8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WTB Ghostbusters airline version

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB Ghostbusters airline version
Ben Webb
Junior

- posted February 27, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Ben Webb   Email Ben Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any information on the version of Ghostbusters that was aired only in airlines? It had a different, shorter cut of the film. I've never actually seen this version of the film, and I'm mostly interested in it from a preservation standpoint. The fact that there is an official cut of the film that had a release that is also seemingly lost is pretty mind blowing to me.

Any help or leads would be appreciated - even if it's just a name of an airline that for sure had it at one point.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ben ...

I have not specifically seen this optical feature (and it has been YEARS since I'ver seen one offered), but almost all the optical sound features were edited to a greater or lesser extent, especially if the original run-time was 120 minutes or longer (as the cartridges that would play in the super 8 optical sound airline projectors had to be less than two hours) ...

... and, being that the providers of these features knew that any number of people could be watching these, (kids included), usually, scenes with excessive foul language and obviously, nudity, would be cut out.

Now, being that "Ghostbusters' had no nudity and only occasional cussing, much of what would have been edited out, would be this or that scene, perhaps Dan Ackroyd being "pleasured" by a ghost, for instance ...

In some cases, being that TV versions were being made for future use, often super 8 optical features would simply be TV versions for the ailines.

However, this isn't always the case, as I have "Sudden Impact" and that all of Clint Eastwoods cussing intact, so, you really never know hat you'll get, though it's nice to own some of these film on super 8, thanks to the airline features.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Blasko
Junior

- posted February 27, 2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blasko   Email Mike Blasko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also be interested in knowing about this version as well. I assume it would be SP pan and scan. Would be interesting to see.

Mike Blasko
Junior

- posted February 27, 2018 07:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blasko   Email Mike Blasko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the 4k of this looks..rough. The 35mm is ok/good. The 16mm original scopes look excellent...I wonder the sharpness on the s8? It might be amazing. Too bad it will be flat and SP.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2018 11:07 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested to see that too!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 28, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the mid 1980's the image quality was absolutely SUPERB on the optical sound super 8's. The ONLY exception to the rule that i have ever found was "Tender Mercies" which, while it was thankfully saved on low fade film stock, does have a grainy, slightly hard to focus nature to it.

The 1980's super 8 opticals were so sharp that, (yes, i have told this story before), i had a 16MM collector over one day, and I idn't tell him that I was showing a super 8 optical print of a film (Broadway Danny Rose), and he said, "Finally, you're switching to 16MM!", and then I had the good pleasure of showing him the film is super 8 optical. he did a lot of double takes looking at the image and back to the film reels! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ben Webb
Junior

- posted February 28, 2018 12:24 PM      Profile for Ben Webb   Email Ben Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So after doing some research, digging around the web, and talking to some people I'm starting to think the airline version of Ghostbusters is either the same as the TV version or it's so obscure that only a handful have actually seen it. I mean, so little information actually exists that this thread is the top result for "Ghostbusters airline" in Google.

So far Osi has been one of the best sources of information and by his account he's not seen it. Still not giving up on the search just in case it actually does differ somehow.

Mike Blasko
Junior

- posted February 28, 2018 11:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blasko   Email Mike Blasko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but didn’t Swank (the 16mm rental company) have multiple versions of this? I know they at least had Scope and flat and we rented the flat for an outdoor show a few years (ok, probably 5+ now). I thought I recalled a ‘PG,’ version being around in 16mm at some point also.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC