whatsoever to confirm.

Plus it's polyester. Well, that's irrelevant, as Super 8 on polyester happened on all sorts of fading color stocks.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2017 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Bill, and it can be deucibly hard to figure out film stocks on super 8 optical sound prints, mostly due to the dark purplish/black edge to the sprocket area, which came about, i believe, in the late 70's, but pre 79 or so prints are easy to identify the stock. Usually either Kodak SP, eastman, (non L.P.P.) or, in the more cases, FUJI. The Fuji prints from the late 70's STILL look great, (as my "Hooper" print attests too).

One thing I must confess that i have never seen, is an AGFA print on super 8 optical sound.

I have often wondered, however, what film stocks were used by some conmpany in the early days of super 8 optical sound features ... as I have both "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" and "Snoopy Come Home" (69 and 72), and both of these are as brilliant color as the day they were printed, but in both cases, no marking as to what the film stock was, and the sprocket area is clean on both print, no black stripe of color, there's just no markings.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2017 03:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT is fascinating. Low fade in the early 70s? Wonder if some refrigeration was involved back in those early years... when few knew to do that.

So at some point I heard that the majority of airline prints were manufactured by Crest National here in Hollywood - a great company now defunct, by the way - which would explain the limited array of stocks.

It's not Kodachrome reversal, is it?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2017 11:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling that "Cinema Center Films' (which was the distributor for John Waynes, "Batjac' film productions as well), insisted on low fade stock of some kind, and think this might be why there is a print or two of "El Dorado' that is rumored to be an actual Technicolor super 8 print.

It makes me wonder if these two peanuts films are technicolor prints? Unfortunately, unless some actual info from the technicolor company comes out with a list of technicolot super 8 prints that were struck, we'll never know.

... But the peanuts features were also releases by "Cinema Center Films" and from what i have observed, all the Cinema Center film releases on super 8, have been low fade prints.

One of those curiosities that I can wonder about, but probably never know for an absolute fact.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2017 08:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, how certain are you of the printing date? I mean, completely low fade from 1969 would be as rare as Super 8 Technicolor! Like there should be neither! However, if it's the latter, there are telltale signs that would make it quite identifiable (nature of the emulsion, color of the sound track, etc.).

Or could this be a later printing of the earlier title, as unlikely as THAT seems.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good question ...

Especially in the early days of Super 8 optical sound features, unless the feature was part of a library of films (as they did in South Africa), the early optical sound features were released on super 8 as they were released theatrically.

There were the odd re-releases however. An example of this was the Frank Sinatra/Steve McQueen war film 'Never So few". This was originally released in 1959. I looked up info on this film and it was in fact, re-released in the late 60's, no doubt to cash in on Steve McQueen's big box office draw power, (as Frankie's draw power was already in it's "waning"), and so it became available as an early super 8 optical sound feature.

MGM re-released a number of they're classics as well. "Showboat" was a super 8 optical sound feature, for instance, as was "African Queen" (which i saw on CHC's list so many years ago).

But as a general rule, out in circulation theatically, out on super 8 optical sound. [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2017 05:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever travel to SoCal, prints in hand, I'd like to suggest a screening or three are in order!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2017 05:41 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. So after weeks of intermittently messaging the seller, I finally get this reply:
"No clue what Your talking about! Sorry can't help"

Hope the buyer of Reel 1 is a forum member and stumbles across this!!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC