8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo ST-1200 HD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-1200 HD
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking of buying a Elmo ST-1200 HD projector.What are they like and roughly how much should you pay

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 09, 2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
They are extremely nice machines, ask Chip that question he collects them [Big Grin]

They are very reliable and one in a very good condition will last you for years to come. Would be a good idea to make sure it's had a service if coming from a dealer.

As for price, I would say that somewhere between £200-350. I would expect it to be an HD model. Mag and Optical sound version would be up near the top end of that bracket as Elmo mainly sold the mag only version here in the UK.

Anyone interested I have an excellent condition fully serviced HD Mag version for £275.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would agree with Kevin on the robustness. I have 2 machines, a mag only which I sourced in the UK and one from Germany that has both Mag and Optical. They are built like tanks and with a decent 1.1 lens a fair light output. There is far less to go wrong than the GS 1200. I also like the area where you feed in the film- it looks like it won't wear as badly as others.

One thing to watch is that some have a rubber coating on the shutter wheel that can deteriorate.

So, how long have you been in to films and what do you run at the moment?

--------------------
Tony

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 09, 2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mark,

Nice to have you on the forum. The ST-1200 is a great model. Aside from belt replacement, mine hasn't given me a problem. The 150w bulb gives a decent amount of illumination and most importantly, there's less chance of seriously injuring your back lifting one of those than a GS.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since Kevin mentioned it, I might as well admit he's right. I own 6 machines they are all ST1200 models. I have one pair of HD's /w/ optical; another pair of HD's mag only; and a pair of D's /w/ optical. NONE are for sale. They hold up well to what use I give them. Expect to pay between $300.00-$450.00 in decent shape. AVOID these units on Ebay as they will need critical repair. I often stay away from any description on Ebay that says "eveything seems to work yadda yadda yadda ....I have no film to test it." Add to that, if I notice the picture with the knob in fan only mode and the reels have motion blur, that means it's lost the linkage and everything is moving when it should only be still. If the lamp switch is in the ON position and the machine is NOT running (in the picture), then I use the term, "it's wacked." The machine would not run without problems, but would be a great parts unit. But at what fair price? Even asking the seller questions......whats the point. They don't know much about these units, because they have bought at flea markets or yard sales and are trying to make a quick buck.

CG

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 09, 2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, where are you going to buy an ST-1200 off ebay for $300 to $450 from someone who knows about them? I bought two on ebay. One worked upon arrival and the other needed belts and repair to a cold joint lamp connection(ebay cost was $180) plus a $20 square belt set and Kev's free advice about the lamp problem. [Smile]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A former vendor in Florida sold me my pair of mag units for $350.00 each, but I had to buy both of them so really it was indeed $700.00. But even still, it was a dealer now closed, and all they needed were belts. :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC