8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking for WALLACE & GROMIT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for WALLACE & GROMIT
Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2019 05:10 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Blackpool saturday screening (which was more than 6 hours of amazing documentaries, cartoons, specials & much more)
we also watched a WALLACE & GROMIT masterpiece for the first time on Super-8.
I would love to call one print my own, so I am looking for one.
How many titles had been released?
Maybe someone can help me making this dream come true.
Thank You

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2019 06:04 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know only "A Grand Day Out" as shown at Blackpool was released and not many copies were printed, possibly due to damage to the negative.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 23, 2019 06:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Oliver,

Officially, Derann struck two test prints and then a run of six, so there are 8 of these prints. (-Officially)

Given that, It's interesting the used traffic this one has. I remember it in the Derann used lists several times in "new" condition and priced what the new print sold for. I've seen it up on Ebay twice too. (The sellers were asking huge bucks for them, but in the end, they didn't sell for particularly more than the original price.)

Given only eight prints, it's also surprising the number of people that discuss their own prints on Forum. At the time, we knew who got the six and these aren't them!

-So it's a rare print, but maybe not as rare as we think it is!

Good Luck: if you are patient, I think you will get one sooner or later. (I can state for a fact it is an awesome print!)

BTW: Allegedly, Derann also struck test prints for the other two W&G shorts before the unfortunate negative accident. (-Allegedly)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2019 07:09 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
That’s very interesting.
Thank You for all these informations.
Regards
Oliver

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 23, 2019 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are at least 30 copies out there Oliver.

And possibly a few more sneaked out. I did hear they may have been a 2nd 30 done but its rhumour.

Apparently someone tipped the wink re this release sadly, so it had to be withdrawn as would of sold and sold and kept selling in droves.

Such a shame.

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 23, 2019 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's natural to think when we saw a listing on the Derann used list, it referred to a single print.

Who's to say in this case it didn't refer to maybe a dozen?

-All of these people saying "I Got IT!!!", when what really happened was "I got ONE of them!!!"

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2019 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, hard to find!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 25, 2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the 'used' prints that displayed absolutely no trace of ever being screened by the previous owner!

I recall that after sales ceased, there was a reference in a sales list to a small number that had not been sold due to a slight "fault", that if I remember rightly was a very small number of printed in black frames at some point. The advertisement said that buyers could simply cut out these frames. Did anyone buy or see evidence of one of these prints?

Test prints of the other two would be quite something - I don't think I've previously heard this. I once heard the full 'official' story of the incredible sequence of bad luck that afflicted all three releases. I also heard - and maybe this was correct - that Derann had great difficulty obtaining master material, but eventually acquired a 35mm print of each from Japan.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 25, 2019 01:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a lot of excitement right around the time that the six were shipped including the announcement that the test prints were done for the other two.

It was no longer than a week or so later this whole topic became (ummm) controversial and a lot of this discussion kind of evaporated!

I'll say this much: I was pretty broke at the time, but short of selling a kidney I would have found a way to scare up the money to own all three!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2019 01:58 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have chicken run, that's as close as I got....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 25, 2019 02:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange when I look back that it was advertised for a while on the second hand list and nobody seemed that interested in it, so I bought it. I think it was advertised as having a single lab splice and that was it.

I ran it again just last week and its a excellent print with really good sound. I cant fault it. I hope you find a good print without paying the kind of "out of this world" prices, people are asking these days.

A quick screen shot taken last week, the print is a lot sharper than what is shown in this photo.
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC