8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » eumig 810D lux refusal to thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eumig 810D lux refusal to thread
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the first time I've gotten a machine off ebay that failed to work, and I'm at a loss to figure it out. It threads beautifully until the film gets down around where it enters the sound channel...after the gate .....and then it just stops ..refuses to go on...the film gets torn all up. Luckily I use junk film. I can thread it frame by frame and it still won't go any further. I've looked in there for anything in the way...old film bits or something and can find nothing. It would seem to be something hopefully simple...since the machine otherwise seems to be in mint operating condition...motor...lamp...nice hum on the sound circuit...etc. Has anyone run into this before? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 02, 2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,
A couple of thoughts come to mind:
1) Are you trimming the film leader correctly?- you may want to cut a generous 45 degree chamfer on both sides of the leading edge of the film to assist it aligning up with the sound head entry posts. Make sure you are NOT trying to thread the film with the control knob in the fully clockwise ( second position). In this position the sound head pressure pads are already pressing on the sound heads, and the film will not be able to push through the sound head. You MUST thread at the first clockwise position of the control knob.

2) If this fails, make sure that the sound head pressure pads are being retracted when you put the machine into the forward for threading position (First clockwise position). Thre is a mechanical linkage from the control knob, which pulls the pressure pad downwards from the sound head during threading. If this is NOT happening, you will have to remove the sound head attachment bolt, and pull out the sound head.(This is real easy- remove front side cover and bottom side panel (1 screw). The sound head is held in position by one screw and an alignment pin on the chassis. Then re-install the sound head with the control knob in the fully clockwise position. This will ensure that the linkage engages the sound head pressure pad tab on the bottom of the sound head.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC