8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » EL CID feature for sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EL CID feature for sale
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2019 02:55 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not mine. I have a print of this and it is magnificent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8mm-Film-Elcid-8-X600ft-Charlton-Heston/401822537590?hash=item5d8e7d5776:g:vIEAAOSwccFdNCzn

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 24, 2019 03:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great in the screenshots, and considering the length of the film, it would be a bargain for £299.99 if only one person bid (no bids so far).

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2019 02:04 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see it sold for £561.17. To be really honest here for as good as the print is the Blu-Ray blows it into the weeds in terms of picture quality and sound for a fraction of the cost. [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2019 12:37 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, Point taken. The Lone Wolf Super 8mm release of of EL CID is, simply put, a remarkable achievement on small gauge fomat. For that, we as Cine fans and collectors should realize that owning the film itself may take priority over a disc version, no matter the cost.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 05, 2019 04:25 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Burton. If I was offered a choice of the Blu-ray or Super 8 versions, I'd go for the Super 8, even if I had to guarantee that I would never sell it! Seeing the quality achieved would still be a genuine thrill, along with the sense that you're experiencing the film via the medium it was initially shown by.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 05, 2019 11:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just that feeling of actually watching an actual film print. Perhaps more grain, perhaps this or that little imperfection ...

I do think it's a lot like the argument between CD's and Vinyl.

Though CD (and digital download) quality has upgraded a LOT since the beginning of CD's those 30 years ago (?!), but there are still those that really LOVE that Vinyl sound ... and you
'll never convince them otherwise ...

... and that is as it should be! [Smile]

Just to add a little note ...

I always find it funny that a top of the line super 8 low fade print will actually tend to sell for a good deal more than a 16MM print. Though they are other different film titles (with wear issues and such) I saw some other low fade features being advertised in his sales, and these were well under 100.00 dollars for the titles on 16MM.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to note that the original selling price was £425 plus £3 postage, from Lone Wolf.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 05, 2019 07:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's just something so special about having a favorite film in the form of an actual film print on reels, even though BD is technically superior.
But of course I am preaching to the choir! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2019 01:01 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Exactly. This is after all the 8mm Forum. I have no issue with digital VS. Film comparisons, but rather think that berating the purchase of a high cost print
on the basis the Digital version costs less, and may look superior is not the point. The point is that the hobbiest knows what he or she wants. If it is a rare feature like EL CID, then Go for it.
They should be praised for their contribution to keeping Film Collecting alive.

[ August 06, 2019, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2019 01:43 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another EL CID feature for weeks at eBay.de.
€ 299 is the minimum bid. Buy-it-now € 420.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Komplettfassung-S8-El-Cid-1961-ca-1171m-CS-Ton-Stereo-Derann/223604055206?hash=item340fd71ca6:g:agkAAOSwbgtchNBK

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC