8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Wanted: Elmo GS 1200 Sound head

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Elmo GS 1200 Sound head
Erkki Tikkanen
Junior

- posted March 25, 2006 04:29 AM      Profile for Erkki Tikkanen   Email Erkki Tikkanen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for Elmo GS 1200 sound head. My GS sound head does not work properly anymore, it just makes some strange wows and the sound is about 50 % of the normal level.

Erkki

|  IP: Logged

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2006 05:07 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it is the sound head, I haven't heard of these wearing out. But if it has, a believe the Goko sound editor has the same sound head.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 25, 2006 06:53 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's very unlikely to be the Head itself. I have 2 spare sets but have not needed to ever use them. Worn heads would not cause wow on the sound. This is more likely to be due to insufficient pressure on the sound heads and or the capstan. In other words I think you have insufficiebt pressure on the soundheads which would give rise to both the symptoms you are talking of.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Erkki Tikkanen
Junior

- posted March 29, 2006 03:23 AM      Profile for Erkki Tikkanen   Email Erkki Tikkanen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark and Kevin [Smile]

I have to check the pressure of Elmo´s sound head. Hope it helps.
I have also Goko RM8008 editor, which has the same sound head, but I like to use this Goko, so I thought to find another sound head. But if it is a pressure problem, I think I can fix it by myself.

Erkki

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 29, 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erkki, check the pressure system (the "black cube" with four pins). Maybe some of the pins are no longer properly aligned (sp?), stuck, or worn out. Disassemble it, clean it, lube it and see if it makes a difference. You may try to exchange the erasing pins with the playing pins (top and bottom). Be careful when opening the cube, pins are mounted with vicious little springs. I'll never thank Ugo enough for that tip.
I had this problem. Cleaning and exchanging the pins worked for a while.
On one of my machines, I finally purchased replacement (roughly 40 euros) from Wittner in Germany and sound is now really much, much, much, much better.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 29, 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jen-Marc,
I wondered what exactly you obtained for about 40 Euros - was it the whole 'cube' with the pins?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 29, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, the whole "cube". 44.10 euros to be precise. Add taxes, shipping, bank draft expenses...

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 31, 2006 03:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Erkki, There is an adjustment procedure for setting this block up. You can download the whole GS1200 Manual from the manuals section. This will give you the correct adjustments.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 31, 2006 05:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've been getting poor quality sound on one of my GS1200'S, so I thought I would give Jean-Marc's tip a try. I disassembled the cube, cleaned and polished all four pins, and then re-assembled with the pins switched around. What a difference! Sound quality is greatly improved, particularly on the balance track 2.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 02:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again: thank also Ugo, he's the one who taught me that trick.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is the manuals section and how do you get there. I can`t seem to suss it!!!!!
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Click on "Manuals" in the blue bar on the left. You will then go into the manuals section. Just click on the section you are interested on or browse down the whole section.

Thats quite an old trick with the pins in the sound presser block. It's important to make sure that its setup as per the manual afterwards for presures etc other wise you could end up with excessive wear etc. Again the manual explains all this.

Kev.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev, I don`t seem to have that bar bit showing here, wonder why.
Thanks Mark.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 01, 2006 01:36 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just visit http://www.film-tech.com/ and away you go. (That's the main page of the server which hosts these forums.)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 11:24 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait! Hold the door Richard! This sounds like a magnitized problem. Do you have a demagnitizer? You can pick one up cheap. Try that first. [Smile]

[ April 02, 2006, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 02, 2006 12:02 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, I did find one on eBay for dirt-cheap (listed in the wrong category and with a weird description) [Big Grin] but even among the "proper" listings there are some good deals to be had, in the $20-$25 range (including shipping). [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC