8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo lead wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo lead wanted
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 18, 2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have an Elmo lead which goes between an Elmo 110R camera and the SR1 recorder. I cant seem to track one down. The lead has a a small 5 pin socket at each end with a screw collar.

Thanks Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 02, 2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Misery loves company. I've been looking for that very same cable for a few months. Best of luck.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2004 02:06 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Are you looking to "collect" the Elmo lead in question or trying to find a suitable cable to connect your camera and recorder?

If you're just trying to collect the parts and assemble the cable yourself I'd be willing to look around here (as an old EE hobbiest I've access to quite a few odd size connectors) for suitable connectors, out of courtesy of course, you'd pay the postage.

Revised: On second thought, if I have what you need lying around I'll just send it. I'm sure I could use your knowledge on GS-1200's somewhere down the road. I'll need a detailed description of the connector types in question, both ends.

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 03, 2004 09:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, have sent you a private message via the forum.
Doug, it seems to be a very elusive lead. If I could find the connectors then I would make the lead. Its wired straight through pin for pin so there is nothing difficult about it. I would also like to find a GS remote but thats not high on the priorities. If I stumble accross one then I will buy it.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2004 08:02 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,

I sent you a response to your email yesterday, I'd need a picture of the socket on the camera, pin DIN sockets come in a lot of different sizes. Also, if you could measure the diamater of the socket for scale that may help.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 05, 2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
Maybe you could email me direct please. I have not seen a response from you so maybe a direct email would be the answer.
mrelmouk@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks, Kev.

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2004 08:00 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I replied to your emailed message last week, must have become fouled up in customs. [Wink] I just emailed you again using the address above. Hopefully it'll get thru, if not I asked if you could send me a picture of the connector and a physical measurement of the diameter for scaling purposes. There have been a lot of din sockets over the years. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but "Who's they?"

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2004 02:50 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kev and John

I have one of these leads [sorry I can't part with it] would you like me to email you photos of the connectors?

Mike

ps. just thought, if you have any problem finding the connectors the Elmo C-10 synchro adapter comes with a lead with one connector on it. These appear on Ebay Germany from time to time and usually only go for a few Euros. You'd need two of course to make up a full lead [Wink] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 11, 2004 05:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Seeing a picture of the plug would be useful please.

Mnay thanks, Kev.

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Kev

have sent you a couple of pics to your email address.

Mike

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 12, 2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Peckham,

If you wouldn't mind passsing a pic or two my way......

Doug

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Mr Meltzer, I shall get on to it right away!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 13, 2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, pictures recieved. They look a bit like mini xlr plugs. Now I know what they look like I will have a further look round the net etc.
John, I will send a pic over to you so that you can see the plug as well.
Doug, If you manage to track them down perhaps you could let me know and I will do likewise.
Kev.

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2004 05:51 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I received your picture, I'm sorry to say I haven't seen one of these however I'll keep my eyes on the lookout.

Enjoying myself down in the lone star state, will be back from vacation next week.

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 13, 2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pictures, Mike. Time to head out to the old electronic/camera stores with boxes full of dusty cables.....
Doug

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2004 11:31 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I dug thru some older engineering connector catalogs at work today (Markatek, Cannon, Amp, Amphenol, Bendix etc), but I didn't see anything remotely similar to your six pin din female jack. I saw tons of din connectors but they were either the opposite sex, male instead of female, and usually much larger in diameter. If anyone would have had something in stock Markatek would have been a logical vendor, they cater to the professional broadcast industry and carry a lot of din connector styles.

I'll keep my eyes open but purchasing connectors from vendor stock doesn't look good, flea markets and camera shops may be your best bet.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my Elmo sync lead into the local radio shop, a strange little shop run by HAM radio enthusiasts that stocks loads of old electronics gear, mostly radio and reel to reel tape carcasses but some times the odd cine proector too. They were very excited about the Elmo plug, full of admiration for it and compliments on how it had been engineered but sadly had never seen anything like it before [Frown] .

Doug and Kev, I still think your best bet would be to pick up a couple of the Elmo C-10 Synchro adapters from the German Ebay site. They each come with one of the plugs you need so you will each need two to make up a lead. They usually sell for just a few Euros and do come up quite regularly, there seems to be one regular seller that has a stock of NOS Elmo gear which includes these chappies.

Best to come to some agreement between you both though so that you don't end up bidding against each other [Wink] .

I'll keep looking also.

Mike

ps. have put a note on the film shooting forum complete with photos in case any one there can help; http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6420&sid=fa7ae041e28fd6d52aa54a430cb18ab4

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2004 01:33 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Are there any markings at all that can be seen on the connector housing on your equipment? A symbol, numbers, letters etc., if I knew the make of the connector that may help.

No luck searching my catalogs.

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 22, 2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I mention I was also looking for the pulse sync cable that would connect the SR-1 to the GS-1200?

Doug

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 24, 2004 04:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, thats just std din plugs which you should be able to get fron Tandy (redio shack)6 pin.

John there are no markings on the socket from what I can see.

Mike are there any markings on the plug?

Kev.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 24, 2004 12:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Thanks. Shortly after posting I realized exactly what you wrote. However, 6 pin DIN cables are not easy to come by. Radio Shack carries the 6 pin mini DIN, which will not work. You can special order the correct cable through them but it is only available in 100 ft. lengths!(It's used for security cameras, and the cable is male-female.) After a few internet searches I found a company in Virginia that has something I can work with, after a bit of soldering.

Doug

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 28, 2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, If you have any real probs I can certainly get the parts and make up a lead which will then wing it's way to the US. Just let me know.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC